Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, finally got my Handgun carry permit and was wanting to get some opinions.

since I will be carrying this gun on my person, sometimes leaving it in the car with different weather conditions, etc. . .is plain gun oil still enough for lube or should switching to gun grease be better.

With hot summers and cold winters, if the gun is left in the car, is any one lube product better.

also, how often to re-inspect and add more lube when carrying?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Neither, use a dry lube for CC.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

I've been using this for years and it works really well. Oil and Grease have a tendency to attract dirt and gum up after a while. Militec is a dry lube that goes on wet. It takes very little, but works great. I've used it in 130 degrees down to 17 degrees. I won't using anything but militec in a sandy environment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's a ton of modern and old fashioned lubes out there. I recommend one of these,
1. Break-Free
2. Tri-Flow
3. Mil-Com-25
All three will suffice, however on poly-framed guns like the XD a CLP lube is your best bet. Currently im using Break-Free with good results. Tri-flow isn't a CLP, it's regular lube with Teflon. Mil-Com-25 is the best you can get. It comes in both oil and grease, but is hard to find.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Being that your only using a small amount, pretty much anything will do.I've used Dri lube, luberplate,Breakfree,Hoppe's, Gun slick,white lithium grease, and even Mobil One V twin 15/50 on most of my pistols at one time or another. Never saw a significant difference in any of them. Pick a lube you like,use it sparingly, keep your gun clean and you'll never have any problems relating to the type of lube you use. I field strip my CC pistol once a week if it looks like it needs any attention I'll take care of it, if it doesn't then I don't do anything. These pistols today don't need a lot of fussin over. JMHO

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
CLP. I use this to clean and lube after I shoot it. If I look and see fuzzys and junk in the nooks and carneys, I'll do a field strip and wipe down/blow-out.. If at that time the rails look dry, I add a dab on each side and then work it in. Pretty easy to care for these hogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts