Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who haven't already signed up for the Accurate Powder Team or the Ramshot Powder Team, I invite you to do so. Western Powder Co. owns both brands along with Norma powders now as well as Montana X-Treme gun care and cleaning products. They also sell Blackhorn powder for you muzzleloader guys. Here's the link to the site or you can link to it from the Accurate or Ramshot sites: Western Powders

Recently, Western started an online magazine in which you can ask technical questions to their ballistic team, ask the editor whatever you like related to shooting or handloading and then there are stories from shooters just like you that are posted.

On Monday, I received an email from Rob Behr at Western Powder Co. asking me if I'd contribute some material to the site, either fictional or technical. I'll probably be doing some powder and reloading articles, but to start, we agreed on beginning with a fictionalized serial. How long it will last will depend on the readers and the quality of my story, of course, and it will be presented in episodes, frequency of which has not been determined. Maybe an episode/month or a little longer, which, give or take is about when you'll see the first episode. I will later publish the series as a novellete or novella in case some readers miss part of it. I'm very excited because this will establish my credentials as a gunwriter as well as product tester for Western Powders and others.

For those who have wondered why I don't continue to provide a link to my novel in my sigline, it's because it's on hiatus and has been turned over to a professional editor with an extensive background into things that go BOOM! He's also a former newspaper editor and I couldn't think of anyone better to trust my novel to from the main characters sniper rifle to details of the late Dr. Bull's Super-Gun project. So come join us!

BTW, thanks to the members that have bought my novel! Hopefully it will become a more valuable first edition. Also thanks to a member whom I asked to read the manuscript just as it was released for his independent evaluation. I won't embarass him by revealing his identity. If he wishes to comment, I'll leave that up to him. ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
As always, I wish you continued success with your writing. Hopefully you will also be able to write as a technical contributor to Western since your load development posts are always spot on. I'm happy to hear you found a competent editor for your fiction that you can have faith in. A good editor always tightens up a good story, though your last one kept moving very well.

Now if you only could get me about 8lbs of True Blue and a similar weight of Silhouette from those Ramshot guys I could do some stuff this winter.

One day I can say... "I knew you when..."!

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always, I wish you continued success with your writing. Hopefully you will also be able to write as a technical contributor to Western since your load development posts are always spot on. I'm happy to hear you found a competent editor for your fiction that you can have faith in. A good editor always tightens up a good story, though your last one kept moving very well.

Now if you only could get me about 8lbs of True Blue and a similar weight of Silhouette from those Ramshot guys I could do some stuff this winter.

One day I can say... "I knew you when..."!

Thanks, Buddy! Unfortunately, there was no offer of True Blue or Silhouette, but I will see what I can do! I've already suggested that they pick up another powder line, the NobelSport/Vectan powders you've seen me mention from time to time, particularly SP-2 & SP-8. SP-2 was very well regarded by the 9mm MAJOR guys at Benos forum and I used quite a bit of it. Never got around to SP-8 but it's similar to True Blue and V-V N340 in burn rate. A very good all-around powder that in the end Graf's was selling for like $60 for 8#. Definitely should have jumped on that one. One of the problems that Rob and I talked about is distribution which really should be better since Western also owns Accurate. To further help do my part in advertising, I do have a couple of Ramshot caps on the way. Brand loyalty aside, my opinion on True Blue wouldn't be any different. No finer single handgun powder exists today. ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks, Buddy! Unfortunately, there was no offer of True Blue or Silhouette, but I will see what I can do! I've already suggested that they pick up another powder line, the NobelSport/Vectan powders you've seen me mention from time to time, particularly SP-2 & SP-8. SP-2 was very well regarded by the 9mm MAJOR guys at Benos forum and I used quite a bit of it. Never got around to SP-8 but it's similar to True Blue and V-V N340 in burn rate. A very good all-around powder that in the end Graf's was selling for like $60 for 8#. Definitely should have jumped on that one. One of the problems that Rob and I talked about is distribution which really should be better since Western also owns Accurate. To further help do my part in advertising, I do have a couple of Ramshot caps on the way. Brand loyalty aside, my opinion on True Blue wouldn't be any different. No finer single handgun powder exists today. ;)
Trust me... I would love to test some True Blue! I have been trying for over 3yrs now to get some. I have some on backorder for months along with my beloved Silhouette, but nothing so far. Maybe this winter it will come in... that'd be good!

Vectan powders have a good reputation and since the distributor that had that line quit importing them perhaps something can be done by Western. Since they can't seem to supply their regular powders, it would be a welcome addition.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
what's the name of your book? I will probably purchase it at some point. congrats on the progress. hope it all keeps working out. signed up as well. also got a free trial of hand loader mag. cool!!!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I'd be interested in reading your book as well.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, guys, the title was Kilroy: Kilroy Was Here, and I shut it down today until after it's edited. I'll update once it is and encourage y'all to wait for the new edition. I definitely have the right guy to edit. He sent me an email yesterday that I was very pleased to read. He will be a tremendous help. I do appreciate you guys wanting to read it and I hope to have episode I of the serial in Western's hands within a month. I'll let you know about that as well! ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, guys, the title was Kilroy: Kilroy Was Here, and I shut it down today until after it's edited. I'll update once it is and encourage y'all to wait for the new edition. I definitely have the right guy to edit. He sent me an email yesterday that I was very pleased to read. He will be a tremendous help. I do appreciate you guys wanting to read it and I hope to have episode I of the serial in Western's hands within a month. I'll let you know about that as well! ;)
Is that going to be the "Western" you once mentioned? It's an interesting period and not written about much these days.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks for the info on the online magazine, and glad to hear you'll be contributing to it. Looking forward to reading it.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that going to be the "Western" you once mentioned? It's an interesting period and not written about much these days.

No, JSG, that one is still in the works. What I'm trying to do now is build a market in advance of the Western, create some anticipation before its release, the hope copies can't be printed fast enough! LOL. ;)

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info on the online magazine, and glad to hear you'll be contributing to it. Looking forward to reading it.
Your welcome! And, thank you. The online magazine was a great idea, IMO, and rather unique for a powder company to do. Now if they could just get some powder. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Trust me... I would love to test some True Blue! I have been trying for over 3yrs now to get some. I have some on backorder for months along with my beloved Silhouette, but nothing so far. Maybe this winter it will come in... that'd be good!

Vectan powders have a good reputation and since the distributor that had that line quit importing them perhaps something can be done by Western. Since they can't seem to supply their regular powders, it would be a welcome addition.
I only have about 3/4 of a pound left of True Blue, and I can tell you, without hesitation, that it's the best powder I've used for .45ACP. Granted, I'm still a n00b when it comes to rolling, but of all the powders I've tried, it's the cleanest and most accurate powder I've used with FMJ or cast bullets. And it meters very well. Fantastic stuff.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hiya Squid... I have no doubt that True Blue would become one of my "go to" powders should I ever be able to obtain any. It certainly has the specs for a lot of loadings I am interested in... that is, range and target loads at a bit less than full power in the auto pistols I shoot most. In those loadings I am sure it could rival my now preferred Silhouette. It will never replace Silhouette for a lot of things I use powder for, but for mid range stuff it seems more suited and 57K and others like you have always reported good numbers with it. It is also one of the coolest burning powders for the pressure range, making it ideal for lead. Now if my backorders could only come in...

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd make an update. Finished the first episode of the serial and turned it over to Western yesterday. It will probably bounce back and forth a couple of times for editing, but I expect we will see it on the Western website soon. The title is: D-Day for a Texas Marine. I hope y'all enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. Later, I expect to publish it in its entirety as a novella depending on the finished length. The original goal was one episode/month and if each episode turns out as well as I believe the first one did, it could run for a while.

Been wearing my Ramshot Reloading Powders cap for a little over a week now and I can tell you that I think they're very nice for the price at $14.99. Mine is black with the Ramshot logo on the front. I have a second identical one waiting for my SP to drop by and pick his up They also have caps, jackets, etc., with the Accurate logo if you prefer at the same price. ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
57K's novella part 1, "D Day for a Texas Marine" is indeed up. I read it in the Ramshot section. Hopefully others of you who are interested will take a look at it. I won't say anything specific so as not to be a "spoiler", but it has his edge to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts