Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the advice from the helpful people on here I went ahead with the purchase of the Oly 9mm Upper and Bushy Lower. (with Christmas gift help from Mrs Moto)

Pictured here with my other Christmas gift, a brand new RRA lower.

Now I need some kind of sighting device, Red Dot? Scope? Iron sights?

As always, your recommendations and advice are both needed and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Congrats on the new toys. I can offer what little I know. I own a few RRA LAR-15's. It matters what trigger system you have, standard single stage RRA or match two stage RRA. I prefer a light match RRA trigger for bench/target shooting, but the standard trigger may be a bit safer for self-defense shooting. The match trigger comes with slightly oversize NM hammer and trigger pins that fit the receiver a little tighter. This is a factor as 9mm conversions are known pound the hammer pin pretty good. Some recommend KNS anti-rotation, anti-walk hammer and trigger pins when shooting 9mm conversions.

As far as sights, there doesn't seem to be a place to mount a front iron sight except on the barrel. Therefore I would go sans irons and mount a C-More railway reflex red dot optic on the flattop. I own two of these and like them alot, but I am sure there are other brands that are also good or better. I would then use a laser bore sight to rough sight-in at home so that the C-More red dot was about an inch above the laser dot at 20 yards. DO NOT take a muzzle mounted laser bore sight to the range. The number of times barrels have been ruined by shooting with a laser still in the bore is higher than you might think. The only bad thing about the C-More is that the elevation and windage screws are not click adjustable. With irons it is easy, just adjust your irons to point of impact and then move the red dot to the tip of the front sight. Without irons, there is a lot more trial and error, and you will burn alot more ammo sighting in. But once that first session is over you should be all set.

Hope this helps. Ask if you need clarification.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new toys. I can offer what little I know. I own a few RRA LAR-15's. It matters what trigger system you have, standard single stage RRA or match two stage RRA. I prefer a light match RRA trigger for bench/target shooting, but the standard trigger may be a bit safer for self-defense shooting. The match trigger comes with slightly oversize NM hammer and trigger pins that fit the receiver a little tighter. This is a factor as 9mm conversions are known pound the hammer pin pretty good. Some recommend KNS anti-rotation, anti-walk hammer and trigger pins when shooting 9mm conversions.

Now the bad news. I am a member at a high volume public indoor range. When I asked about their opinion about 9mm converted AR's they pointed to their rental Oly's and said "Don't buy one of these". Apparently the Oly 9's get brought back to the counter often with jams and problems. But you must understand that range guns get abused and go for very long periods before cleaning and mainenance, so don't take too much stock in what they said.

As far as sights, there doesn't seem to be a place to mount a front iron sight except on the barrel. Therefore I would go sans irons and mount a C-More railway reflex red dot optic on the flattop. I own two of these and like them alot, but I am sure there are other brands that are also good or better. I would then use a laser bore sight to rough sight-in at home so that the C-More red dot was about an inch above the laser dot at 20 yards. DO NOT take a muzzle mounted laser bore sight to the range. The number of times barrels have been ruined by shooting with a laser still in the bore is higher than you might think. The only bad thing about the C-More is that the elevation and windage screws are not click adjustable. With irons it is easy, just adjust your irons to point of impact and then move the red dot to the tip of the front sight. Without irons, there is a lot more trial and error, and you will burn alot more ammo sighting in. But once that first session is over you should be all set.

Hope this helps. Ask if you need clarification.
While not wanting to sound ungrateful for the time you took to write all of that. . .

Why are you giving me advice on shopping for something that I already own???

I simply asked for advice on sights.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I suggest getting a new FFR for a good set of BUIS. Then get either an AP or an Eotech. Both are top of the line optics. Certain AP's have better battery life than Eotechs. Like way better battery life.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
While not wanting to sound ungrateful for the time you took to write all of that. . .

Why are you giving me advice on shopping for something that I already own???

I simply asked for advice on sights.
Well, this part seemed open ended:
"As always, your recommendations and advice are both needed and appreciated."

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest getting a new FFR for a good set of BUIS. Then get either an AP or an Eotech. Both are top of the line optics. Certain AP's have better battery life than Eotechs. Like way better battery life.
Thanks, any advice on an FFR? Links greatly appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I would assune the barrel length is 16"?
For the money a Yankee Hill Machine 12" free float rail would be my choice. This will give you the longest sight radius. You could also go shorter if you like. Sights,..... my choice is always Troy flip-ups.
However, they are a bit pricey, $240 a set, or close to that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this part seemed open ended:
"As always, your recommendations and advice are both needed and appreciated."

I am just suggesting to keep an eye on the hammer pin for potential problems. The Oly rental gun part you can take with a grain of salt and I did not intend to demean your purchase. I am sure with proper cleaning and care, you won't have their rental gun abuse problems.

I'm sure your advice was well intentioned but I did my research prior to purchase. I have talked to owners of Oly 9mm uppers and made an informed decision.

I particularly liked the part you wrote about not taking a bore sight laser to the range. Good advice right there. Got any advice for carrying my CCW one up?

Pinch of salt taken, btw. I've just been reading some of your posts in other threads.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
YHM makes good stuff. I like a couple different models of theirs. Daniel Defense has been getting goo reviews on here, Samson, Troy, Surefire. The last three are pricey. I say go with YHM or DD.

I second the Troy BUIS. Pricey but hey, I'm a believer of you get what you pay for, and I've compared them to the GG&G and the A.R.M.S. and I like the Troy the best.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
No matter how slim the pickin's are now a days at the gunshows, there are always some of these Oly 9mm uppers available on the tables. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No matter how slim the pickin's are now a days at the gunshows, there are always some of these Oly 9mm uppers available on the tables. Good luck with it.
See? You just can't help yourself can you?

Your first post in my thread was pretty much useless and now you're just trolling it.

Do me a favor and go fill someone else's thread with your worthless commentary.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Glad you picked that up, Moto!!! Looks like a good deal.

Given the flat-top upper and lack of a pre-existing front sight or easily accessible gas block on which to mount one, I'd go with a red-dot/EOTech/Aimpoint type setup. Sadly, you won't be able to co-witness with any optic you use because of the lack of iron sights, but given that it is a 9mm, it isn't as if you'll be shooting small targets from long distances away!! You might look at the SPOT sights and see if they are to your liking. They are very nice, rugged, and reliable sights, with mount for around $170. They come in 3MOA and 6MOA dot sizes to best suit your preference. Personally, I like the smaller dot better for my AR-15 rifles, but again, for short range work on the 9mm, the larger dot will be easier to pick up and get you on target a little quicker. Again...personal preference.

S.P.O.T. Red Dot Sporting Sight / Mark III - 3MOA: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

S.P.O.T. - Red Dot Sporting Sight / Mark III - 6MOA: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Given the flat-top upper and lack of a pre-existing front sight or easily accessible gas block on which to mount one, I'd go with a red-dot/EOTech/Aimpoint type setup. Sadly, you won't be able to co-witness with any optic you use because of the lack of iron sights, but given that it is a 9mm, it isn't as if you'll be shooting small targets from long distances away!!
9mm carbines are direct blowback. No gas block/FSP is required. With that said, the 9mm carbines don't suffer from the crap where they eat sydrome that other carbines suffer from, so I see that as a BIG BIG plus. Especially if you ever put a suppressor on it.

The fact that the way the Oly's are made don't have to have a special trigger, or ramped bolt to work like that of Colt/RRA's version, is also another plus that your upper will work with any regular lower, provided you have a magwell block.

There are several of those out there to use unmodified sten mags. SNS Industries makes a good one that only requires a little mod to the hole in the mag where the mag catch seats. Hahn also makes a magblock but I don't know much about them.

I'd personally ditch the freefloater and put a railed floater on it, a Midwest Industries rail mount front flip up, an Arms 40L and an Eotech because as Ord mentioned, you won't be taking any 350 yard shots with it anyway, so that kind of defeats the purpose of a scope in my opinion. Or you could just buy a bull barrel front sight post that uses set screws and install it on there so you'd have a front sight since you don't really need it for a gas block. The afermarket FSP should be cheaper than the MI front flip up and adding a railed forend though if that's a consideration.

9mm carbines are cool in so many ways and if you keep within their limitations, are very good HD guns, plus they're a lot cheaper to shoot than 5.56.

And 9mm suppresses a lot beter than 5.56 too ;-)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you picked that up, Moto!!! Looks like a good deal.
Thanks ORD, indeed it was!
$600 seemed like a bargain, it came with:
Olympic 9mm Upper
Bushmaster lower (not the brand new LAR-15 pictured)
YHM skeleton stock
3 converted Sten mags (might sell these and go the mag block route, but might not bother as 3 mags seems like enough to be going on with)

Thanks for the links too, a red dot sight of some type does seem like a very practical option for this set-up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd personally ditch the freefloater and put a railed floater on it, a Midwest Industries rail mount front flip up, an Arms 40L and an Eotech because as Ord mentioned, you won't be taking any 350 yard shots with it anyway, so that kind of defeats the purpose of a scope in my opinion. Or you could just buy a bull barrel front sight post that uses set screws and install it on there so you'd have a front sight since you don't really need it for a gas block. The afermarket FSP should be cheaper than the MI front flip up and adding a railed forend though if that's a consideration.
The railed floater that a couple of you helpful guys have mentioned does seem like an excellent idea.
I figure I won't be shooting much beyond 100 yards with it so I'm liking all these ideas. holo/dot sight for primary use and iron sights for backup. . . cool.

Thanks for the helpful and informative input.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Congrats MotoLex! Wow, $600 is a good deal!

As far as a railed FF hand guard goes, there are many choices out there. I have a Firsh rifle-legnth on my 9mm, which allows for a nice long sight radius. The only drawback is the Firsh isn't very light.

As for an optic, it was suggested to me at the time of my purchase that any 'ol $50 red dot will do fine on the gun. This suggestion came from an Olympic employee who had a number of 9mm ARs in his collection. He said he only used his 9mms for plinking around, and therefore they didn't require a higher-end optic. Just something to think about.

Enjoy your new-to-you gun! As far as hand guards, optics, and iron sights, remember - it's still and AR, so you can change things however you like, whenever you like (funds permitting).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great deal on the rifle. I have a Oly 9mm upper with a lightweight barrel built up on a Superior Arms lower, it's runs great and has never given me a issue. It's seems anytime Oly is mentioned the "list" type folks crawl out of the woodwork. I won't even go there as i what I think of their mentality would get censored. I do have a railed gas block on mine but have never seen seen the need for BUIS. I currently have a Ultradot Pan A/V sight on mine. It works fine for what I use the rifle for. I have a couple of EoTech's on other AR's (including a OLY OA93) but have just not seen the need for one on this rifle.
I have both the Hahn block & SNS block (what I currently use). I do like the blocks rather than the modified mags. I found a bunch of Sten mags for $4 ea a while back.
You will have a blast with this AR I know I sure do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts