Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my WASR 10 project I picked this up brand new with side folding stock and two 30 round mags for $450. It is not fully done but it is close. It is hard to make out in the pictures but I stained the wood fore grip to match the green in the gun. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks cool! Congrats! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks nicely done, but I'd definitely make a few changes.

If you use the rifle for anything beyond bench rested shooting I'd eventually work on replacing the Tapco folder. I've seen two of these break before...and trust them about as far as I can throw them.

You have a lot of random rail stuff going on. If you're running a simple red dot - you could replace all of that stuff with a simple forearm rail set, like the one from Midwest industries. It'll save you weight, space, and all of that bare rail which doesn't do you any good.

If you really feel the need to run a laser with a red-dot, and a flashlight etc...you can lock it all in right here without having to drill, add on side-mounts etc. Remember an RDS doesn't need any eye-relief. You can use one just as quickly if its mounted up front.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still working on a tactical light set up on the forearm and getting some rail covers. Problem with getting the aluminum rail forearm is that I kinda like the wood up front. I am getting a Tapco T6 adjustable stock sometime soon. That is just how the rifle came brand new in the box, so I left it on there for now. Also back the rails. I only spent $8 to have both rails up front, plus the side scope mount rails. Don't really see a need to spend $50 to $100 for a railed forearm at this point. I would rather have that cash dumped into another project....but to each his own.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No problem, my suggestions were with the assumption you'll be using this as a defensive rifle, or will be running classes with it. If you're not, no need to invest in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks pretty good. Alot better than I thought it would when I saw OD green AK. The green slant brake pulls it together nicely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
very nice work!

which scope mount are you using, and which red dot is that? i've been looking in to a setup like that one.

are you happy with your optics setup?

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you like the wood handguard, you can stick with the wood and paint it to match. Here's my WASR10 completely stock just painted OD. I love the OD look as well, but also love the authentic wood. It's a bit heavy with the laser, light, and red dot, but I dig it. Nice work, btw.

EDIT: not sure why the pic turned up so small.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nope, the irons will cowitness in the bottom 1/3rd of the Aimpoint's glass, which is preferred.

But, when using the Aimpoint you'll never see the irons unless you neck down on it, and intentionally go to irons (if your dot fails or something).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nope, the irons will cowitness in the bottom 1/3rd of the Aimpoint's glass, which is preferred.

But, when using the Aimpoint you'll never see the irons unless you neck down on it, and intentionally go to irons (if your dot fails or something).
Nice. I'll have to try that. Hated giving up my irons, but I had a scope on mine before the red dot so I had to remove. Maybe I'll try putting it back on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
very nice work!

which scope mount are you using, and which red dot is that? i've been looking in to a setup like that one.

are you happy with your optics setup?

It is UTG AK side scope mount. There are a few different styles now. They even have one that is quick detach. Scope is a Tasco red dot scope (got it for $32you at wally world). Works good for what I need it for. Seem pretty balanced overall. Rails on the forearm are polymer rails made for a Tippmann 98 paintball gun. Very sturdy rails. Seem almost like they aluminum ones do in quality.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice. I'll have to try that. Hated giving up my irons, but I had a scope on mine before the red dot so I had to remove. Maybe I'll try putting it back on.
Yeah, I operate on a very simple set of rules for rifles if you're running irons/optics together.

BEST: Cowitness, and a quick-detach mount.

GOOD: Cowitness, OR a quick-detach mount.

WORST: No Cowitness, no quick-detach mount.

If your optic ever goes down, you better be able to see your irons through your optic, OR ditch that optic pronto, and go back to iron sights. Most of us don't carry screw-drivers or allen keys around to remove stuff if it breaks in the middle of a gunfight :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Upgraded my build a little bit. Found the railed forearm on ebay for $36!

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Great looking! I need one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts