Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
127,182 Posts
good guy, 1 and bad guys, 0

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did the prosecutor ask why he got in his car and pulled away? Was he concerned with retaliation from the other thug?
I'm glad he ran into a prosecutor that actually believes in personal self defense, but it could have gone the other way.
He apparently did all the right things to satisfy OH definition using deadly force, so the good guy wins for a change.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm guessing .45 trumps crack...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Did the prosecutor ask why he got in his car and pulled away? Was he concerned with retaliation from the other thug?
I'm glad he ran into a prosecutor that actually believes in personal self defense, but it could have gone the other way.
He apparently did all the right things to satisfy OH definition using deadly force, so the good guy wins for a change.
He posted on OFCC about it. He left the situation to get away from the threat. He turned back around after talking to the 911 operator.

It's pretty cut and clear it was self defense. 2 thugs verse 1 guy. Not much to do since it's on camera he was defending himself from imminent harm.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The law in Ohio states:
2901.09 No duty to retreat in residence or vehicle.

(A) As used in this section, “residence” and “vehicle” have the same meanings as in section 2901.05 of the Revised Code.

(B) For purposes of any section of the Revised Code that sets forth a criminal offense, a person who lawfully is in that person’s residence has no duty to retreat before using force in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of that person’s residence, and a person who lawfully is an occupant of that person’s vehicle or who lawfully is an occupant in a vehicle owned by an immediate family member of the person has no duty to retreat before using force in self-defense or defense of another.
While he wasn't in the vehicle at the time, I think a defense attorney would have an easy time arguing that this was in self-defense, and that the shooter didn't have a duty to retreat, as he would have been in his vehicle if the assailant hadn't prevented him from entering. A prosecutor going after this guy would be setting himself up for an embarrassing defeat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The law in Ohio states:

While he wasn't in the vehicle at the time, I think a defense attorney would have an easy time arguing that this was in self-defense, and that the shooter didn't have a duty to retreat, as he would have been in his vehicle if the assailant hadn't prevented him from entering. A prosecutor going after this guy would be setting himself up for an embarrassing defeat.
CarlosT....Yes, the Castle Doctrine should be a valid defense is what entered my mind, too.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The man in the story of OFCCW indicated the attacker tried to pull him out of the vehicle, he had the Glock in the center console and was reaching for it to defend himself....he's also reporting that he like most of us carry with one in the chamber and if he had not, there would have been absolutely no way he could have chambered a round in tis situation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The man in the story of OFCCW indicated the attacker tried to pull him out of the vehicle, he had the Glock in the center console and was reaching for it to defend himself....he's also reporting that he like most of us carry with one in the chamber and if he had not, there would have been absolutely no way he could have chambered a round in tis situation.
I always carry one in the chamber. You never know if you have that split second to rack the slide. Which he did not.

·
Premium Member
127,182 Posts
I always carry one in the chamber. You never know if you have that split second to rack the slide. Which he did not.

The only way to carry, IMO.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I saw this on TV last night. It's not uncommon here in the Dayton area to have people begging for money at gas stations. I normaly see them walking towards me and just say, "nope, I don't have anything". Before they can even ask at times!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Okay, just watched the news report and it turns out he was in the car at one point, so I think the "no duty to retreat" provision would apply 100%.

ETA: I just realized because there were two assailants, disparity of force also comes into play, which would make any case against the shooter much more difficult, even if there were a duty to retreat in Ohio.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
shouldnt need a permit to be able to defend yourself or save your own life.

I think its disgusting that they have to add that he had a permit to legally possess the firearm.

in ohio you can carry a weapon in the car with out a "permit" but you cant have ammo in the magazine.

so because of that... I guess if he didn't have the "permit" he would have had to ask the bad guys to give him a few minutes to load his weapon. *eye roll*

oh yeah crack and wack.

·
Banned
744 Posts

You couldn't have said it better.

Like having smoke detectors with the batteries out because the oven always gives off smoke and sets them off when you cook. Then, while you're sleeping and a real fire starts it may be too late to escape.

That gun we carry HAS TO be ready to go in the blink of an eye!

1 - 20 of 143 Posts