Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello xdtalk, I am a rather new user, and this is my post. I have owned a springfield xd subcompact for 2 years and love it. However this post is about an old Ruger standard pistol that I inherited when my uncle died earlier this year. No one knew he owned a pistol, and it was found in a shoe box in a closet. Serial # dates the gun to 1966
The pistol was found partially disassembled. The grips, sear, sear pin, hammer, hammer pivot pin, hammer strut pin, and hammer bushing are all removed. I cannot get the bolt release pin to come through the top of the gun. I have printed the manual from the Ruger website and followed the directions for removing the bolt. However it seems something is holding the bolt stop pin from being removed. It does not go past being flush with the top of the barrel area. Any suggestions? I have been messing with it for 2 days now, and even sprayed the bolt release pin, and main spring housing with WD-40. I also have tried to hammer the bolt out the top with a rubber mallet, both have produced no success.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk.

I'm not familiar with the Ruger Standard (first version of what would become the Mk II and Mk III, plus variants) so I really can't offer any help there. I hope one of our Ruger .22 pistol fans can chime in!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jmichna, glad to be here. And this is definitely the hardest pistol I have ever worked on. It is all metal, only thing plastic are the grips, which were removed. Not much room to maneuver in the magazine well either, was hoping to shine a light down into the main portion of the pistol and see what it is catching on, if anything. However, there is no possible way to see back into the gun.

·
Registered
786 Posts
my brother bought one of those in the late 60s i remember there was a trick to getting the bolt out but that was a long time ago sorry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lopper, I have googled and tried everything I have found, and have had no success. Id hate to put it in the shop, and spend at least 75 or 80$ (small coastal town) for a pistol that is worth 200$ if in great shape, which this is not currently in. My next thought was the center punch type tools (spring loaded, hit them and they double the force, for countersinking nails and such) however at Lowes all I could find was regular nail punches (same principle as a dowel rod)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure you have the Main Spring Latch Housing fully open, then tap the pin from the top with a brass punch. It can be very tight, so use a little muscle. but don't just bash it. Once it's out, clean the pin; it's probably pretty gummed up.
Take your time, and spend some hours watching Youtube videos. There's nothing like seeing things done live.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
If you're really having troubles with it, call up Ruger customer service. They get pretty amped on sentimental older firearms.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Those are nice guns and the predecessors of the MkIII and 22-45s that we shoot today.

I second the idea of calling Ruger's customer service line. Their CS is really top notch and I bet they can help you.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have a Ruger standard, they can and are a pita to take apart and re assemble. The pin your are referring to is also a pita, the barrel must sit EXACTLY right on the frame for the pin to be put back in. The barrel comes off by pushing fwd on the barrel reciever and or backwards on the frame/grip. My policy with the gun is, If I dont have an absolute need to take it apart I dont! Unless I want to spend the better part of the day cussing at it!
Edit.. Even my mk3 hunter is a bit of a pita to take apart!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Search the youtube files. I remember seeing one on the disassembly and reassembling the Ruger Mark pistols. They stress following the steps precisely in order to complete the job. Sorry, I do not have a direct link to that clip for you.

Added: Check the Ruger website for the MarkIII, then under one of those headings you will find the film clips I mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts