Springfield XD Forum banner

Open Carry

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Jakemd98 
#1 ·
I've had a carry permit since March 2012, but never used it at all till this year. I've recently tried open carry, for which you realistically need a permit in WI (since you'll likely get without 1,000 ft of a school without even knowing it).

I have found one big problem in working with what I've got: what I've got is too damn big. My lightest gun is a Glock 34 (competition 9mm), so it's the size of a 1911. Wear that in a holster on your belt and the muzzle end with dig into the seat cushion when you sit, as the butt of the grip will dig into the rear of the seat.

I hate the idea of buying yet another gun for no purpose other than carry and I truly hate small guns that simply do not fit my XL hands. I refuse to buy a gun that leaves my pinkie dangling in mid air. It seems that asserting one's rights is not easy.

#5 ·
Open carry in WI requires a permit if you get within 1,000 feet of a school, which you'll surely do in any urban area no matter how hard you try to avoid doing so. Dems put that in the law to ensure that everyone would have to get a permit.

#7 ·
Yeah, and I can't figure out how they do it. I realize a G34 is made to be virtually the same size as a 1911, though much lighter. How anyone could tolerate hauling around a full-size steel 40-ounce 1911 daily along with a couple spare mags is totally incomprehensible to me. A G34 is bad enough.

I know those who carry a 1911 point out that gun, despite its weight has one advantage: it's very flat.

#8 ·
Yeah, and I can't figure out how they do it. I realize a G34 is made to be virtually the same size as a 1911, though much lighter. How anyone could tolerate hauling around a full-size steel 40-ounce 1911 daily along with a couple spare mags is totally incomprehensible to me. A G34 is bad enough.
You get used to it. I had the advantage of carrying a 1911 in the Army. I now cc afull sized 1911 R1 every day. I don't even notice the weight or the weight of the two 8 rd magazines. You will notice the weight the first couple of weeks (maybe three or four), however, after that no beig deal.

#16 ·
I hate the idea of buying yet another gun for no purpose other than carry and I truly hate small guns that simply do not fit my XL hands. I refuse to buy a gun that leaves my pinkie dangling in mid air. It seems that asserting one's rights is not easy.
I hate buying a gun that I know I won't carry it seems like a waste to me. I cannot relate course I've been ccing since was 21 and OCing since 19

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

#17 ·
If open carry is legal, I support a persons right to use that mode of carry but I will say that highlighting yourself as the obviously armed person in the room- against a backdrop of seeming unarmed people does not seem like good self defense tactic.

#18 ·
I constantly see OC'ers using simple holsters with nothing more than a snap or friction fit for retention. I can't even begin to list the number of times I could've walked up behind a guy and snatched his weapon while he has his face buried in his phone. While I was getting snow tires on the wife's car last month, I saw a guy OC'ing a cocked and locked 1911, who fell asleep in the lobby!

My belief is that open carry is more trouble than it's worth. Most cops shot on duty are shot with their own weapon. That's with level 3 retention holsters and hours of weapons retention training. It quickly gets old trying to keep distance between yourself and every single stranger you walk past in the discount store.

#23 ·
Jed and Greg O I'm with you
You can't have too many and a carry gun is just that
I bought a shield for that purpose and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another type of "carry gun" in fact I'm currently looking at a couple options for a good pocket gun. For those times when you just don't need to "strap on a big one".

#24 ·
seems like your major issue is when you are in the car... fabricate a holster somewhere on your carry side that you can un-holster your gun and slide it into there. it will be more accessible if needed when in the car and will no be a burden on your hip when seated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.