Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really know where to put this - doesn't really go in the LEO section, imo

I own an 05 zx6r, I ride it unless it is snowing or raining HARD. I've put ~5k on it in about 3-4 months. I ride responsibly, I ride respectfully, and I must ride aggressively to avoid getting run over here in atlanta.

Example: on the highway I go 10-15mph faster than everyone else. It allows me to see what's ahead of me, pass it, and so on. It's really common for people to 'drift' across lanes. I've almost been hit three times (VERY close calls) where people change with me into their blind spot. Keep in mind I live in atlanta, where on 285 (speed limit is 55) if you are going 65 you WILL be run over. People go 70+ at least.

I got pulled over today by an awesome cop who completely understood. He ran my tags, checked my insurance/license and told me to be careful. I was clocked going 90 in a 55.

I have also been pulled over, gun drawn and POINTED at me (thought this wasn't allowed?) told to lie face down on the ground and handcuffed. They insisted I was evading arrest, etc etc etc. (I was going 10 over, and supposedly racing.. even though some old lady in a camry was beside me?) I fit no 'typical profile' just a normal 21 year old white kid. I pointed out that 1) I wasn't doing anything wrong. 2) I have no reason to run. 3) If I HAD run, there's no way I would have just pulled over. I had plenty of space to run with.
It was point 3 that made them finally calm down and listen to me. This is after I'm laying in the dirt in a $450 jacket and $200 pants.

Are sportbikers really THAT bad? I mean I see someone everynow and then being stupid - wheelies, racing, etc... but we're talking <1% that everyone is being judged on.

So.. mr. cop.. you see a sportbike pass you at 15 over. Do you pull them over? talk to me...

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Anyone going 15 over should get a ticket.

If the question is "are sport bikes singled out" I would say not really. Of course if people ride a bike that looks like a tube of toothpaste on two wheels, well, people are gonna look. I rode motorcylces for about 10 years and I got both kinds of cops. One (a highway patrolman on a bike) pulled up next to me on the freeway (complete surprise) when I was doing 85+. He waved the "slow down" sign at me and sped off, no ticket.

Another time I got a ticket for doing 60 in a 55 zone. How chicken **** is that?

The problem with sport bikes is that you will...one day....or every chance you get....you are gonna open that baby up and see what she'll do. You are going to break the law with your bike and they know that or else you wouldn't buy a bike that does sub-10 second quarter miles right out of the box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to go 10 over, around here, on any highway WILL put you in a dangerous situation, at the very least. At 15 over, you will be passed by grandma or whomever in the far right slow lane. I am not saying this out of an opinion - someone else from the atlanta area should be able to vouch for me. The problem is, on a bike, to go the same speed as traffic is putting yourself in a dangerous situation if you are on a motorcycle.

I agree with you 100% about seeing what the machine will do. There is, however, a time, and a place.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not an LEO, but a fellow sportbiker. I ride a CBR 1100XX. Yes, we get singled out just because we're on sportbikes. I've seen Harley riders with straight pipes go WFO in the middle of town at midnight and the cops don't do anything about it, but if I go through 5 mph over they'll pull me over. Got pulled over once and they claimed that I was trying to run. I told them if I was trying to run, they're helocopter wouldn't catch me.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
armatron said:
I am not saying this out of an opinion - someone else from the atlanta area should be able to vouch for me.
You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, theres a conflict between driving safely and driving legally. In a car, you can just drive slow (the speed limit) and people will get pissed at you and pass. On a bike, that's a totally different story, as you know.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The fast lane is the safest lane on the highway for motorcycles, as long as you don't follow that car in front of you too close.

I had near heart attack once when a dead possom suddenly appeared on road right in front of me while I was doing 70ish and following a little close.

Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
i ride a superhawk 996 and my stomach's turning to hear how some of these cops have acted

anyone going 15 over should get a ticket? really?... on a wide open country road with no traffic and no houses is it really a big deal? hmm... let's not go overboard

it's more than likely that the appearance of a sportbike will draw some negative attention

·
Registered
221 Posts
FYI A cop's duty is to protect the public, even from themselves. If that means giving a ticket for going 15+mph over the limit, so be it. If I did that, i would expect it. When anyone gets on a bike that has enough horsepower outrun even some of the best sportcars, more caution should be used. I am NOT trying to go off on anyone that rides a bike. Everyone on the road needs to pay more attention to everyone on the road. Car drivers towards bikers and bikers to car drivers. Speed limits are not there to ruin eveyones day, they are there to keep everyone as safe as possible while going at a reasonably fast speed. A year ago a guy lost his leg and eventually his life on a sport bike where i used to live. His friends were asked why they thought he would be going 100mph in a 55 and his friends said because he wanted to see what it could do. just food for thought. All you guys be careful.

(steps down off soapbox)

·
Registered
477 Posts
You paid $200 for a pair of pants?!

jonas

·
Registered
10 Posts
the_theologian said:
i ride a superhawk 996 and my stomach's turning to hear how some of these cops have acted

anyone going 15 over should get a ticket? really?... on a wide open country road with no traffic and no houses is it really a big deal? hmm... let's not go overboard

it's more than likely that the appearance of a sportbike will draw some negative attention
Yes you should get a ticket. You ride like that, you get caught, you pay the price. Does the sign say "55 mph unless no one else is around"? No. I ride a Harley and my riding buddy is a police officer. We have had this conversation PLENTY of times. Discression is up to the officer (in some cases). Rules are rules. Whether they be rules of the road or rules for gun ownership. They are put into place for a reason and that reason is safety. And by the way, my cop buddy even got a ticket on a trip once on his Harley. Just like you or I would have done, he tried to use the "I'm a cop on vacation" line and it didn't work. He signed and payed for the ticket without even a whimper. Why? Because he knows the rules, he broke the rules, and he had to pay for breaking the rules.

As far as sport bikes being targeted, it all perception. Harley riders think we get a bad rap. Crotch-rocketeers think they are unfairly singled out. I do know around this area in Florida there isn't a day that goes by that I don't see some jack**s on his death-sled inviting an accident to either himself or other riders/drivers by doing something stupid.

Ride safe and RIDE SMART!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok, my two cents from Wisconsin on the sport-bike thing. I ride a Harley, loud pipes, high ape-hanger bars (most likely not legal) all tattoos usually showing and never get noticed by the local or Highway police :?: Why, I'm not really sure other than my wife and I usually ride together and speed on a Harley is really not a highly desired thing for us :evil: I think the sportbikes compared to the Harley riders look more like speed and show off'ish (if that's a word) to the cops. Just an opinion............DT

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
cublifer said:
Yes you should get a ticket. You ride like that, you get caught, you pay the price. Does the sign say "55 mph unless no one else is around"? No. I ride a Harley and my riding buddy is a police officer.
Ok, fine. But the problem is that cops will SINGLE OUT sportbike riders who are speeding, ignoring the multitude of speeding cages around them. Granted, the sportbike community attracts its fair share of showboats, but the cruiser riders (who are largely left alone) are full of unsafe types as well. Older guys who haven't ridden in 30 years, "F-- Helmet" types who knock back a few at the bar and then potato-potato off into the night, etc. The statement that sometimes you'd BETTER be speeding to stay safe is 100% correct. If you catch me on one wheel, fine, write me up. But to pull me over for doing 70 in a 55 along with every other car, while other cars are doing 80+? It's just plain wrong.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I actually registered just for this thread, although I have lurked for quite a while.

Ok, my take, as I have a friend who is LEO, State Trooper. He says LEO's are more afraid of a sportbike because it can and will outrun anything they can throw against it. I know, speaking from experience on a race track, I had a Suzuki GSX-R1000, and it would easily hit 170 on a straight, and still have left to give. That said, I did practice the common 10+ in traffic, to keep from getting run over. I only got pulled over once on the bike, clocked 68 in a 55. The officer asked me why I was speeding, I explained to him that riding next to a car will get you killed because they wont see you, he let me off with a warning and said to ride safe. He had every right to give me a ticket, and I fully expected him to. I broke the law, got caught, and I would have paid the fine associated with doing so. Motorcyclists are caught between breaking the law, and losing their life Im afriad.

Oh, and I have an XD 9, in 4" Service. :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
armatron said:
to go 10 over, around here, on any highway WILL put you in a dangerous situation, at the very least. At 15 over, you will be passed by grandma or whomever in the far right slow lane. I am not saying this out of an opinion - someone else from the atlanta area should be able to vouch for me. The problem is, on a bike, to go the same speed as traffic is putting yourself in a dangerous situation if you are on a motorcycle.
It sounds like you should consider driving a car. If you are concerned for your safety and the only way for you to feel "safer" is to drive 85-90, than you are in the wrong state of mind.

I rode a bike for several years when I lived in East Texas and wouldn't take it near a larger city. Drive a car during the week and save the bike for a weekend rider.

My .02

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I dont have a MC yet but I have a sport compact car. Its lowered, body kit, custom exhaust, chrome wheels etc. I get singled out just because. Its one of those things that you either live with and accept and try to stay as legal as possible or get rid of it. Example: I keep my front license plate in my windshield because I didnt want to drill into my new bumper. I was pulled over 1 day not because it was in the window but because the cop didnt see it on the bumper I'm sure what helped was that my car look like it does and maybe he could find other violations I dont know. Anyways he says you dont have a front plate. I say yea its right there. He says where? As hes moving around the front of the car and says its suppose to be on the bumper (looked up the law and it doesnt specify). He also says my companys name thats covering up my rear window is illegal as well as my exhaust. I didnt get a ticket but I'm sure if I was in a BMW or Audi or something luxury I wouldnt have gotten pulled over.

·
Registered
513 Posts
JHA XD40 said:
You paid $200 for a pair of pants?!

jonas
Yes I did. plus another $200 for the jacket, $50 for the gloves, $200 for the helmet, and $150 for the boots. It's easy to have $1000 or more in riding gear if you want to protect yourself. They paid off for me early this year in an accident that I had. I still have all of my skin, though my right knee got blown out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I believe it's totally up to me when I'm on my bike to take care of myself :!: You just can't leave that up to the other drivers espically when you're on that bike. So, yes there are certain places I won't go during rush hour. I don't like it even in my truck, too many overly distracted people :evil: But the weekends on the country roads are great. I have also seen my share of fellow Harley riders doing some pretty stupid things on the road :( I guess there are those few in every bunch no matter what it is....

Ride safe,
Shoot safe,
Have fun :!:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Lumberjack98 said:
Drive a car during the week and save the bike for a weekend rider.

My .02
No offense, Lumberjack, but a true motorcyclist wouldn't dream of doing such a thing.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Just a side note, Ive since gotten away from motorcycles. I still cycle, its just pedal powered :wink: Nothing quite like the Blue Ridge mountains on a bike....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts