Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, a Noob to the forum here and a noob to habitual pistol shooting. Other than that Here's the quick intro:

Ive been shooting long guns since I was about 4ish (bb's of course) and hunting since I was 13.

Im more than moderately competent as a long gun/shotgun shooter and I have been reloading for about 5 years now, just getting into BPCR reloading as well!

Anyway I just recently got my first pistol, an XD-40SC (I have shot many a pistol in my day, this one is the first that belongs to me :)

I have started by getting used to this pistol by using the short mag and WWB 160-gr fmj's a la wallyworld.

I have only fired about 600 rounds through this unit and it has jammed on me 4 times, however after poking around this forum I am going to double check that my thumb is not causing problems!

Finally cutting to the chase here I noticed that the spent cases coming out of the gun have very interesting firing pin impressions, the pin appears to drag down the face of the primer after it has buried itself into the primer, take a look for yourself I have 2 pics:

Image 1
Image 2

This is way more severe than anything I have ever seen in books or online so it has me a little worried. The first one that came with the gun is printed identically. Has anyone seen this in their XD's? It's like the pin does not retract fast enough. Should I send it back to SA..?

Also my XD-40SC's slide release is damn near impossible to flip down releasing the locked slide, at first I thought it was me, but then I gave it to a few other club members to try out and they all agree it's pretty brutal, not sure if it is going to loosen up. Any SC owners experiencing this?

My Dad has a XD-9 service model bi-tone and the slide release is nice and easy to release under tension.

Sorry for the long post, I know that's no way to make friends haha.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I looked at some of my shells. They are not as deep looking as your pics.try different brand of ammo.i have shot 1100 plus already maybe 2 and i am reloading the ammo.they were just bad primers.as for the other have a gun smith look at it.the guns are warranted

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe the striker dampening spring is missing or weak? It's the spring that pushes the striker back after hitting the primer.

My other guess is that the sear engagement on the striker is hanging up on the striker safety and keeping the striker forward.

These are just my guesses- I'm neither a gunsmith nor a lawyer, so take it at face value :D Good luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks just like the primers do on my sc40. I've also got a slide release that's a s.o.b. to operate. It's a fairly new pistol though so I chalked up the release to needing some break in range time. The primer marking does look like a weak striker return spring to me. I've chambered rounds, then extracted them as forcefully by hand as I could without firing them to find no primer dents of any kind. Someone else may have a better handle on this than I, hopefully it's a simple fix, if necessary.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It's called "primer smear" and is ALMOST universal amongst semi auto centerfire pistols. My XDs do it as do all of my Sigs, HK, Bersa etc. Yours might be a bit worse but I wouldn't worry. It happens because the striker pin is still engaging the primer as the barrel tilts down.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My 40sc does the exact same thing. I am around 800 rnds with no jams to date. I too looked at the test fire shell which also had the same impression.

·
Registered
368 Posts
subscribe

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It's called "primer smear" and is ALMOST universal amongst semi auto centerfire pistols. My XDs do it as do all of my Sigs, HK, Bersa etc. Yours might be a bit worse but I wouldn't worry. It happens because the striker pin is still engaging the primer as the barrel tilts down.
well it does it on all the semi autos that dont have a fixed barrel. my buddies sig was really bad at this, sometimes the firing pin would smear so bad it would leave a mark on the brass also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

As for the oiling and hoping it goes away... I use Rem Oil every time I clean the gun, which is every time I am done using it or have handled it. After much cleaning and re-oiling it's not any easier.

Otherwise a really cool pistol!

I think I am going to at least contact SA and see what they think I should do.

I'll post what they say in this thread. May take a day or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was sick the past few days, bad enough to lose my voice so I couldnt call SA but, I made an attempt today... There must be a whole lot of people calling them up today, I got into a call queue and waited on hold for 1.5 hrs and hung up. Tried again later and was told that all circuits were busy, try again later ha!

Guess I'll have to try this again on a normal working day at lunch and hope it doesnt take more than an hour!

·
Registered
186 Posts
The primer smear is normal. As I understand it, the .40S&W exhibits this problem to a greater degree than other rounds, which might be why it appears so severe in comparison to other calibers. The case is being forced back *explosively* against the striker, the barrel is unlocking/tilting, and the striker is still scraping against the primer as it tilts with the barrel. Thus, smearing on the primer. My Sigs do it with 45CAP, .40S&W and .357Sig rounds.

Put a tiny dab of slide glide, PTFE Marine grease, or similar on the contact points between the slide lock lever and the slide. It *will* eventually break in (polish/wear) on its own, but the grease will help in the interim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair enough, I was just concerned of possible firing pin damage or a pierced primer, nasty business!

I am going to check out that slide glide, thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts