Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change out the backstrap and have acquired the proper roll pin punch. I do not, however, wish to damage the pistol. With the pistol lying on the table with the take down lever side up, which side do I push the roll pin from? I know its probably a silly question but the manual doesn't say and I would rather not take a chance. Thanks gang.;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
After fighting with mine for about an hour and a half (I actually don't recall which side I got it to pop out of) and looking at the way it's all assembled, it doesn't look like it would matter at all which side ya went with. Both sides appear to be 100% identical, so if it were my gun, I'd say flip a coin =)

Hopefully yours will be a lot easier to get out than mine was.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it actually matters which side you tap the pin out of. the only picture instructions I found, showed the gun barrel facing to your left hand side if you have the grip facing towards you on a table.

Either way I'm sure someone will pipe in who has actually done it!

good luck, curious to hear the answer as well, I wanna try switching out the different straps here too. Medium one seems to work very well though at this point.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its hard to tell just by looking. My pin is flush on the right side of the grip and I cannot tell which way it was inserted.:confused:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That pin really is stuck in there good, I tried for about 10 minutes and gave up until I can get the gun to my father's house over christmas and put it in a vice to hold it steady!

·
Registered
291 Posts
It should not matter. Once the pin is out, you will see it is the same on either end.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The pin is just a plain old roll pin that will come out from either end. Lay your gun on some rags over a hard surface that will allow the pin to freely come out below. You can use the top of a large vice with the jaws separated to achieve the open area for the pin to come out.. Use a round flat-head punch or roll pin punch that is smaller than the roll pin but larger than the hole in the center of the punch. Tap away on the punch with a hammer with steady firm hits. Spraying the area where the pin is with Rem Oil should also help.

This worked for me and the only way anyone would know the roll pin was removed is that one end of the roll pin is a little bit brighter that the other end. Heck, that pin is in a very small dark hole so who cares.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those pins are too big. Either way out will work and a concrete floor with a dense 1 inch foam pad got mine out. I found a drill bit just a tad larger than the hole and worked it through by hand then took the edge off both sides of the roll pin. It now goes in and out with less strain on the back strap loop. Since there is not any real room to enlarge that hole(its close to the top of the loop) the best way would be to go with a smaller solid pin. Getting it out without breaking the loops is the problem.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll just have to be careful.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it! It wasn't too bad I just wanted to keep from damaging my pistol. Thanks for the input.:mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts