Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to start a new thread on the RUSTY TALES forum, but damn, if you have a forum specifically designated for it, I feel I'm within the boundaries.

I'm waiting to pick up my XDm 45 Black, and then I read about this problem, and I'm thinking I've made a mistake. What I've been able to ascertain from reading so far, and correct me if I'm wrong...

-The Stainless Steel versions have the problem, not so much with the bitone and black.

-If you clean and store your gun correctly, and not in the foam shipping case, it's not an issue.

All of this is somewhat surprising to me. I've had a Firestar 45 for 20 years and I've never paid any particular attention to it, and there's not a spot of rust on it, not even in the barrel. It's often gone 3-4 years here and there without even a thought given to it. I live in an area that is extremely humid for at least 4 months of the year. I didn't do anything extraordinary to prevent rust, just made sure I cleaned it after the last session and oiled it a bit and made sure not to leave it on top of a saltwater fish tank afterward.

So what's the deal? I'm waiting to pick up my XDm 45 and I want to make sure that I'm prepared for whatever is required, and also trying to understand the reason.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe any rust issues come down to improper care and storage.

everything I read before I bought leads me to believe the steel treatment is the same as the almighty glocks.

maybe some guys that know more than me can shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Both the things you have listed is correct.

The black ones are fine.........

Before 2006 (I think, maybe its 2003), the black XD's did not have the melonite, and they had some issues, but post melonite, you should be good to go.........if you sweat a lot and carry it or live near the ocean, wipe it down on a regular basis with a silicon cloth.

Other than that...after shooting, clean it and lube it and life is good

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe any rust issues come down to improper care and storage.

everything I read before I bought leads me to believe the steel treatment is the same as the almighty glocks.

maybe some guys that know more than me can shed some light on the subject.
Ditto. I've left guns in foam cases for over a year, live in a high humidity location, and have never had issues with rust. Then again, I properly care/clean my weapons and use a lubricant made for guns that further preserves them (Eezox or CLP).

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it was the foam case it comes in would they not come with rust on them. They are stored in that case for who knows how long. if you use a good lube rem oil break free or such i dont see how it could be the case.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I clean and lube my Xdm internals, I also give the slide a nice very thin coat of clp. I carry so it rarely stays in the case. However, I do have tons of those silicon packets in all my ammo storage areas, locks, and cases.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The only rust issues I have had with my XD(M)40 is the surface area of the exposed trigger pins and other roll pins. They cleaned up easily and I applied a little more oil in the areas...but the slide and barrel and internals have had no signs of rust whatsoever.

If you store your firearms, I have had great results using these in the cases:

No-Rust Shield | Rust Inhibitor | Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitors

You can find them in the tool section at your local Walmart... :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found that rubbing my guns down with a little bit a ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) works great. It has good migration propertise, it's a great rust inhibitor, has minamal tackieness so it doesn't trap a lot of dust or fouling, and it's far cheaper than most products sold at the sporting goods store. It also cleans.

Try this: next time you clean your gun, once you're getting clean patches through the barrel, soak a patch in ATF and push it through with a jag. See how much more fouling comes out on that patch. I'm not advocating using it instead of hoppes #9, but after I'm done with hoppes, I run 1 wet ATF soaked patch and then 1 dry to remove most of the excess and leave the rest in the barrel to protect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts