Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have been doing research now for the past 4-5 months on a XDM purchase. I am set on a .40 cal. full frame (hands to big for the compact). My problem lies in which barrel lenth to get. I will be "CARRING" it and to also be a "RANGE" gun. Hoping that I will never have to use it for personal protection but just to be safe. I am trying to decide between the 3.8 and the 4.5 barel. There is no store in my srea that has the 3.8 to rent. I am hoping for some feedback in how the two differ from eachother on both performance and acuracy. ANY help in this sit. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all those who help in advance!!!
:D

·
Registered
748 Posts
Since this gun may eventually be carried, I'd get the XDM-40 3.8 compact. Actually, that's what I would have bought, if the compact had been available. When used as a range gun, accuracy probably won't be as accurate as the 4.5, but I'd rather compromise on the range gun aspects than the defensive points.

The grip on the standard XDM is 'plenty' long. The 16 rd. magazines in the compact are the same size as my full grip. There are pinky extensions available for the 13 round magazines that may help with your large grip.

As a carry gun, you'll be shooting in a defensive mode. Your hand size won't much matter, panic will take care of that.

·
Registered
754 Posts
In my opinion I like the 4.5. It will do it all. If I ever decide to carry, which I probably will not, then I would love the SA EMP 40. It cost a whole lot more, but something implanted on my hip for long durations, which is lethal, is well worth the money. If you want cheaper, then check out the XDsc, Sig P238, or mini rocket launcher. Many companies will sell you an EMP on layaway. I am very tempted, then I dream about the release of the XDm 45 compact. I want it, so I am saving my pennies.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have both the full sized 4.5 and the compact 3.8". I love both I carry the compact for convenience. I use a Pearce grip extension and it makes it way better. The balance is slightly different between the two. The accuracy is no different when you get used to the shorter sight picture alignment( I had a brain fart and can't remember the technical term for it). I love both I carried the 4.5 untill I could afford the 3.8 and it is much easier to conceal and much more comfortable yet a joy to shoot at the range. I vote 3.8 if you can only have one. Either one is a great gun and you cannot choose wrong.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I eventually decided that I wanted both. First, the fun gun or the 4.5. I wanted the 45 acp anyway. Makes perfect sense. If you like 45 acp, then buy the 4.5 45 acp and then wait for the 3.8 45 acp compact to come out. You will be on the Cobra plan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Either one is a great gun and you cannot choose wrong.
+1
The compact will fit your hand just fine with a Pearce grip extension, and be much easier to conceal (typically grip length affects concealability more than barrel length). As far as accuracy goes, they're both dead-nuts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
With barrel length not affecting concealabilty much I would suggest the longer sight radius.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank u all for a warm welcome and all the outstanding info. So these pierce grips r they aftermarket grips or are they the extended mags for the compact???

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Aftermarket add on but they do not extend capacity. I will post a pic when I get back to our station.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aftermarket add on but they do not extend capacity. I will post a pic when I get back to our station.
Thank you..... Looked it up and looks like if I go with the compact 3.8 that grip will do just fine! One more question the high cap. mags for the compact do they come with the diff back straps to meet with the interchangable one on the grip???

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No it does not. I have changed out the grips and found the one it came with to fit best but I put a hogue grip on mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it does not. I have changed out the grips and found the one it came with to fit best but I put a hogue grip on mine.
Yeah had heard in research that houge was the best out there(seems to stay in place better) . Wanna say a huge ty for all that helped me in this thread. Any other advise will be much welcomed. Looking foward to having an awesome time hear.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
This is what mine looks like. You have to trim the hogue grip though. I should have used a sharper knife but it still works great.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I would show you the 4.5 but the wife has a PINK hogue grip and I am utterly embarrassed that my gun has it on there but she likes it and she is a great shot with it so I guess it's hers now and not mine

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Thank u all for a warm welcome and all the outstanding info. So these pierce grips r they aftermarket grips or are they the extended mags for the compact???
its an after market floor plate for your mag that adds room for your pinkey finger .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts