Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled across an old 12gauge shotgun (1920-1940s) and the buttplate was loose so I removed it to try and fix it.

These 3 bullets were tucked inside with an old piece of paper.

Any idea what size these are or how old they are? I'm just curious about the history.

·
Registered
29,603 Posts
They look like an older, large caliber rimfire round.

Late 19th century, should I have to guess.

As to caliber...a tape measure won't cut it; find a calipers and put 'em on the bullet. If you have any modern ammo, put it next to them and we might be able to get a better idea as to size/scale (note which caliber you're putting next to them, please...).

Since that doesn't look long enough, or wide enough to be a .44...my WAG would be .41 short.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You may have a gun worth a lot of money. Be sure to keep everything you found in it's original condition until you determine the value.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have a gun worth a lot of money. Be sure to keep everything you found in it's original condition until you determine the value.
Unfortunately, I don't have the gun that would have fired these bullets. They were tucked away in the stock of a shotgun.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the hint Cuda. I measured and they appear to be the .41 short.

They have a "U" stamped on the bottom. I found this website that sells some, but they don't show a "U".
41-SHORT-R-F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts