Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Ohio members planning on going to the gun show in Lima at the Allen County Fairgrounds today? I see on their page it's a 400 table show and I'm debating on making the drive from Columbus to this show tomorrow.

Is anyone going or have gone to this show in the past? Is it a decent show worth the drive?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
All the recent reports on gun shows that I have seen indicate that they are mainly populated by dealers with overpriced merchandise. Add to that the fact that Lima is an armpit of a town and you'll probably find it's a giant waste of time. Time that would be better spent hitting Wally World for ammo and then the range, followed up by a nice dinner in German Village. BTW, is Engine House 5 still in business? Spent 5 years in Columbus attending Ohio State in the 70's and still wish I hadn't moved away, it's one great town.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Any Ohio members planning on going to the gun show in Lima at the Allen County Fairgrounds today? I see on their page it's a 400 table show and I'm debating on making the drive from Columbus to this show tomorrow.

Is anyone going or have gone to this show in the past? Is it a decent show worth the drive?
I wouldn't make the drive all the way from Columbus. I will probably be going tomorrow morning, but it's only a 1/2 hr drive for me. Most of it is way overpriced, and the organization at the Lima show isn't great. There are usually a few odds and ends that are fun to look at, and if you're not dead set on buying anything it is an OK show to go and look at stuff. I went last month and came home with a few full size human silhouettes. There were a bunch of C&R pieces and a booth filled with a bunch of commemorative sets of Colts, Rugers, etc., but overall it wasn't anything to write home about.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No....sadly to say the Engine House closed down as far as I know....but Thurman's Cafe is still going strong ;-).

I really go to the show's to look for C&Rs, deal on private sale that I can't pass up and parts...parts...and more parts.

If there a a bunch of C&R guns, pieces and parts I may end of making the drive if I can ever get my gun show buddy off his dead arse in the morning.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
No....sadly to say the Engine House closed down as far as I know....but Thurman's Cafe is still going strong ;-).

I really go to the show's to look for C&Rs, deal on private sale that I can't pass up and parts...parts...and more parts.

If there a a bunch of C&R guns, pieces and parts I may end of making the drive if I can ever get my gun show buddy off his dead arse in the morning.
They had a few Krags there last time including a carbine. They had hundreds of Mosin Nagants, there was a booth with a bunch of Enfields. You'll see Mausers in all kinds of conditions. There was a guy who had a bunch of old Mossberg bolt action shotguns in great condition. It's the kind of show that the clutter is annoying, but if you take the time to sort through everything you might find something interesting. Just make sure you get there early enough to be able to take your time in sorting it out. It's not a gigantic gun show, but the clutter drove me nuts. I felt like a 300lb sardine.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info....just learned there actually a show here in Columbus (my gun show buddy called) so it look's like we're going to stay in town.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents on the Lima show. I picked up my XD .40 with night sights brand new for $450 so I think there are at least some good deals to be had there (the guy had a bunch of em too). The one thing I hate is that the aisles are small so it's hard to get by a table if it gets backed up. They do a show the first weekend of each month if I recall correctly.

I went to the gun show at dayton yesterday (airport expo center) and prices were pretty high IMO but I'm used to looking at prices from Vance outdoors or Old English (both offer the best prices I've seen). I don't know that I'll mess with that again. I'd rather take the time to drive over to Vance if I'm serious about getting a great price on a gun.

There's so much demand out there so deals may be hard to find nowadays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts