Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law just found his blued colt revolver to lend me. It hasn't been out of storage for over 8 years. He used to carry it often when making money drops to the bank, never cleaned, never oiled. I pulled it out of the holster and it's finish was 10 times better looking than my one week old XD40.
After being to the range twice and firing 250 rnds the XD40's finish is already scratched and worn (no rust). Even when not using it I rub it down every day with Rem Oil wipes. My brother-in-law has guns with thousands of rnds through them, his doesn't show nearly as much wear on the top of the barrel (at the ejector port where the slide slides back over the top).
It's a shame that they put so much thought into making this gun so wonderful and then skimp on the finish.
Maybe if they used a better factory finish we couldn't buy it at such a good price.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The finish on the Colt is a real blued steel finish, and it will last longer then the finish on the XDs, and yes if they blued the XD parts they would cost more.
The were on the top of the barrel is the same thing as the finish on the two guns. The barrels on a lot of guns are stainless, and the XD has a finish on it, and I'm sure it's just a cost thing. If they put the same finish on the XDs that they put on the Colts, or S&Ws the XD would cost the same as a Colt.
The XD was never meant to be put in a display case as a show piece, it's a working gun, and not meant to be pretty. If you want your gun to look pretty again you can get it refinished in the color of your choice for about $100 by a couple of the forum sponsers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with 40SWXDSHOOTER on the finish i have colts that are 30 years old and still shine.....then i have a XD9 and a Sig P226 both are working guns. my sig is 18 years old and just had the Nitron finish put on it in Oct. SA and Sig both make really great guns and i love shooting both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts