Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am just using the cheap in ear orange foams plugs but would like to get a pair of over ear ones.

I hit the range with my 9mm once a week so I dont need super industrial ones or anything but would like a good value pair.
The range I go to has a few that vary from about $25-90. $90 is not going to happen, let me just just say that.

Question is any, ones to recomend that dont cost a ton?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've been wearing some Winchester muffs I think I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $25. The noise reduction rating is 31dB, which is pretty good. I too shoot at an indoor range and it's pretty loud. The muffs work well but are a little uncomfortable if it's warm on the range and you start sweating (yeah it does get warm on range in Tucson in the summer!)

When I went a few weeks ago I tried the foam ear plugs but I noticed they weren't as effective as the muffs.

My advice is try a few different types, the range I go to rents muffs also so if you range does, try some different ones. Noise reduction ratio is key, the higher the number the better. I think I can tolerate the sweaty ear muffs more than being deaf when I'm older. (My ears have probably suffered enough loud rock concerts etc in my younger years LOL).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You might be better off with the foamies with a cheap par of muffs over them. I have tried all kinds of muffs from low end to high end, and haven't been pleased with anything. Muffs either end up collecting sweat, hurt my ears, or don't seal/work work very well. I love the surefire earpro, but they're $10-11 around here and only last 4-5 range sessions.
My brother swears by the Radians molded earplugs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My suggestion would be to look at the NRR and go with the highest you can find while still being comfortable to wear. The noise at an indoor range is far greater than shooting outdoors where the foam plugs would likely be alright. I spent just over $20 and got a decent set of ear protection with a NRR of 30dB.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought these from budsgunshop

CALD 864-446 PLATINUM G3 ELEC-MUFFS $32.44

cheap pair of electronic muffs.

I'm happy with them. I've never tried any expensive ones so I have nothing to compare them to, but these seem to work great. I can stand and hear someone whispering, but as soon as a gunshot goes off it mutes microphone in it and doesn't hurt my ears at all.

Only thing I'd recommend is in an indoor range don't stick your glasses on your ears so that they go inside of the muffs, that'll break the seal around your ears and let a lot of sound in and makes it very loud at an indoor range. Put the muffs on and then put the glasses on, wearing them so that the bands sit on the top of the muffs.

I wear these for hours at a time in the FL sun during weekly action pistol matches at my local club and never have never been bothered by sweat or anything like that with them

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got my passive ear muffs from amazon for less than $20. It has a low profile deign and a NRR rating of 31.

I usually double up with ear plugs when it's rifle days. Those 308 can be really loud indoors especially if you are next to one shooting it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pair of Howard Leight L3 over the ear hearing protection muffs. I purchased them off of amazon.com for about $17.

I work in a factory, a major bread bakery that also makes those fish crackers you all know of. They are much better than any of the in ear protection I have ever worn.The over ear ones are 30db Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). I have 33NRR in-ear ones available at work and the Howards are much better. .357 and even .44 arent that loud in the indoor range I visit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have to agree with ZeroSeVen, if you are at a range with rifles close by you may want to use in-ear as well as over-the-ear protection.

Do not put your hearing at risk. Range time will eventually add up and damage your hearing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This:

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement

For $50, it's an awesome deal. I skimped before and settled on those $2.99 walmart ear plugs. After taking the plunge and trying these on, it was night and day. It works as advertised. I can hear conversations, none of the loud bangs. I shot over 200 rounds on my AK wearing this and no ringing in my head. The sound suppression is awesome. It's also comfortable and sometimes I forget I even have it on.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I wore Peltor Ultimate 10s for over 8 years before I went to an eletronic set. Pistols, ARs, shotguns, bolt guns, etc. Comfy. No rigging. Several companies rebrand them and sometimes you can find them on sale for $15. I've seen them advertised with an NRR rating of 29-33 depending on whos rebranding. Great set for under $30. Check the reviews.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I bought a pair of Remmington ear protectors that can be worn over the head, or behind the neck if you have a brimmed hat. They were $13.00 and work great.
I wore them when a friend of mine fired a 1/3 pound charge out of his cannon, and they protected my ears just fine.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
MrBret, do you just not like plugs, or is it the foam plugs?

I don't like the 'roll your own' foam plugs, and I can not stand wearing muffs. They get in my way, and sweat and everything else is annoying. Therefore, I wear a very soft plastic baffled ear plug. They have a high dB rating and do not get in my way. I can wear any hat or glasses I want without the annoyance of a pair of muffs.

You can find them at most any store that sells fireamrs or ammo or industrial stuff. They are about $5 - 10. They last a long time, and are very comfortable.

Similar to these: (I think mine have a higher dB rating, though)

These look well designed.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
Since I do so much shooting (IDPA, NRA Instructor, etc.) I use the Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro muffs. I highly recommend the Ultimate 10, as mentioned above, for a low cost, quality set of muffs too.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Harbor tools has good ones - Western Safety 37 db. I use them all the time. 12.95. I found them on sale for $9.95 and got 2 pair.

Hearing Protector

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have noticed that shooting related sounds are louder indoors than outdoors. The NRR rating for ear protection may need to be higher for indoor use to offer enough protection. Of course, the larger the round the louder the noice...

If you have any gunshows available to you locally, there is usually a vendor or two at these shows that will make you custom, in-ear plugs in about 30 minutes. They usually have a high NRR rating. It would be something like this:
I am just not comfortable doing this myself and possibly damaging my hearing myself when trying to make these myself...
If you shoot rifles/shotguns, the over-the-ear muffs may get in your way to comfortably shoot it.

If the surrounding noises are still loud with the in-ear options, you could always still "double-up" and also wear ear muffs to add additional protection.

When I use ear muffs, I use the following model:
These are certainly not a cheap version of ear muffs, but they are awesome!!!

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I double up. Use the good ear plug with high NRR and a set of Walker Game Ears. Works great and I can still hear commands and conversation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrBret, do you just not like plugs, or is it the foam plugs?
They are "ok" just not great. I'll still keep them are extra's/spares

Harbor tools has good ones - Western Safety 37 db. I use them all the time. 12.95. I found them on sale for $9.95 and got 2 pair.

Hearing Protector
There is one pretty close to me, I'm on it. :D
Currently $12.99 (some as low as $2.99 for over ear ones.)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I double up. Home Depot foamies, big box that lasts forever for not much, and their ear muffs which are now 3M brand. one is 32db and the other 25 or 27. I also got some of the reusable soft rubber baffle ones so sometimes I wear those instead of the foam ones. They start to bother me after 1 1/2 or 2 hours, that way I know it is time to go home. It is hard to carry on a conversation, but lifting the muffs takes care of that and I still have protection.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts