Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i shot my XDm 45 for the first time this weekend. thoroughly enjoyed it. i did notice something i haven't seen before. after i ran the first magazine through the gun i noticed on the front left side there was a patch of what appeared to be gun powder (light brown or sand color) about a dime in size an inch back from the front of the gun.

is this normal?

i am really sorry i wish i had taken a picture. the gun shot great but i thought it was an odd place for this to show up. after cleaning the gun it all went away.

i should be back at the range tomorrow or the following day and i will take a picture then.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Tough to tell without a picture, but probably totally normal.

OH,
And I'll forgive you for calling a magazine a clip ;)

Welcome to the forum !!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have the same thing on my xdm 3.8c .40.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After I shoot about 50 or so rounds I have a noticeable coating of powder on the front most lower portion of the frame. The part with the serrations for aftermarket components, ie, lasers and flashlights.

Maybe that is what you are seeing?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah if you ever get a laser, put clear tape or something over the lens, cuz its hard to get gun grime off them after a good day at the range. :D

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Powder residue is normal and can stick to just about anywhere on the pistol. Externally it usually starts accumulating first around the muzzle or ejection port areas, those being closest to the source. But just a slight bit more oil or a fingerprint on the surface can start sticking junk there first. Anything from fine dust to powder particle size. Cleans off. Can be more/less or different size/color with different ammo brands.

·
21,869 Posts
Man that is a dirty gun!!!!

Does it come off when you clean it?

·
21,869 Posts
this is RIGHT after shooting and it looks greasy because i wiped it real quick and its still wet
Do you holster it between shootings while at the range?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah crap i figured it out!!!

so the gun sits like this in the holster, with this part exposed:

and i was wearing this:

the copper wore off on the gun when i was walking around! any fix?

·
21,869 Posts
Your welcome!

·
21,869 Posts
I would rub it down with an old shirt and some CLP. You dont want to damage the finish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a lot of it came off but some of it is still there

hah, you made me feel bad so i just stripped the whole thing down and cleaned everything

hopefully next time i shoot it i could get it hot enough to wipe off ... i dunno

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Did the same to mine. Hoppes pulled it off. However I do have a mark under left of barrel that my kershaw put on it. Got other scratches too. I like the look of a worn pistol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts