Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the terrain and idea of moving to an arid climate, but this is a long-term concern.

Perhaps 25 years ago (before global warming and climate change became in vogue...) I read an article predicting a slow, long-term aridification of the US Southwest. The article hypothesized that what we have seen in the past 300-1000 years in the region might have been a geological 'freak', and we should expect the entire region to go back to drying out.

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
Heck, I remember in mid 90s i gave serious consideration to returning to my home town Vegas. It was always such a great place ro live. But gangs were finally a problem, it was never going to stop it would take up the whole valley... And water.

NAILED IT!

The Colorado and Arkansas river basins are in serious trouble. It only gets worse from here. People can't live where water can't sustain them.... And you can't.... Well shouldn't be growimg crops where you need a 1000 miles of aqua ducts.

Reactions: ATCclears

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I've been really concerned about the future of living in AZ. We have more and more people flooding in from blue states and fleeing the harsher winters back in the Midwest, and this is the worst natural environment to try to sustain huge cities. Once we start mining aquifers it's only a matter of time--the natural recharge for groundwater can't keep up with the demands placed on it, and our river systems are overtaxed. As Powerman mentioned, you would be wise to go where the water is.

Reactions: ATCclears

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Klamath Basin, Oregon.

In the last two weeks, the Klamath County Watermaster’s office has received 82 complaints from people in the Klamath Basin experiencing water shortages in their personal wells.

Dani Watson, watermaster of District 17 in Klamath Falls, knows there are many more empty wells that have yet to be reported.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts