Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the Concealed Carry Forum (moderator please feel free to delete this if it has been addressed before or doesn't belong), but my question is mainly to those of you in law enforcement: Why would anyone in law enforcement prefer to have someone conceal carry rather than open carry?

I have heard things like 'you can open carry but the cops will hassle you'. If that is the case (the Philly incident doesn't count 'cause Philly is just plain strange anyway), what is the rational behind such thinking?

Again, why? I would think that law enforcement folks would prefer open carry over concealed, because with open carry you KNOW there are firearms present! You can SEE them. You don't have to worry about 'is there or is there not?)

Now, I know better than believe that all LE feel this way, I just find it hard to fathom why any of them would....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not a LEO yet but I am applying for the next Police Academy my department offers but my opinion is that you treat everyone as if they have a gun until you can confirm otherwise. As a supporter of the 2nd Amendment I have no problem with CC or OC but CC probably creates less tension for the ignorant citizen population that walk among us. I know and you know that depending on the state OC is perfectly legal but a gun in plain sight can cause someone less informed of the laws to go into panic mode and call the cops. Although the subject may be perfectly legal in his OC it is a waste of time for both the LEOs and the OC party. In the event the OC party doesn't respond to the LEOs in a compliant manner (despite having every legal right to OC and following the laws) he may be detained or arrested. Had the subject chosen CC instead of OC the ignorant citizen would have never spotted the weapon and had no need to call the cops.

If OC was legal in the state of Tx I would do so everyday but I can see why some people prefer CC vs. OC.

Billy

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
...I know and you know that depending on the state OC is perfectly legal but a gun in plain sight can cause someone less informed of the laws to go into panic mode and call the cops. ... Had the subject chosen CC instead of OC the ignorant citizen would have never spotted the weapon and had no need to call the cops.
Most citizens know absolutely nothing about firearms and the laws governing them in the states they live in. If one of these happens to notice the gun on the persons's belt and they don't see a police badge, then they go into panic mode and call the cops. You can understand where this would be a royal pain for LEOs.

Wisconsin currenly only allows open carry and there have been a number of incidents where cops were called out because someone was legally open carrying. In some of those incidents, the cops, who were either ignorant of the law or disregarded the law, got out of line, and hauled the open carriers off to jail, even though they were doing nothing illegal. I remember reading about one case where a SWAT team was called in to take out some lady who was legally open carrying in church. The police got sued in all cases. -doh!-

Although some OC fans will disagree with me, it is my opinion that OC places you at a higher risk of being killed, should you happen to be seen by some unsavory characters. For example, someone can see your gun and decide they need it to rob a liquor store down the street. They sucker punch you, take your gun, shoot you with it, and then go do the deed. Or say you are in a store and some creeps decide to hold it up. The BGs are going to see your gun and probably shoot you beforehand because they have the advantage. I am sure this factors in to why cops would prefer CC.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would OC if it was legal because I feel it is a strong deterrent to crime. I believe if criminals knew that one out of every 10 or 20 people is open carrying a firearm they would be more hesitant to commit a crime. The town I work in had a shooting that occurred at the video/bookstore my wife and I go to weekly. My wife happened to be at the store checking out when the gunman entered. That subject fired a shotgun and wounded several people. He got into his vehicle and drove to a bar not too far from there and opened fire again...the doorman for the bar was fatally wounded and several others needed medical attention. After that he was chased by police to his house where he ran inside and shot himself.

That was the reason I decided I needed to get my CHL because I believe had there been one person at the video store practicing the 2nd amendment and capable of pulling the trigger then the only fatality might have been the gunman and the doorman from the bar might still be alive today.

There is a quote and I know I am not getting the words exactly correct but it says that all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. CC and OC are my first step in doing something to ensure that evil does not succeed in my town, state, or country.

Billy

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you always carry the gun in your hand, pointed forward, with your finger on the trigger at all times, you reduce draw time and are more likely to act appropriately. Forget open carry or concealed carry; I call it proactive carry!

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you always carry the gun in your hand, pointed forward, with your finger on the trigger at all times, you reduce draw time and are more likely to act appropriately. Forget open carry or concealed carry; I call it proactive carry!
:lol: :lol:

:razz:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Indiana is CC and OC. I cc for a variety of reasons. One, I don't want the bgs to know I am armed until they are looking at the muzzle. I have a friend who just got his permit. He OCs his Sig where ever he goes. It makes a lot of people nervous. Sooner or later, he is going to be chatting with cops about it. LE officers don't like mwag (man with a gun) calls by panicked sheeple. It may be his right, but with rights comes responsibility. Rights exercised with prudence last longer. That church in westburo has a right to say what they want, but their inapropriate methods turn a lot of people off to their message, and they just end up looking like crackpots. My 2¢ anyway.

Sent from my Debranded X10a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
A right not used is hardly a right at all!

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
A guy moved to try and get into my van with me and the kids while I was getting them into the carseat. I heard him, and stepped out; he saw the gun, started stammering and went another way. That's why I open carry.

·
Registered
580 Posts
To each his own.......I have no quarrels against either and situational awareness can be your greatest detterence.......I OC in the country but prefer to CC in town but when I first got my permit I felt the need to show it off.....It may be a right but rights can cost a lot of $$$ that I dont have to donate....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also if you open carry any business can ask you to leave, I know I'll hear the "then I just won't shop there anymore" responses, why go through all that when if you conceal carry you can do it anywhere and don't have to worry about businesses, which are private property asking you to leave....also conceal carry is a definate advantage if the SHTF in a store and the bg's don't know you are carrying, you then have the option of acting when you are at an advantage not possibly being taken out before you know what is happening because they come in CC and have already targeted you..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not a LEO either. Couple of points. People that have a conceal permit have jumped through some hoops. I'm going to think that person has enough training with his/her weapon be safe, Also that person will have some lecture on the civil and criminal liabilities of using a weapon.
Open carry in a big city will bring the swat team to your location.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also not a LEO, but my perspective on open carry is that it can cut both ways. Sure, you might deter someone but on the flip side, if someone is determined to go through with the crime, you just jumped to the top of the shoot list. All in all, for me the negatives outweigh the positives.

I actually kind of get why people react the way they do when they see someone open carry. It's just not common practice anymore in most places, and there's no way for people to know your mental state: are you just a responsible citizen exercising his rights under the Constitution and the laws of your state? Or are you a trigger happy psycho? All they see is a guy with a deadly weapon on his hip and soon you're having a chat with an officer.

From what I hear, most officers in Washington are aware of the law and the conversations tend to be fairly friendly and straightforward. Still, I'd prefer not to have to waste my time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also not a LEO, but my perspective on open carry is that it can cut both ways. Sure, you might deter someone but on the flip side, if someone is determined to go through with the crime, you just jumped to the top of the shoot list. All in all, for me the negatives outweigh the positives.

exactly how I see it. Even if I had the option to OC over CC, I never would. I'd CC. If someone walks in ready to rob a store they're going to survey everyone to see who's OCing, and they're going to start off the robbery by either shooting the person that is OCing or by cracking them over the head with their pistol and knocking them out. I'd rather have the opportunity to figure out what's going on instead of just getting blindsided and (hopefully) waking up after everything's over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts