Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently reload 9mm and really enjoy it.

My wife is talking about getting rid of her Taurus 9mm (I would keep mine) and getting a 380.....

Where is the best place to buy reloading supplies for it as factory ammo is expensive for that thing.

What grain would you recommend?

THANKS!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You can certainly save some money reloading 380. Typically, they run best w/ 88-102gr bullets. Once fired brass isn't as readily available so I would probably buy the cheapest factory stuff & save the brass for reloading. Faster powders work best, HP38/W231, WST, Reddot, probably TG & Clays as well. You will need 380 dies as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I reload for a Sig P232 and a Walther PP. No more difficult than loading for a .45 ACP, except that I had to make a custom loading block to hold those very short cases. The holes on my regular blocks are too deep, so that a .380 case goes all the way in, so you can get a grip on it. I made one out of a piece of scrap wood.

I like the bulk 102 gr. Golden Sabers from Midway

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would seem to make sense to get your .380 reloading supplies from the same place you get your 9mm reloading components, would it not?
Yea it would...but I am talking about FMJ bullets....I buy them from Percision Delta....but Precision Delta does not produce .380 rounds....so that is the part I am looking for.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been using Berry's 100gr plated bullets with 3gr [email protected] for practice ammo. For carry ammo I've been loading Hornady 90gr XTP with 2.6gr [email protected] Been loading them on a Dillon 550 with no issues. I got lucky and bought 2k of shells on ebay before they turned wuss. You can do a google search or keep an eye out at the gun shows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea it would...but I am talking about FMJ bullets....I buy them from Percision Delta....but Precision Delta does not produce .380 rounds....so that is the part I am looking for.
Same as 9mm (.355 diameter) just see what they have for 90-100 gr. bullets.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
same as 9mm but watch your loads and don't hotrod the load

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
You can certainly save some money reloading 380. Typically, they run best w/ 88-102gr bullets. Once fired brass isn't as readily available so I would probably buy the cheapest factory stuff & save the brass for reloading. Faster powders work best, HP38/W231, WST, Reddot, probably TG & Clays as well. You will need 380 dies as well.
Fred, was someone else posting on your comp that day?:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have reloaded on and off for years and just started loading the 380. What a pita. the brass is very thin and any movement in the shell holder can cause alignment problems. Also check your oal. Whats published in the books may not function in your gun with your chosen bullet. Just go slow and double check everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts