Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went to Ruby Tuesdays (kinda like a Fridays) this past weekend and i had my XDm (CCW legal) but I locked it up in my truck when we went in because I didn't/don't know if I can legally take it into a restaraunt that has a bar. I heard ohio was passing a law but I don't know if it's legal yet, ANYONE know?

·
Premium Member
127,718 Posts
Soon... :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You are now legal to carry in such places as long as they are not posted and you are not drinking or have been drinking. The law specifically mentions both beer and spirits. No distinction. Carry on!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Also add that carry restrictions on how you carry in the car are changed as well with this new law. Gone is the, in a holster on your person or in closed box bag yada...You can carry your pistola how you like. Just do so safely. This only applies to Concealed carry licensed people.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also add that carry restrictions on how you carry in the car are changed as well with this new law. Gone is the, in a holster on your person or in closed box bag yada...You can carry your pistola how you like. Just do so safely. This only applies to Concealed carry licensed people.
Just finished reading the new laws and need clarification. If I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon but I am not carrying at the time, do I have to declare to the LEO that I have a CCW?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just finished reading the new laws and need clarification. If I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon but I am not carrying at the time, do I have to declare to the LEO that I have a CCW?
Well, since you asked twice, I'll answer twice ;)

No, not at all. You must only advise the officer if you are actually carrying at the time, and if it is an 'official encounter' such as a traffic stop or call for service at your house.

Page 14 of the Ohio Attorney General's handbook:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...05beac65926/Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx
(emphasis added by me)

Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters

If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a
concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor vehicle or not,
he shall inform the law enforcement officer that he is carrying a concealed
handgun. If in a vehicle, the licensee shall remain in the vehicle and
keep his hands in plain sight at all times. Violating this section of law
is a first-degree misdemeanor, and in addition to any other penalty
handed down by a court, may result in the suspension of the person’s
concealed handgun license for one year.

This means if you casually run into an officer, such as in a restaurant or shopping in a store, just smile and pass on by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts