Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wiggling my loaded 10 round mag and can hear the bullets jiggle loosely is this normal. My other gun mags dont do this. I bought it new and still have not shot it. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes. i dont know why but ive heard of numerous ppl having this happen, including myself. when i load 10 rds in it one rattles alittle but if i take it out with 9 in there its fine. i dont see a problem with it. its not loud or anything so i dont worry about it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New to XD's did nt know that 40SC were compatiable thanks for the info

·
Registered
432 Posts
Once the mag is in the gun the rattle is gone.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
New to XD's did nt know that 40SC were compatiable thanks for the info
They are, but be sure to test them extensively if you plan on using them for self defense. To use some 40 mags with 9mm you have to bend the lips in a little bit. This should help...

·
Registered
120 Posts
How is the 40 magazine "adjusted"? Just pinching in the lips of the mag a bit?

If I buy a 40 mag, and squeeze the lips in to the same width as a factory 9mm mag, will it function reliably?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Jeff - I tried 3 different 40 mags in my 9s (SC and SVC), and all 3 of them worked perfectly without any modification. The lips may need to be squeezed according the the photo that I posted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not real excited about doing home-made customizations to something as important as the magazine on a weapon that my life may depend on.

But the bigger question is if this is so easy, why in the world doesn't Springfield make this small tweak to the magazine design and sell a 13 capacity XD9sc??? :?

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not real excited about doing home-made customizations to something as important as the magazine on a weapon that my life may depend on.
You aren't paranoid. Like I said earlier, I would test the magazines extensively before I used them for anything besides range work. I would never use an untested modification for CCW or HD. In fact, even though my .40 mags worked perfects in my XD 9s, I never used them for anything besides range/games.

But the bigger question is if this is so easy, why in the world doesn't Springfield make this small tweak to the magazine design and sell a 13 capacity XD9sc??? :?
Likely because if they stick with 10 rounds in the smaller magazine they don't have to produce two different versions/packages, since some states only allow 10 rounds. Production costs are saved by sticking with just 10 rounds, and then giving the full capacity mag and extensions for those that want higher capacity. I know it doesn't make all the sense in the world, but it likely came down to what most business decisions come down to - the bottom line.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just picked up a 40SC mag and was able to put 13 9mm rounds in it. Will be taking it to the range tomorrow afternoon to give it a shooting test.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts