Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thank you.
Maybe something is wrong with the scope I used (vortex viper hs 2.5-10 x 44) it bottomed out trying to get a 50 yd zero. I bought the scope new last year from LA police gear.
After 4 months of waiting I received a zero moa rail from ruger, but already lost interest in the rifle. Will most likely grab a 10/22 this year and dump this one.
I have about half a dozen vortex scopes and never had a problem zeroing any of them so I figured it must be the rail, guess I need to try a different scope to see if this one might be off.

The ruger rep made it sound like I am the only person that doesn't shoot a .22 at 300 yards and that it was my fault I bought the wrong rifle for my shooting preference.
Maybe he was right. It was an impulse purchase that I didn't even know existed until I walked into the LGS one day to pick up a transfer I bought online and he said check this out and handed it to me, I told him to box it up. I went home ordered a scope and bi-pod for it and a week later is when the disappointment began.
Is it a 1” main tube or 30 mm? If one inch, that is the issue. I think most of the 30mm scopes should give you plenty. From a 50 yard zero, you should be between 7 and 8 moa to get to 100. After that it gets a little crazy. My 200 yard dope is 25 moa and 250 is 36.

My scope has 75 moa of travel, i can get 40 moa up from my 50 yard zero then have to back my scope off and use 5-6 moa reticle holdover to get to 300. That means with a 30 moa base I should still be above the bottom limit and be able to dial all the way to 300.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Is it a 1” main tube or 30 mm? If one inch, that is the issue. I think most of the 30mm scopes should give you plenty. From a 50 yard zero, you should be between 7 and 8 moa to get to 100. After that it gets a little crazy. My 200 yard dope is 25 moa and 250 is 36.
It is a 30mm tube.
Model VHS-4303 Viper HS 2.5-10x44. I used Viper pro series rings low height, VPR-30L.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Can you do a test for me next time you shoot? Put pressure on the back of the mag, like it was resting on something, and run the bolt. This is exactly where the 455 fails and mashes bullets.
Will do! I'm still on deployment and 6,000 miles from home at the moment, so I just have my photobucket and imgbb accounts to pull from in the desert. For Benchrest, NRA 3-P Sporter Class, etc. there isn't pressure on the magazine. In prone you are disqualified for resting the rifle on the mat as it would be an unfair advantage so in fairness this may be a problem I've simply not encountered because I don't put the rifle in that situation. I'll check when I get back, and my sample size is 6 now, and ordering another when I get back...lol.

I will say, look at the vudoo guns if you want to spend some money. I have seen ten shot groups that look like a ragged hole at 50 yards with sk match pistol ammo.
I'll have to test with Lapua Midas+ and TENEX to see if the best of my rifles can do the same in a better rest than what I have. I know with TENEX and Lapua Midas+ a 5 hole group holds the 10 ring, but just like Bullseye, when you go to 10 amazing things happen and not for the better. Regardless, not bad for a $300 rifle IMO. I may have the barrel re-recrowned if not and see if that will get things in shape if required. For the sporter class the CZ-452 is adequate, but if funds are infinite I'd like to pick up an Anschutz.

Also, there is a .22 ELR competition in Las Vegas coming up, I think they will go out to 600 yards. That’s way too far for me. My equipment is pretty much maxed out at 300-315.
If you have a chance try Lapua Midas+ or Eley TENEX. That's all I shoot. Lapua bought SK and the ammunition is much better than it used to be, but not at the performance of Midas+ which has to be tested out of barrel fixtures like TENEX Ultimate EPS. I shoot SK Standard for club matches vice nationals where I use Lapua Midas+ or issued TENEX Ultimate EPS from the Team. Great ammunition. I tested SK Pistol Match in all my equipment (rifle and pistol) and the SK STD+ worked better, but that's my equipment and I don't apply/generalize that to anyone else. Lapua Midas+ shot best in all but one barrel, pistol or rifle, but only slightly better than Eley TENEX. ELEY TENEX Ultimate EPS is exceptional in everything I've tried, sometimes MIDAS+ is slightly better. I have some throats cut for Lapua 40gr only, and they obviously shoot better with that ammo. Fundamentally, I like Lapua because it has a lanoline (I think) vice wax lubricant and is cleaner, but there they're slippery.

I'm using sporter class 3-P/4-P to practice for high power (NRA) and rifle distinguished. As tempting as getting into a 3rd shooting game is, I prefer to remain married ;)

Here's a factory test target from one of six of my CZ-452s.
Factory test ammo not tailored to rifle.
.558" with 5 shots at 50m which is about 55 Yards. The other 5 are comparable.

Stock CZ 452 rifle 5 shot groups at 100 meters = 109 YDS but with preferred ammunition
Webster's ******* Shooting Rest

These are all stock CZ 452 rifle 5 shot groups at 50 yards but with preferred ammuntion

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ideally there shouldn’t be pressure on the mag shooting from props either but sometimes it happens, sometimes it happens when you manipulate the gun to run the bolt. When one miss could take you out of the ribbons reliability is huge. Everything is timed, one shot per target, hit or miss.

That is pretty impressive for a sub-$500 factory rifle. Our club bought a freaking pallet of sk match pistol so there is a lot if it floating around. The vudoos really like it, I get just as good if not better results from my 10/22 with wolf match. I don’t think I have shot the sk pistol after the Lapua acquisition yet.

I have shot three different ely makes but not the Tenex, I will have to search some out. I wasted a fair chunk of change testing a bunch of Lilja stuff too but it was all trash in my gun. The sk pistol and wolf match extra are almost identical in mine and I’ve still got just over 2000 of the same lot of wolf so I am running that.

I will try to get some groups from my rifle and from the vudoo my buddy shoots this weekend. He is working real hard to burn the barrel out of a 6brx though so there may not be much time for .22’s until he does that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bought one chambered in 17. Put a Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 on it. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet due to work schedule. I should be off this saturday and want to get to the range. I got the one with the 9 round mag. The 15 Round mags are like ghosts. I have a back order on the 15rnd mag but really for its purpose 9 rounds is fine. The trigger dry firing it is ok. I mean its light and crisp but has some crunchy **** getting to the wall could be cause its new not sure yet. Overall first impression is its a good looking rifle. I wanted to get a 22lr but then these came out and I like the idea of being able to shoot accurately beyond 100yrds with a small caliber and a 17 is good out to 300 in my opinion. A better shooter can probably stretch a 17 out to 500 where a 22lr will get beat up by cross winds real quick beyond 100 yards

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Is the Wolf Match the Lapua Midas+ too? I know Lapua makes it for them...no idea which line it's comparable with though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Is the Wolf Match the Lapua Midas+ too? I know Lapua makes it for them...no idea which line it's comparable with though.
It looks exactly like the sk match pistol, so maybe. The stuff I have is about a year old. Same headstamp, same bullet, feels like the same lube too.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It looks exactly like the sk match pistol, so maybe. The stuff I have is about a year old. Same headstamp, same bullet, feels like the same lube too.
No. Definitely not. I've spoken with the Lapua Factory rep several times at matches. SK was a German company, still is, acquired by Lapua, who improved their production and quality control. The best SK is post acquisition. Eley primed cases were used by Wolf for a period of time and that was a well known poorly kept secret to get very competitive club level ammo on the cheap. While Eley worked with Wolf and they have some relationship/equipment commonality, the ammunition now made by Wolf is inferior. The lube is not the same as Lapua. SK is the cheap(er)/budget line so you don't have the same lubrication as Lapua Center-X/Midas+/etc.

That is pretty impressive for a sub-$500 factory rifle..
Definitely not bad for $280, unfortunately each year they get more expensive, which isn't a bad thing. They were a steal a while ago and regret not buying more.

I have shot three different Eleymakes but not the Tenex, I will have to search some out. I wasted a fair chunk of change testing a bunch of Lilja stuff too but it was all trash in my gun.
I wouldn't shoot Lija. Eley has some lower quality ammo below TENEX, but it and the even better TENEX-EPS are unbelievably consistent. I've tested it in quite a few firearms and it is almost without exception the best along with Midas+, with both being very close. Speaking with the Olympic Rimfire Team Gunsmith at the AMU, that is the case for them too, and they have much better testing equipment/facilities than I have or have access too.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No. Definitely not. I've spoken with the Lapua Factory rep several times at matches. SK was a German company, still is, acquired by Lapua, who improved their production and quality control. The best SK is post acquisition. Eley primed cases were used by Wolf for a period of time and that was a well known poorly kept secret to get very competitive club level ammo on the cheap. While Eley worked with Wolf and they have some relationship/equipment commonality, the ammunition now made by Wolf is inferior. The lube is not the same as Lapua. SK is the cheap(er)/budget line so you don't have the same lubrication as Lapua Center-X/Midas+/etc.

Definitely not bad for $280, unfortunately each year they get more expensive, which isn't a bad thing. They were a steal a while ago and regret not buying more.

I wouldn't shoot Lija. Eley has some lower quality ammo below TENEX, but it and the even better TENEX-EPS are unbelievably consistent. I've tested it in quite a few firearms and it is almost without exception the best along with Midas+, with both being very close. Speaking with the Olympic Rimfire Team Gunsmith at the AMU, that is the case for them too, and they have much better testing equipment/facilities than I have or have access too.
As promised, a few groups from my 10/22 at 50 yards, all ten shots aside from the top two on the right. Nothing incredible, but I have less than $500 into the rifle. Trigger, mag release, briley barrel and a hogue stock are the only things I have changed and it is all DIY.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
probably good that my local range closed... I would be spending some more money on one of those!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts