Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but couldn't find an answer. Is it OK to leave your gun in a hot car? It gets pretty warm in my black car during the summer, I don't want any spontaneous combustions!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd be less worried about heat and more worried about theft, and then liability.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well from what little I've come to know, if a bullet is subjected to the intense heat needed to ignite the powder, it will only fire if it's chambered. A bullet fired if not chambered lacks the pressure to project it out of the casing, or at least at dangerous velocities. And I'm pretty sure this amount heat is pretty high up there, hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in.

And I second the motion for a gun safe!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I searched but couldn't find an answer. Is it OK to leave your gun in a hot car? It gets pretty warm in my black car during the summer, I don't want any spontaneous combustions!
Mythbusters tried to see if they could cook off rounds in an oven. They had to get it up to around 500 farenheit before the bullets fired, so leaving it in the car will not be a problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a special ed. Xd. I was told not to leave it in a car or extreme heat.

Doesn't seem like a very practical gun..... What are you going to do after I eat your muzzle off????? Not so tough now are you!?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
You'd be shocked to know what temp extremes military ammo is subjected to (sometimes for decades) before being fired. In short, your car will never get hot enough to bother the ammo unless it catches on fire.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Powder, primers and fireworks are ANOTHER matter entirely. I have seen many vehicle fires started by those three and sometimes the ambient air temp was not that uncomfortable.

I have never seen ammo cook off on its own in a hot car.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Powder, primers and fireworks are ANOTHER matter entirely. I have seen many vehicle fires started by those three and sometimes the ambient air temp was not that uncomfortable.

I have never seen ammo cook off on its own in a hot car.
How are powder and primers alone more susceptible to heat than loaded ammo?

Take a second and stop and think before you post.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Yes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts