Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything to look out for? I alread have 2 XDs, both in 9mm, one is a Tactical and the other is a Sub-Compact. Both have been flawles and I hope my Service .45acp turns out to be the same. I probably won't have it in my hands for a few weeks because of Christmas presents so it now sits on lay-a-way. One concern is the free magazines. I probably won't pick up the gun until after the promotion is over. I do however have the sales reciept showing all of the information. Can I send a copy of that in for the free mags?

I aso saw a Tactical compact .45acp over at the same shop. I thought the compact only came in the service size barrel. It seemed strange to me to have a short grip for CCW with a 5" barrel/slide.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Anything to look out for?
Yep. Dont put your guide rod in sideways when you reassemble it. It must be lined up nice and centered on the barrel lug or the slide may lock up. Dont put the slide on with the guide rod or barrel not installed or it will lock up.

The length of barrel isnt the hard part of concealing a pistol. Its the size of the grip.

And dont be sad when you figure out you shoulda bought this gun first! :wink:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I bought two 45Compacts and loved the grip so much I got the Compact Tactical. It just comes down to how it feels in your hands.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely looking forward to picking my newest fun toy up. This will be my first non-1911 .45.

Do you guys think by sending in my Lay-a-way sales receipt with all the info on it would get me my 2 free mags? I'd really rather kick myself for not at least trying.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Don't be too surprised if you shoot your new combat tupperware better than your 1911 after a single range visit. It happens.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Also, don't be suprised if you shoot low-and-to-the-left (if you are right handed) until you get used to the trigger on the XD. It is very common for new shooters...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, don't be suprised if you shoot low-and-to-the-left (if you are right handed) until you get used to the trigger on the XD. It is very common for new shooters...

Cheers! M2
What's the cure...I am having some issues with exactly this....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't be too surprised if you shoot your new combat tupperware better than your 1911 after a single range visit. It happens.

This is what really impressed me and messed me up all at the same time. First time with the XD .45 in my hand and I was more consistent and accurate than with my bro's 1911, or my own now Sold G21. The XD just blows me away. It's not magic, it's just the way it fits perfectly in my hand.

So nothing to know I don't think, I'm an XD noob but the weapon is bag of hammers simple, and so far wood club reliable.

I pull the trigger, it goes bang.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yep, XD ergonomics are right on for most people.
They are for me.

The solution for low-left is dry firing the gun against a spot on the wall at home. A lot.
Each time you press the trigger and it clicks, watch the front sight and how it dips low left. Keep dry firing until it doesn't do that. EVERYONE has this problem at first, I sure did.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have found that if I push with my right hand and pull with my left with a rather tight grip that I shoot close to where I aim. I am more of a rifle shooter, not so good with a pistol. I do not have the time to really go practice like I want. I got my XD 45 around this time last year and last month was my first time shooting it. I can say for sure if I use a loose grip I will shoot wayyyy low and wayyyy to the left. Take all the time you need and do not give up.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Cheers! M2
Well this is not my first XD. Like I said before I have a Tactical and SC in 9mm so the trigger is not an issue unless the .45acp version is different somehow. I felt the difference though in the grip the second I held it in my hands. This is from shooting the XD9s for so many years but it was still just as comfortable.

I ordered 2 more mags and will send off for the 2 free mags as well. Nobody still has an opinion on sending in a lay-a-way receipt for the mags instead of the final receipt?:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Nobody still has an opinion on sending in a lay-a-way receipt for the mags instead of the final receipt?:confused::confused:

Well, Springfield has a phone number. Why not just call them and ask them?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Springfield has a phone number. Why not just call them and ask them?
Well I was really looking for an opinion. I sent it in anyhow since there is no way I'll pick it up before the promotion is over. I live in the same state as SA so hopefully I'll know soon enough. I got a couple of mags from Midway so at least I'll have 4 for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts