Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used many weapons in my 14yrs of military service and I always lubed the inside of my barrel not excessively just a light film putting a Lil on a bore snake or a patch. A person who o respect and in general has a lot more knowledge in the weapons area then me told me to wipe it dry. I just bought my first personal weapon a xd service .40 and want to take the best care of it so do I keep it dry or a Lil slick?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If the gun is going to be stored or not shot for a while, then a light oiling is fine. If you are looking for accuracy, and maybe this is more of a long gun issue, an oiled bore will normally shoot to a different point than a dry bore. I store my rifles off-season with a lightly oiled bore, but make sure I fire a "fouling" shot before serious target shooting or hunting. I do not know the affect of an oiled bore on a pistol, but guess it is less of an accuracy issue. Whether it is or not, only the first shot will be out of the lubed barrel - after that the bore will be dry. Depending on where you live and how you use the gun, it might well be a good thing to have a light coating of oil on the bore.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I'm with you, JSmoke, and do the military old school thing. Not so much worried about that first round, there are plenty more coming right behind it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I practice weekly so my carry guns get cleaned weekly. I wipe everything down with a used bore softie. That leaves a VERY light film on the parts. Plenty for a modern semi to function perfectly. These guys like to run dry and over-oiling can trap excess dirt and gunk, especially in the striker channel. Make sure that puppy is completely DRY.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
+1 on keeping the striker channel dry.

I always leave a coat of oil in the bore. Always.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :p

I would say that your both correct. A light coat of oil inside the barrel is fine. Your adviser would be correct also in "wipe it dry."

Wiping dry is not going to remove anymore fine oil without applying some kind of solvent to it. ;-)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Depends on what oil you use & how much, but a thin coating of thin oil will help prevent rust. If you shoot it often, clean it often, then leave the bore dry. I run an oiled patch, then dry patch about 5min later. The film of oil is enough to prevent rust in my climate here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts