Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an old bolt action gun today, having trouble finding a make or caliber. There are a few distinct marking that can be made out on the gun, but others are warn with pitting. Anyone have any idea what kind it could be with a flower like marking with chinese symbols below it on the top of the receiver... I am sure pics would help, but I unfortunatly cant get them today... any help would be appriciated

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
One surefire way to see if it's an Arisaka is to look if it has a big ground off void, or a semmetrically engraved chrysanthemum on it. If I remember correctly the Chinese were issuing used and modified Mausers at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
IIRC my dad has a Arisaka rifle his father brought back from WWII. he was an MP. I'll have to take a look at that sucker.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it had a very large, round protruding rear safety, then it is most likely an Arisaka. I do know that the Chinese manufactured Mosins, but those would be pretty distinct as well.

Was the writing on the left side of the receiver? Did the receiver have a slot on the same side right above the writing?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after reviewing for a while last night.. we figured it out to be an arisaka! the very clear engraving of what looks like a flower of some kind is on it, and the symbols resemble eachother. The only thing i could see is, the stock was a little different, not as long and did not wrap the barrell

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Arisaka's with the chrysanthemum still on them are collectors items.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like an arisaka with a missing dust cover. If the mum is completely intact, then it's a decent find. Dustcovers can be had pretty reasonable on gunbroker.
TOJAZ

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The missing dust cover is comon as they were known to rattle, something that in combat that could get you killed. Does the stock look like those pictured or did it get bubba'd by someone looking to make a deer rifle out of it. The Arisaka is known as one of the strongest Mauser style actions ever made unless it is a late war specimine. Unfortunately for shooters ammo has never been common except for Norma $$$$$$, and when occasionally found on the surplus market 50% dud and hangfires are common. With proper ammo they are one of the most accurate service rifles ever produced "A friends will produce sub 1" groups from the bench. Brass can be made from 30/06 but it is a labor intensive project and .303 bullets will work in the 7.7mm version.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
The missing dust cover is comon as they were known to rattle, something that in combat that could get you killed. Does the stock look like those pictured or did it get bubba'd by someone looking to make a deer rifle out of it. The Arisaka is known as one of the strongest Mauser style actions ever made unless it is a late war specimine. Unfortunately for shooters ammo has never been common except for Norma $$$$$$, and when occasionally found on the surplus market 50% dud and hangfires are common. With proper ammo they are one of the most accurate service rifles ever produced "A friends will produce sub 1" groups from the bench. Brass can be made from 30/06 but it is a labor intensive project and .303 bullets will work in the 7.7mm version.
IF you're so inclined, you can do a .308 conversion with a reasonable amount of effort. Factoring of course that the mum's not intact.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it looks like someone had tried to turn it into a hunting rifle, the stock is very similar, but where the bad is at on these ones pictured, that is where the stock ends, but still has a hole going through it where it lookes like maybe a cleaning rod went??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts