Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
Yet another reason I love this state! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was ambivalent about this until I read the story. Drunkenness and firearms are generally not a great mix, but the new law specifies that someone carrying can't drink at the same time. So this just makes it so you can go and hang out with your friends in a bar and act like a designated driver (and designated pistolero, I suppose). Hopefully everyone will respect that provision and not create problems for everyone else by being drunk and armed.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was ambivalent about this until I read the story. Drunkenness and firearms are generally not a great mix, but the new law specifies that someone carrying can't drink at the same time. So this just makes it so you can go and hang out with your friends in a bar and act like a designated driver (and designated pistolero, I suppose). Hopefully everyone will respect that provision and not create problems for everyone else by being drunk and armed.
Not only can you not drink after entering, you can't be under the influence or alcohol or drugs when you walk in to a class D armed.

Both felonies that will get you permanently barred from ever having your CHL again.

Common sense prevailed here.

This law also removes all transport restrictions for your handgun if you have a CHL. If you want to you can mount a holster anywhere you want or you can (not advised for safety) lay it on the seat without of a holster. You can touch your gun while driving to adjust it, just can't touch it if stopped for law enforcement purposes or during the LEO walking up. Prompt LE notification is still required.

NOTE: This transport change doesn't include long guns. Long guns are not covered by your CHL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a resident of Ohio, I would ask that you change the name of the title post. It is a Restaurant carry bill, not a Bar carry bill. If an establishment has a liquor license you can only carry there if it also serves food. It also made the crime of carrying under disability a felony instead of a misdemeanor. We are not stupid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As a resident of Ohio, I would ask that you change the name of the title post. It is a Restaurant carry bill, not a Bar carry bill. If an establishment has a liquor license you can only carry there if it also serves food. It also made the crime of carrying under disability a felony instead of a misdemeanor. We are not stupid.
I don't think that statement is accurate since Ohio doesn't distinguish between a restaurant and a bar. The new law will include all establishments that have a class D license.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't think that statement is accurate since Ohio doesn't distinguish between a restaurant and a bar. The new law will include all establishments that have a class D license.
^^ this... plus, whens the last time you have been in a bar that didn't serve food? Every bar I have entered has served food.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wish I lived in a real state.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Does Ohio have just bars? You're saying they have bars that serve 100% alcohol and no food? What, do they have the swinging wooden doors to enter and dirt floors too?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only posted it as I read it and as a courtesy to our fellow Ohio XD'ers. It was an interesting read. No need to be bitter, no one said anything about stupid, except you.

If it really burns up inside, you might want to call Reuters complaint hotline and kindly ask them to change their headline.

·
Banned
744 Posts
VA passed this law a year or maybe 2 ago and I have not heard of a single incident happening like the liberal scumbags said it would promote.

I could be wrong, but I never heard any stories on the news.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If it serves liquor or beer or wine it will be legal to carry providing they do not put up a sign. There is no requirement they serve food with any of the above to make it legal. There is no 51% language either. We specifically didn't want any distinction as Ohio law is already convoluted as it is in regards to firearms. If they serve then you can carry unless they put up a sign.

This does away with the blanket open air stadium that serves ban as well. That however doesn't mean anything as most have said they will keep the no gun signs up and that is that as far a being legal to carry there.

All these places you can not consume or be under the influence when entering. Lets be clear on that.

·
Banned
744 Posts
SC needs restaurant carry bill. We're still stuck in the dark ages. Nice to see other states moving along.
Yeah you're right SC does. In coming there on vacation and am pissed. I want to carry when I'm there but because its vacation we will be eating out a lot. Pain in the ass having to leave in truck, eat, go back out to truck, especially if its parked far away.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Washington is halfway. You can't carry into an establishment or part of an establishment that is off limits to under 21, but if there's a restaurant portion that is all ages, you can carry there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Think about this - maybe, just maybe, a law like this is bound to fail and will eventually be repealed because drunk men with guns never do smart things. We all know there are plenty of idiots with firearms ... they often screw it up for the rest of us.

If/when this law gets repealed, a whole stream of other antigun laws will naturally follow and will only cause greater heartache for gun folks later down the line. New laws WILL follow because bureaucrats ALWAYS over-compensate with gun legislation (and most other things).

Don't be too quick to celebrate a victory yet...wait and see how many bar room shootouts take place this year and then you'll know if this was a good idea or not.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Think about this - maybe, just maybe, a law like this is bound to fail and will eventually be repealed because drunk men with guns never do smart things. We all know there are plenty of idiots with firearms ... they often screw it up for the rest of us.

If/when this law gets repealed, a whole stream of other antigun laws will naturally follow and will only cause greater heartache for gun folks later down the line. New laws WILL follow because bureaucrats ALWAYS over-compensate with gun legislation (and most other things).

Don't be too quick to celebrate a victory yet...wait and see how many bar room shootouts take place this year and then you'll know if this was a good idea or not.
Show me any evidence of shootouts other states have had? Oh that's right, ZERO have had them! Please don't feed into the rest of the fear mongers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts