Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day a guy from work told me that he had some older ammo for sale. I asked him what he had and he told me he had a mix of stuff and to stop over after work and have a look. His father was a retired sheriff and had passed away last month so he saved all the ammo out of the safe.

I stopped by today and had a look. I was hoping for maybe 22, 9mm, 40 cal or 223 but the pile of ammo was bare of any of those. What I did find was 12 boxes of older looking winchester/western super match 38 spl wadcutters. Also 3 and a half boxes of federal hi power match 38 spl and 2 boxes of remington 38 spl wadcutters.

so 875 rounds of 38 spl match wadcutters. On top of that there were 6 50 rd boxes of winchester western 45 acp fmj.

I don't own a 38/357 nor do I own a 45 at the moment but just for kicks I asked what he was trying to get out of them. He said he had no idea really. I told him maybe look them up and put them on armslist. He said he didn't want to mess with it and he just want to unload them (he is not into guns orf shooting). He asked if I would want them all for $100. I told him he could very well sell them for more but he said he was ok with the deal if I was. So I coughed up the $100 and went home with a 50 pound box of ammo I have no guns for :p

My question is what would be a resonable asking price for these. I don't plan to get a 38 or a 45 in the near future so I plan to sell or trade them for ammo guns or cash to fund more guns/ammo. The problem I'm running into is they are older boxes of ammo so I don't know if they are old enough to be worth something to a collector (I don't assume they are more than 20 years old) also they are no longer on the market so I'm having a hard time finding a starting price. I was thinking $20 a box for the 38 spl and $25 a box for the 45acp off the top of my head. Is that out of line or a fair price? I really don't know much about these super match wadcutters but for the 45 I feel like $25 about fair maybe $20 if they buy them all? I want to give people a fair price but I wouldn't mind making enough of a profit to improve my own gun safe ;)

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
My local shop has those super match WC's for $30/50.

Those aren't old enough to be collected boxes, so...it's pretty much going to go for current pricing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts