Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question, is it safe to shoot my xdm .45 at an old desktop hard drive? i would imagine it would go right through but slightly concerned with ricochet.

distance would probably be 15 yards

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would back up as far as you can and still be able to hit it... otherwise I dont see a problem with it.

Maybe as a precaution make sure to wear some shooting glasses, if you dont already.

Otherwise, have fun and take pics!

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
If you can, set the old desktop up on something so you're not aiming at the ground. Especially if the ground is rocky. You want to be sure you have a suitable backstop.

Additionally, just be sure to pickup everything that comes off of it. Don't be one of those @$$holes that leaves a half-shot up computer for someone else to cleanup.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh, i think you guys might be getting confused. i meant the hard drive not an actual desktop case/tower or whatever.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
It will cut right through it. Not even a chance of ricochet. Disclaimer please pick it up when you're done. Up here assholes go and shoot old computer crap and dump it in the desert

·
Registered
396 Posts
It will cut right through it. Not even a chance of ricochet.
You sure?

I'd like to hear back from the OP on this. The plates inside of a HD are pretty tough. and depending on what kind of drive it is/age they can be pretty hefty.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A hard drive is pretty much all aluminum, the top cover, the platters, and the frame is cast. As long as you go from the top (not the circuit board) you're shooting through sheet metal until it gets to the frame, which is little thicker. The circuit board will offer little resistance, though may cause some deflection, depending what components you hit. The biggest problem is the spindle, which is a rod, I think hardened steel, running through the center of the platters. This could cause a problem if you hit it. If destruction is what you're after, put a flower pot of thermite on top of the thing and play fireworks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You sure?

I'd like to hear back from the OP on this. The plates inside of a HD are pretty tough. and depending on what kind of drive it is/age they can be pretty hefty.
They are tough for computer stuff, but compared to a bullet? Not even close. Its gonna go clean through. Done it myself more than a few times. a .45 will go through one side of a complete tower and out the back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a PC case is and what a disk drive is.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
It will indeed go right through it. I've used plenty of hard drives for target practice. They might come out at different angles, but definitely do not ricochet.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I thought most HDD's were a plastic body with the metal cover these days? But an aluminum body makes sense from a heat dissapation point of view.

·
Registered
725 Posts
But look at that thing in the middle with six torx screws on it. That's a big solid chunk of metal. Ok, maybe they're making it out of aluminum now, but it still looks like it could cause some trouble. Aim carefully away from the center.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've killed a couple of HDD's without any issues. You will get some rounds go right through it and some that won't. Just depends where you tag it at.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Ive also shot a few.. an fmj will smoke right through em ive had a few hps make a bit of a mess ..not sure if they went through or they just exploded and make the hdd split.. either way the hdd will be rendered useless! I guess it all depends on how many metal disks are really in the thing... ive heard that some are made out of platinum! but anyway ive even shot em with the 9mm with no probs so a .45 hands down no prob!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're just aluminum. That much platinum would set you back a few shekels.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts