Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just realized that I may have wasted a lot of time and money. My powder scale was off and I didn't realize this until after I loaded 230 rounds of Zero 40 S&W FMJTC with only 5 grains of Unique...instead of 6 grains. :shock: I bet it won't even cycle my XD40 Tactical ..... cuss.

What should I do with it?

Updated... rounds fired fine, posted videos in a new reply.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Get ya a bullet puller and start over if ya know which 230 rounds they are.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ouch. I really want to get into loading but I am afraid of stupid mistakes like this. Get a phone call or interruption or moment of ADD and miss something.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Get ya a bullet puller and start over if ya know which 230 rounds they are.
+1. If you do this you can reuse the brass, bullet, powder and primer. You can find a bullet puller for $10-15 at just about anywhere that sells reloading equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Ouch. I really want to get into loading but I am afraid of stupid mistakes like this. Get a phone call or interruption or moment of ADD and miss something.
The fact that you are concerned means you'll be careful.

You can build a system that is virtually foolproof, if you're willing to do so.

If you're loading individual cases and placing them in a loading block, you can look into the cases to see if powder levels are all the same.

In my case, I use a digital scale (Dillon) on which I sit a small powder cup. That cup weighs 121.9 grains, so every time I use it, I get a little check on how the scale is doing.

That scale also comes with a 50-gram weight, which I use to check from time to time as well.

I also have the Lyman check weights, which (IMO) anyone with a scale should have--or check weights of some brand. Yeah, they seem expensive for what they are, but in the end, if your measurement isn't accurate, then what do you have?

On my progressive (Hornady LNL AP), I have the RCBS lockout die which checks the powder level in each case and locks up the press if it's too much or too little. I also check the load being dropped every 50-75 cases, just as a check on the powder drop. I also double-check the OAL of the cartridge.

I guess the moral is this: If you set up a good system, you should be able to reload safely and effectively.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll bet it will cycle it. It's just all that mess when you fire Unique that I hate.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I just realized that I may have wasted a lot of time and money. My powder scale was off and I didn't realize this until after I loaded 230 rounds of Zero 40 S&W FMJTC with only 5 grains of Unique...instead of 6 grains. :shock: I bet it won't even cycle my XD40 Tactical ..... cuss.

What should I do with it?
If it's a std size or TAC, they wiull still likely run, I wouldn't pull them down until you shoot them. This underscores what i always tell newb reloaders, double & triple check everything prior to starting your reloading session, ESPECIALLY your scale/powder measure. Should you have gone the other direction & had 7gr of Unique, that would be a problem. BTW, Unique is a great powder in the 40, not any dirtier than any other, as long as you keep above midrange loads. Unique gets a bad rap for being dirty because guys load it light & it does NOT burn well @ low pressure.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm def gonna fire it first to see if it will cycle reliably. I have reloaded 1000's of rounds without doing something this dumb. The problem was that I did recheck everything and according to my scale, everything was good. I had it on an old metal military style desk and it affected the magnetic dampening on the scale. When I placed the scale on a wooden table, it changed the balance by a full grain.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll bet it will cycle it. It's just all that mess when you fire Unique that I hate.

I hope so but 5.0 grains of Unique seems awful light for a 180 grain FMJTC

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only run 4.9-5.0 gr of Winchester 231 for my 180gr lead 40 reloads and they are humming. Could be that the 231 is lighter then Unique so my 5gr odf 231 is more powder then 5gr of Unique. I highly recommend 231 if you load 9mm, or 45ACP too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What's minimum for that combo? Alliant's site 6.7 gr is max w/ a 180 gold dot. I've not used Unique in .40, but if it's close to minimum, give it a try. If I were to guess, 5.0 isn't so far off as to be scary.
As stated above, I bet they work.
It's worth a check before you start before you start pulling bullets.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm def gonna fire it first to see if it will cycle reliably. I have reloaded 1000's of rounds without doing something this dumb. The problem was that I did recheck everything and according to my scale, everything was good. I had it on an old metal military style desk and it affected the magnetic dampening on the scale. When I placed the scale on a wooden table, it changed the balance by a full grain.
A problem like that would even invalidate double and triple checking, because the checks would be off too. It's good that you discovered it. I bet they'll fire fine, though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I load 175 gr SWC with 5.1 gr of Unique. It has worked just fine. They are pretty accurate and I have not had a single FTE/FTF.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I load 175 gr SWC with 5.1 gr of Unique. It has worked just fine. They are pretty accurate and I have not had a single FTE/FTF.
Me too, but lead bullets require less powder to achieve sim vel/pressures. I still think the gun will run on 5gr/180gr jacketed, they will be soft though.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me too, but lead bullets require less powder to achieve sim vel/pressures. I still think the gun will run on 5gr/180gr jacketed, they will be soft though.
I should find out tomorrow at work during lunch if they will cycle. I don't mind them being soft as long as they will go through paper.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Lyman 49th edition shows 4.9g (and a max of 5.6) as a recomended starting load for unique behind a 180 gr. jacketed HP 1.115 OAL

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
forgive the stumbling around with my words. I was wearing ear muffs and couldn't hear myself talking...ended up sounding sort of dumb :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Figured they would. Damn, I wouldn't even complain about the first group.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts