Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I treat my XD like a kitten. I barely shoot it, only on occasions I actually have time to go to the range. (Not often)

I sent in my XD to be refinished in Tuff Gun 2 and Tuff gun 1 coats at Mac McGraw's shop. During the coating process, Mac encountered some errors on the surface of the slide, and had to shave off a couple of thousandths of an inch to smoothen the surface. After that he applied the coatings, no problem. What this did, however, is create a small gap between the front and rear sights and the slide itself. (the sights' height remained the same, while the slide's grooves became shallower)

I don't know if that has to do with anything, but a couple days ago I was practicing reholstering my XD in a tactical holster, and all of a sudden, the front sight just fell off. The gun was never dropped, it was never banged against anything. Upon inspecting the groove where the front sight was, I saw a gluey material. Are front sights supposed to be glued on?

I emailed MAC twice already within the last week about the problem and if he could fix it for me since he put the sights back on the XD, but I have not received a response yet.

I am getting a little worried here guys....do I have to purchase a new slide and have it recoated all over again?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Use a center punch, a spring-loaded one would work, and put some dimples on the dovetailed portion of your sight. Then get some red locktite and put a drop in the slot and tap your sight back into place. Let it dry for an hour or so and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Both of these gentlemen have the ticket. Go forth now, and shoot. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just wondering.......doesn't the front sight get hammered in just like the rear sights?

Or is it normal for the front sight to be glued in?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well if you refinish a firearm especially with a spray on usually the firearm is not Fully cured when it is reassembled. So instead of banging all over your sight to get it in like it was as hard to get off you can shave the bottom of the sight. take the base that fits in the dove tail and just make it fit it should go in without having to torque to hell and back but some loctite will be required to get the full fit that wont fall out.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Oh yea remember it is a Holiday week, I even got calls on Thanksgiving day for orders. I took some of them but if he works for him self like I do he may have the week off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I make sure that the front sight does not come off again?

Is there a really permanent way to attach the front sight so that it does not come off when I really need it? (example: self defense, quick draw from holster)

Or is this locktite so strong that even God's hands won't be able to peel them off of the gun?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I don't think you want to permantly bond them to the gun, in case you choose to swap them out at a later date. The Red Loctite will be good enough until that day comes or God choose to move your sights on you, as a bad joke. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
atkamano
I've responded to your e-mails twice but I guess you have not received them? Maybe your filters are cutting them out?
Anyway, as I understood your e-mail, the front site did not slide out sideways...it popped out to the top. If this is the case, you do not want to dimple the surface. More detailed work is required. Dimpling the surface is ok if it's loose in the channel and moves sideways. Clear me thru your email filters and send me the slide. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons.
http://www.shootiniron.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I appreciate all of your responses.

As it turns out, MAC has been replying to my emails, but my spam filter has been putting them into my spam folder. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Anywho, I am going to send the slide and the sight in to MAC so he can take a better look at it.

Thanks for all your help.

RTPerf - thanks for the offer!! maybe one day i'll hold you to it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts