Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie question (quite obvious) -Is this ammo acceptable for an XD9SC? 9mm Federal Tactical HST 147 grain Hollow Point ammunitionGuess the word 'tactical' has me wondering if it's different or not appropriate.
Thanks!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Totally fine!!
The XD is rated for P and +P on a continuous basis.

The stuff you want to avoid is +P+ designed for an UZI or something like that ... I've never even seen the stuff but I hear it is around.

ETA: TActical is a marketing phrase, although in some locations it is a phrase used to describe LE only ... But really, it's just marketing ... The HST is a good defensive round from what I've seen/heard ... Shot it, but never did any testing.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
That ammo will work just fine. In my opinion "tactical" is synonomous with defense. Not something I would shoot at the range ( because of cost vs. quantity) but would carry for defense rounds.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Totally fine!!
The XD is rated for P and +P on a continuous basis.

The stuff you want to avoid is +P+ designed for an UZI or something like that ... I've never even seen the stuff but I hear it is around.
Winchester Ranger +p+ 127GR SXT (RA9TA). It's what I use in my xd9 and haven't had a single hiccup...a little pricey though.

That ammo is fine for the SC. some may say to get the short-barrel ammo, as regular ammo wont have the same velocity/accuracy through that barrel, but hey, a 9mm at 1200fps and 900fps is still a 9mm coming at you.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Winchester Ranger +p+ 127GR SXT (RA9TA). It's what I use in my xd9 and haven't had a single hiccup...a little pricey though.

That ammo is fine for the SC. some may say to get the short-barrel ammo, as regular ammo wont have the same velocity/accuracy through that barrel, but hey, a 9mm at 1200fps and 900fps is still a 9mm coming at you.
Just because it fits the chamber and hasn't went boom ... Doesn't mean it won't ;)

The XD is not rated for +P+

You are shooting the stuff at your own risk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That ammo will work just fine. In my opinion "tactical" is synonomous with defense. Not something I would shoot at the range ( because of cost vs. quantity) but would carry for defense rounds.
I agree! Our two XDs are recent purchases with very few rounds through them. :-( Could not find any 147 grain at two local Walmarts & 1 Academy. Uh-oh! I wish I started buying a box here and there before now. Even the online places are out of what I wanted to purchase just one week ago when they were available---higher than I wanted to pay, but at least you could order them or even backorder. Not now.

The fellow who processed the ammo transaction at Ammunition Center said there is definitely higher demand this election year than last. Hmmmmmm.... I wonder why? :roll:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I get all my HST from ammunitiontogo.com. $19.95 for 50 round boxes. Fast shipping good service.

The 147gr standard pressure are fine in a 9sc. I use either the 147 or 124. Both work very well. The heavier 147 will give an inch or so better penetration.

·
Registered
937 Posts
ive heard that the 147's arent that great I read somewhere that the 124's are better, google 9mm self defensive rounds. I guess the 147's may not penetrate enough according to some.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ive heard that the 147's arent that great I read somewhere that the 124's are better, google 9mm self defensive rounds. I guess the 147's may not penetrate enough according to some.
I dunno, depends on what ya read.
Even gel tests don't always agree.

124 is smaller/lighter but faster
147 is bigger/heavier but slower

and you have +p in both grains in many brands...

Lots of variables.
Make sure it runs in your gun flawlessly and either one will doit toit.

- OS

·
Registered
111 Posts
After doing some research, I decided to go with Federal HST 124gr +P for my XD9SC. Got mine from Ammunitiontogo.com. They had the best pricing and shipping is not bad. Received my ammo today.

·
Registered
254 Posts
After doing some research, I decided to go with Federal HST 124gr +P for my XD9SC. Got mine from Ammunitiontogo.com. They had the best pricing and shipping is not bad. Received my ammo today.
Yeah, I use 124 gr +p. Golden Saber in XD9 SC. Local cops use it. Plenty good enough, I'm sure. Also have GS in .357 revo, too.

- OS

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I run Federal HST 147 grain's through my 9SC and they work flawlessly, just like the 230 grain HST's do in my 45 Compact. It's good ammo.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I run Federal HST 147 grain's through my 9SC and they work flawlessly, just like the 230 grain HST's do in my 45 Compact. It's good ammo.
I agree that it's good ammo. I carry the HST 147 +p (P9HST4). Never had a problem of any kind.

One question though. Has anyone noticed a little bit of a hitch when the slide cycles? Kind of like the round hits something before sliding into place.

If you don't know what a "hitch" is, Grandpa McCoy in the Real McCoys and Chester in Gunsmoke both had a hitch in their step.

If you're too young to remember either of these TV shows, if someone kicks you in the knee cap, you will likely have a hitch in your step for the next week or so.

·
Registered
254 Posts

If you don't know what a "hitch" is, Grandpa McCoy in the Real McCoys and Chester in Gunsmoke both had a hitch in their step....
"Hitch in your giddyup" is the proper term :)

Have 9SC - I've not shot that particular 147gr, but have shot several brands in that weight, but never noticed any pause, roughness, or other "hitch".

- OS

·
Registered
174 Posts
The biggest reason I'v read to stay away from 147 gr 9mm is that the longer length may causing feeding problems in some guns. The only 9mm I own is a Kel-Tec P11 so I stay away from it since its a compact gun and may just magnify any feeding problems with longer ammo.

I stick with 124gr in standard pressure and don't really feel under-gunned. I have the XD45 compact for when it gets rough ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts