Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't thought this through, so it's probably a dumb question...

In terms of securing the XDm when visitors are present around the house, can someone tutor me on the merits of the OEM cable lock provided with the gun vs. a standard (say Master Lock model 94) trigger lock?

I assume the slide can function when the trigger lock is on the gun, but it isn't clear to me that this matters ???

I recently tried the OEM cable lock with the gun and almost immediately noticed that it was scuffing off the black finish on the slide at the edges where the cable passed through the cartridge port. So I would prefer to use a standard trigger lock rather than the cable if this is an acceptable approach...

Make me smart (er... smarter ??)

CobraMan

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'd rather have the safe. If they're not supposed to be touching the gun...then they shouldn't get the chance to even try.

I would never use a trigger lock with the chamber loaded, either. And I think I'd also rather use a cable lock...you can actually use it for something else if you want.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I prefer the cable locks as there is no way for a round to be in the chamber. If you are concerned about it scratching your gun, it's a gun. Also, look for cable locks that have a rubber coating around the cable. Mine do, and it won't mar the weapon. If you can though, get a safe. I wouldn't lock up my weapon though just because guests are over. What if one of them goes crazy? Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Guys,

With all due respect, I didn't ask about safes. I appreciate the over-arching advice, but I asked about locks. I understand the safe issue. Different question.

Wired: good thoughts - anyone can go crazy these days :)

Now about the locks... so it seams the difference is that with the cable lock there's no way to chamber a round (provided a loaded magazine is in the gun) while one could chamber a round by operating the slide even with the trigger lock engaged ???

CobraMan

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Guys,

With all due respect, I didn't ask about safes. I appreciate the over-arching advice, but I asked about locks. I understand the safe issue. Different question.

Now about the locks... so it seams the difference is that with the cable lock there's no way to chamber a round (provided a loaded magazine is in the gun) while one could chamber a round by operating the slide even with the trigger lock engaged ???

CobraMan
Alrighty then.... I personally do not like cable locks. Even the coated ones will rub on the gun/mar the finish. They aren't any faster to get off the gun then a trigger lock, which at least the gun can still be loaded with it on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Considering the trigger locks go around the trigger, you could accidentally pull the trigger with the lock while removing it. That is probably what he meant.

I use the cable lock style myself. It ensures that not only do they have defeat the lock, but they have to locate a magazine, enter it, and release the slide. Not something a kid is going to be able to do quite easily.

As far as time goes... Well if youre around theres no need to have it locked. Lock it when you have to leave it unattended or the such. Most certainly you arent sleeping with it on your nightstand locked...

Also ensures that no one can disassemble the firearm while it is locked, whereas a trigger lock they can be free to rack the slide, disassemble, etc.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Considering the trigger locks go around the trigger, you could accidentally pull the trigger with the lock while removing it. That is probably what he meant.

I use the cable lock style myself. It ensures that not only do they have defeat the lock, but they have to locate a magazine, enter it, and release the slide. Not something a kid is going to be able to do quite easily.

As far as time goes... Well if youre around theres no need to have it locked. Lock it when you have to leave it unattended or the such. Most certainly you arent sleeping with it on your nightstand locked...

Also ensures that no one can disassemble the firearm while it is locked, whereas a trigger lock they can be free to rack the slide, disassemble, etc.
Good points.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know. But he doesn't seem to get that we are telling him that NEITHER type of lock is the BEST solution.
Guys, Give me a break. I GET IT. I'm saving for a safe now.

But an answer such as "Go get a safe" isn't very helpful and it isn't responsive to my OP (Thank you Fusion for your thought response :) )

From my experience, most gun owners DON'T have safes. Heck, most I know don't even have trigger locks.

To me, a safe is there to protect your investment and I guess to decrease the probability the criminal element will end up with your weapons.

A lock is there to protect the safety of those who should not be "engaging" with the weapon (and those around them.)

I think too many people confuse these issues. I believe available data demonstrates pretty clearly that a good lock is "safe enough" from the safety standpoint - though a lock + a safe is better than safe enough. A lot of "belt and suspenders" guys will go with a lock + a safe, but I'm not one of them.

Still would like to hear more opinions about the cable lock vs. trigger lock issue.

CobraMan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Guys, Give me a break. I GET IT.

But an answer such as "Go get a safe" isn't very helpful and it isn't responsive to my OP (Thank you Fusion for your thought response :) )

From my experience, most gun owners DON'T have safes. Heck, most I know don't even have trigger locks.

To me, a safe is there to protect your investment and I guess to decrease the probability the criminal element won't end up with your weapons.

A lock is there to protect the safety of those who should not be "engaging" with the weapon (and those around them.)

I think too many people confuse these issues. I believe available data demonstrates pretty clearly that a good lock is "safe enough" from the safety standpoint - though a lock + a safe is better than safe enough. A lot of "belt and suspenders" guys will go with a lock + a safe, but I'm not one of them.

Still would like to hear more opinions about the cable lock vs. trigger lock issue.

CobraMan
Lock the case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lock the case.
I thought of that, but I guess I didn't see that as sufficiently secure without some form of lock on the weapon.

You bring up a good point though.... If I'm only concerned about a toddler, than locking the case is sufficient. If I'm concerned about some curious 12 year olds, then it probably isn't. I guess the interesting question is, "exactly who is a trigger lock designed to protect?"???

CobraMan

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I've already said it...trigger locks seem useless to me. They give you a greater sense of security then you should have, and allow you to keep the gun loaded with the lock in place. I don't care how careful you are, an ND WILL happen with a trigger lock being taken on/off a loaded gun. May not be today, may not be in three years. It's just too great a risk.

Cable locks can be easily broken with bolt cutters. However they keep honest people out, do not allow the gun to be loaded, and are a more easily seen lock then the trigger guard. It's obvious to see that the gun is empty and locked.

Of course, you shouldn't keep the gun laying around or anything, either. The easiest way to keep unauthorized users from handling the gun is to never let them know it's there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Guys, Give me a break. I GET IT. I'm saving for a safe now.

To me, a safe is there to protect your investment and I guess to decrease the probability the criminal element will end up with your weapons.

CobraMan
It seems the best compromise is to use a cable lock. I don't like the idea because of potential harm to fit, finish and internals of the gun, but safety is the number one point of having a lock in the first place, right? I guess I will have to use the cable ones from here on out too. In CA, all guns sold are required to have a DOJ approved safety device with it, most manufacturers almost exclusively use cable locks with handguns and trigger locks with long guns, not sure about other states though.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I thought of that, but I guess I didn't see that as sufficiently secure without some form of lock on the weapon.

You bring up a good point though.... If I'm only concerned about a toddler, than locking the case is sufficient. If I'm concerned about some curious 12 year olds, then it probably isn't. I guess the interesting question is, "exactly who is a trigger lock designed to protect?"???

CobraMan
I'm not worried about having to defend myself with my XDM, especially since the cold rainy weather hasn't allowed me a chance to fire it yet. I still have my revolvers, which are unloaded and stashed when I'm not here.

When I'm not here, everything is hidden, and the magazines/speedloaders are hidden in a different and inaccessible place from the weapons. My magazines for my xdm are not in my xdm case.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you are worried about which to use, go by your sporting goods store and buy a small safe for $165. You can also look at the safes that are designed for a sinlge gun, that uses your hand print to be put on it, you can probably find one of those for a bit cheaper. I just checked the net, and you can get one of those with the hand print for $99. As for me, I have five guns and none of these have a single lock on them. If kids are going to be around, I always put the gun out of reach and where they will not know where they are. Kids should always be supervised and especially if guns are in the house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts