Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be able to carry soon, and wanted to get some tips on off body carry. I do have a comp tac holster, but with a little one sometimes need a back. I was looking at the 5 11 select carry sling pack and select carry pistol pouch which goes on the front of the back pack. I'm a young so I know the fanny pack is not for meet, no offense but my grandfather wears a fanny pack.

1. How often do you off body carry
2. What do you use
3. When do you off body carry

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I do home health PT and don't carry into patients homes. Lot of physical interaction with the patients and if i became uncovered yikes!

So during the day I carry in a Jumbo Fatboy versipack locked in my car during visits and sling it over my shoulder for when I go to other public places.
there are other less pricey options out there.
has one nearly identical to Versipack Fat boy. Make sure you can return it if your pistol dosn't fit the carry pocket properly.
I initially ordered the Fatboy reg size and it was to tight for carrying the XD sc9.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
What type of scenarios are you thinking off body carry would be preferred over a more traditional holster set up? I carry either iwb, or pocket when I need even more stealth. If your concern is work related, might be tricky depending on what you do.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
1. Never
2. A safe
3. Never

There's a case of a guy here in my home state who decided to carry "off-body". Oopsie, he left his backpack unattended for "just a minute". Bad ju-ju.

Free, opinionated advice: If a gun is not in your control (on your body), it should be locked up in a steel box (and not one with glass windows).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am no expert, but I also feel uncomfortable with the idea of carrying a gun around without always having control of it. I haven't started carrying yet, but when I do, it'll be on me. If I ever have to leave it in a car, I'm going to put it in a portable safe.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Never carry in anything other than a holster on me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I carry in a Wittenberg shoulder bag most of the time. only one rule Where I go it stays with me and is never out of my control.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type of scenarios are you thinking off body carry would be preferred over a more traditional holster set up? I carry either iwb, or pocket when I need even more stealth. If your concern is work related, might be tricky depending on what you do.
u do.[/QUOT

Since have to dress up for work, when I'm off I like to wear sweat pants and basketball shorts. Usually on the weekend throw on jeans, so was thinking when I'm out throw on the back pack and throw my wallet and whatever eles

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Off body carry is not a good idea, if there's ANY other way. A snatcher will grab a purse or bag first, so now you're not only defending your valuables, you're defending your handgun, AND your SD is tied up in the struggle for the bag.

However, ANY carry is better than none. Check out Janice at Concealment Specialties.Com
She has many models of holsters to fit many guns, and she can custom make just about anything you want. Tell her "Gerald" sent you.

A final word. Most concealed carry laws have a paragraph that reads something like, "The gun must be under your control at all times." Usually it can't be out of arm's reach. There's also a chance of you laying it down and forgetting it, or it getting snatched as I referenced in my first paragraph.

With the right holster and a little thought, you'd be surprised at how much gun you can conceal in how many places.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You carry a "man purse!?" :shock:
It's a European hand bag, they are quite fashionable.

You reminded me of one of the Progressive commercials.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It's a European hand bag, they are quite fashionable.

You reminded me of one of the Progressive commercials.
O wow. Now this is a proper man card removal. Hand it over!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I'd rather carry my wifes pink .22 than carry a man purse. :)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Even in sweatpants or basketball shorts I can smartcarry, conceal t-shirt, bellyband, to name a few. I don't use any of those...I pocket carry.

If the gun is on your person it is safest. It isn't going to go off if you have a good holster. Your kids will get into it if it is somewhere else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I always carry in a holster unless jogging then I will have a fannypack with built in holster to carry wallet, phone, badge etc. always prefer holster though. I would be afraid anything on my back not enough in my control and to hard to get to

1 - 17 of 17 Posts