Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After giving my XD .45 a quick cleaning at the range the other day, I re-assembled the slide (forgetting to install the recoil spring), and put the slide back on the frame. Now I can't get the slide off to re-install the spring. Anybody know how to fix this?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Can't you just manually slide it back? I guess I don't want to try it on mine to confirm it does not work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I've tried everything I can think of with no success. Pulling the trigger and moving the slide forward just seems to engage the striker spring and the slide won't move any farther.

PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS ON YOUR XD! I don't want anyone else to be without this fine handgun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks guys, I've tried everything I can think of with no success. Pulling the trigger and moving the slide forward just seems to engage the striker spring and the slide won't move any farther.

PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS ON YOUR XD! I don't want anyone else to be without this fine handgun.
Push the slide forward until you see the firing pin indicator in the rear of the slide THEN pull the trigger. DO not pull the trigger when you are pushing the slide forward.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
wow close one heritageguy beat me to it

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll definitely keep this in mind when cleaning my pistol.

A long time ago when i first got my XD I forgot to have the disassembly lever flipped up while re-installing the slide. Ended up getting the slide jammed up and after a phone call to one of the smiths at Springfield Armory, he helped me fix it by putting the rear of the slide on a solid surface and using a rubber mallet to hit the trigger guard area to release it. I've actually heard of a few members here making the same mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
heritageguy gave you the goods, good job!:cool:

For the XD, the recoil spring is what cocks the striker, and holds the slide in battery. You can get a feel for this by making sure you pistol in not loaded (leave the magazine out and track the slide several times to check). Feel the force it takes to move the slide while cocked, then dry fire it (always keep the barrel in a safe direction even though you know it is not loaded, good habits) and feel the force it takes now that the striker is released. It is much higher with the striker fired. For the 9/.40 pistols the striker spring is around 4-4.5 lbs force, I have not checked on the .45ACP models.

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
i put the slide on with out the recoil spring so i could understand the mechanics of it better (i think i cant remember it was a wile ago) i couldnt get the slide off but after messing with it for a while i got it off but when i did there was loud click is that normal or should i be woried about something i couldnt see any damage

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dumb ass keeps coming out in me. Did the same thing - forgot to include recoil spring assembly in the reassembly - if you know what I mean. Helpful suggestion by Heritage saved my XD from a certain - embarrassing - trip back to SA. The true value of the internet is in forums such as these. Thanks again.

jrjordan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts