Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't have the chance to "shoot' these two side by side ir even take any pics,... BUT, while I was putting the 586 in the safe, I did dry fire them side by side...................................................................................

I'm a Python fan. BUT................................. the 586 is every bit as good/close to my 4" Python as any other Python.

Obligatory 586 pics...;-)
(Pics from GB)...

4" Python...

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
And about 30% (or less) than the cost of a Python.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Wow....Good price on the Python.....Just looked at a Python "Elite" yesterday....They were asking 4K......:shock:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Wow, another nice gun Joe!

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I agree Joe--I think the Python's single action trigger is a lot cleaner and nicer...but the S&W's double action trigger is better...I've always found that Colt's stack...

If you ever have the chance to try a pre-WW2 K or N frame--you will be very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow....Good price on the Python.....Just looked at a Python "Elite" yesterday....They were asking 4K......:shock:
Damn! That's crazy high IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Having owned both many years ago, IMO the nod goes to the Smith.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If you shoot it a lot. A lot. The S&W should outlast the Colt. I've seen Colts wear and have to have the hand that turns the cylinder replaced. They lock up different than a S&W and it seems to wear the hand and cylinder stop more.

I can't imagine a Python trigger being any better than a S&W. Mine (K, L and N frame guns) just require a slight "breath" to let the hammer go single action. I've taken the kids to the range and they cock one, and it then it goes bang and they stop, drop the gun down a little, look at it, look back at me, grin real big and do it again and again. When they're done they are still grinning and tell me they just can't believe the triggers on those guns vs. their XDMs, XDs, Berettas, Glocks, etc.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The Python cache and the fact they're hand made and no longer made drives the price. Side by side with a good SW and I agree with you and Cuda that they're really not better.

But I do think the N frame is the best overall Smith.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts