Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my first AR. It is the bushmaster C-15. I was changing the plate at the but stock last night to put a plate for a single point sling on it. I was very carefull to watch the spring. My wife said something to me and I turned and must of flicked it with my thumb as that thing went flying. So I need to get a new spring. Well I was pretty pissed that I did this and grabed the rifle and must have squeezed the charging handle and it released. I did not have the stock on at that point and one little pin at the end came out as well as soemthing else becase I can hear something in the rifle. I will break it down tonight to see what it is.. My only problem is I dont know were the pin came from. It is very small. any help or direction would be appreciated. I do not have a book or anything on were everything goes. so any recomendations on that would be great too..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can try, I am pretty sure it came from the area that the stock would screw into to, right below the charging handle, I am thinking it has something to do with the Bolt carier or something like that.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
The pin is the detent that goes into the same hole the spring was in. They are for the operation of the selector. Pin goes in first, then the spring which is then held in place by the plate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will check that. But it happened when the charging handle was "released" does that make sense? I dont know that it matters but the stock and buffer were off the rifle when I made this bone headed move. If it is just from the detent from where my flying spring came from but it still sounds like there may be something more because there is a rattle.. I will check when I get home.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
But it happened when the charging handle was "released" does that make sense? I dont know that it matters but the stock and buffer were off the rifle

Not understanding what you mean by "charging handle was released".

Did you not take the upper off of the lower while doing this?
Did you just un-screw the receiver extension (buffer tube) with the rifle put together?

Sounds like it is the BUFFER RETAINER and SPRING rattling around inside your lower.

As you un-screwed the tube from the lower the retainer is held in place by the tube, when you backed it off it shot into the bolt carrier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I did not Remove the uper from the lower. I just unscrewed the buffer. When I say release what I mean is when I was pissed I lost the spring from the back of the lower I grabed the rifle and I must have grabbed it from the charging handle and it released the bolt carrier and that is when I found the little pin. I dont know if it matters that the buffer tube and spring was not on the rifle but that is what I did. I am very new to the AR platform so please excuse my lack of knowledge on terms and the way it goes together. I am trying to learn more as I am addicted to these rifles.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The pin is the detent that goes into the same hole the spring was in. They are for the operation of the selector. Pin goes in first, then the spring which is then held in place by the plate.
Is'nt the selector detent and spring held in by the pistol grip?

Sounds like he launched the rear take down detent spring and if he backed the receiver extension out maybe the buffer retaining pin/spring.

Without pics who knows?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Is't the selector detent and spring held in by the pistol grip?

Sounds like he launched the rear take down detent spring and if he backed the receiver extension out maybe the buffer retaining pin/spring.

Without pics who knows?

yep, meant to say rear take down pin....was reading 3 different forums at the time I posted. :oops:

Yep, he launched the spring from the rear take down, but also launched the buffer retainer and spring to the inside when he took the tube off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, meant to say rear take down pin....was reading 3 different forums at the time I posted. :oops:

Yep, he launched the spring from the rear take down, but also launched the buffer retainer and spring to the inside when he took the tube off.
Thanks for the great Link!! the was exatly what it was. I need to get the take down pin spring because I cant find it any place. what had fallen into the lower was the buffer retainer. I hope the local Gun shop has that darn spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts