Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a vid on YouTube about how to clean my XDM and the guy said not to put oil on the barrel after cleaning it. I’m new to handguns in general but this did not make sense to me. I know the barrel comes in contact with other parts of the gun, especially the breach area. Is this guy correct or should I put a light coat of gun oil on the barrel for lubrication purposes?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I used to oil the barrel but now I only oil the outside where it comes in contact with the slide. What I've noticed over the last year is that when I carry even a light coat of oil inside the barren tends to collect dust and lint. I only oil the inside when I'm storing it for awhile.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I used to oil the barrel but now I only oil the outside where it comes in contact with the slide. What I've noticed over the last year is that when I carry even a light coat of oil inside the barren tends to collect dust and lint.
Yeah I should have mentioned that...I just leave the outside oiled...oil on the inside only creates more of a mess...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Oil on the outside only cleaned mine a few hours ago and di this she still rns great. F##% Federal JHP regulars though only round to jam in my XD in almost a thousand rounds. FTF 10 out of 50 bullets WTF!!! I about trusted me and my families safety on these thankfully I forked over the dough to test a box. Sorry for the threadack.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I always oil the inside of the barrel...you don't need much, though.

After every shoot I run a boresnake through it, with cleaner up front and a bit of oil at the end. Puts just enough on the barrel to keep it protected. Haven't noticed any extra crud building up.

For a detail clean I oil liberally, then finish off with a boresnake, as per above. If I'm storing it, I leave a liberal amount of oil on all parts of the barrel (and rest of gun).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
a bit of clp on the mop brush and a pass thru the barrel to finish.

if your worried about dust collecting on the oil in the bbl, your gonna get the same collection on any oily part of the firearm.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I really don't go out of my way but my barrel usually has a thin coat of oil on the inside. The top where the slide comes in contact gets a nice coat right before shooting.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Unless I'm storing my XD in a pile of sand, I haven't had issues with excess oil on any part of the weapon after properly cleaning. Just clean the weapon like something you would eat off of, light coat of oil left on the moving parts. KISS.....

Just don't oil your ammo. Ever hear the term "keep your powder dry". It matters.... ok.

But it's your weapon, and as long as you don't store it in a vat of salt, should be fine. If you live in the south, or a coastal town, you'll learn that any exposed metal will soon rust without some sort of inhibator. good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
After cleaning it.I give a light coating before placing back in the safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I leave a light coating of Breakfree CLP in the bore, and on the slide exterior, for corrosion protection. For lube I use Outers' Gun Grease. It doesn't evaporate or run off. Any dust that accumulates in the bore will be only the slightest hinderence to bullets passing through.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I oil the outside of the barrel - Gun Butter. I never leave any oil inside the barrel. Oil in the barrel could cause extra resistance - raise pressure. I run a patch with Gun Butter on it through the barrel then run clean patches until dry.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Any oil that is in the barrel from the previous time cleaning would be quickly burnt off inside the barrel from being fired. I doubt you'd get through a whole magazine before it was completely gone. So, I really don't think you'll have a problem with it raising pressure and slowing down your bullets. :lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I run a lightly oiled patch through the barrel. Then I oil the outside of the barrel. I also put a little Tetra grease on the contact parts underneath that cam the barrel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is advised that you run a dry patch through your barrel until it comes out clean, at the end of cleaning. Do not oil the inside of your barrel unless you are going to store it. Then run a dry patch through it before firing it. Here is why: When a round is fired the brass expands outward and contacts the chamber very tightly. This does two things, it prevents the gases from leaking back towards the shooter, and it holds the brass from kicking back too hard on the bolt face (friction). If the chamber is oily, the brass wants to slip back with great force causing unusual stresses on the gun. You want the pressure to be pushing the bullet, not the bolt face.

It is ok to run a lightly oiled patch over the exterior of the barrel for lubrication and protection.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It'd take a whole lot more oil than what you're doing to do what James is saying ...

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It is advised that you run a dry patch through your barrel until it comes out clean, at the end of cleaning. Do not oil the inside of your barrel unless you are going to store it. Then run a dry patch through it before firing it. Here is why: When a round is fired the brass expands outward and contacts the chamber very tightly. This does two things, it prevents the gases from leaking back towards the shooter, and it holds the brass from kicking back too hard on the bolt face (friction). If the chamber is oily, the brass wants to slip back with great force causing unusual stresses on the gun. You want the pressure to be pushing the bullet, not the bolt face.

It is ok to run a lightly oiled patch over the exterior of the barrel for lubrication and protection.
WTF?
Is crack THAT cheap in the beehive state these days?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used to oil the barrel but now I only oil the outside where it comes in contact with the slide. What I've noticed over the last year is that when I carry even a light coat of oil inside the barren tends to collect dust and lint. I only oil the inside when I'm storing it for awhile.
I always put a light coat on the inside and outside of the barrel. When it collects dust and other detritus it's doing its job. This is one function of lubricants, to catch debris to keep that debris from getting to other places where it isn't wanted.

Plus, being metal, it can rust like anything else. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts