Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit to some ignorance what are the main differences between a Romanian AK vs say a Bulgarian?

I have been looking on Gunbroker and see the Romanian ones going around $550(thanks Barry) and the Bulgarian is around 700.

Any input to help lead me down the proper path would be appreciated as I figure I have till Jan 20 to make a decision.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Bulgarian is at the high end of the scale and Romanian at the bottom.

I can only speak for Romanians. If you want something inexpensive and entry level that will get the job done then a Romanian is fine. You do need to be an educated buyer when it comes to Romanians so you can avoid issues from the start. Here's a pretty good place to start: Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

Three things in particular to look out for when buying a Romanian, a canted front sight, gas tube, or rear sight block

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Bulgarian is at the high end of the scale and Romanian at the bottom.
No, sir.

"Some" Bulgarian Kalashnikovs have a very well financed marketing department behind them. There are some Bulgarians being imported now that are made from old Type 3 AK-47 parts and the company doing it is riding on the "Good Feelings" toward all things Arsenal. Their quality is quite a lot lower on the rung than Arsenal (if that's saying anything).

I can only speak for Romanians. If you want something inexpensive and entry level that will get the job done then a Romanian is fine. You do need to be an educated buyer when it comes to Romanians so you can avoid issues from the start. Here's a pretty good place to start: Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles
This is a good read for any Kalashnikov manufactured in totality overseas, not just the Romanians. Arsenal, Inc has sold a few 'boners' recently with these same "issues".

Any state owned Kalashnikov factory can produce a rifle, 4 mags, cleaning kit, mag pouch and bayonet for less than $100 USD. The fact that people will pay 13x this price is the marketing departments raison d'etra.

Any AK built in a state factory will be as reliable as any other AK. If you're buying them because 'they look pretty', you're looking at the wrong gun.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I'll admit to being guilty of buying a gun on looks alone before.

AK's never have been easy on my eyes where looks are concerned though. Go ahead and admit it. They're ugly, but looks isn't everything :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts