Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on cleaning my XD-M for the first time, after shooting about 250 rounds. From what I have read on this site, Breakfree CLP seems to be a good product. I Plan on using CLP on most parts, along with Hoppes 9 for the bore. Do I need any lube/oil such as Rem oil on the rails or barrel after the CLP, or is the CLP is enough.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CLP is good enough for lube but is not the best cleaner. You can use Hoppes to clean the entire gun and then lube with CLP. No need to follow CLP with another lube.
I never thought about it that way I thought CLP is more of a cleaner than a lube. I've been trying to find instuction on the use of CLP, but does it have to be wipe completely off after its apply?

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
When I was in the military CLP was the only thing issued for cleaning and lubing our weapons. Hoppes 9 breaks down carbon and powder residue build up fast. CLP will too, but it takes longer. If your using just CLP, you may want to spary it down and let it soak for 30 mins. or so, then wipe it down. Then just a light coat on your rails and carrier works great for lubrication.

Recently, I have been using Tetra gun grease. It stays in place and really seems to make a difference in the smoothness of the action. I'm sold on it!

FTI, Inc. - Tetra Gun Care Products

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I never thought about it that way I thought CLP is more of a cleaner than a lube. I've been trying to find instuction on the use of CLP, but does it have to be wipe completely off after its apply?
CLP is more lube than cleaner but it will clean as stated above but Hoppes, BoreShine, etc are much better solvents. Clean with Hoppes, then lube the rails. Barrel lugs, etc with CLP. You can then wipe down any exposed metal like the slide with CLP and then wipe it off to protect the metal. Not necessary but it can help prevent rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts