Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted last week my noob post but it got wiped out by [email protected] @ttack kiddie shortyly after I posted. Anyway, I am fairly new to this forum, I have lurked for a couple of weeks and was prompted to post a howdy doodie after I registered. Anyway, I just bought my first pistol a week ago and it is an XD-9 Service. So for my range report: First day I shot both WWB and Magtech 100 rounds total. I had two FTE's/FTF's which made me a little dissapointed. Two days later I shot another 100 WWB and had one FTE/FTF, so while I believe that this is a great pistol, I am little frusterated with the failures. Also, I am going to have to have a better success rate before I feel tihs gun will be able to save my life should the need arise..

Note: I don't mean to be negative or trash the XD, I am just relaying the facts as I witnessed them. If anybody has suggestions to fix my problem, I am all ears. Thank you.

-Jeremy

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
You may want to try a different ammo, some have had trouble with wwb.
use cci blazer aluminum or brass for practice ammo. or use federal american eagle. the xd's seem to lik ethese two brands. in fact...wow i just realized ive never had a jam or fte since i stopped using wwb and switched to the above combo.

oh..take that back i do remeber 1 last fte with a american eagle round....that was about 6 months ago. not 1 single error since then. although ive been using blazer/speer goldots exclusively.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Today I just fired my XD9sub for the first time.....using WWB..I went through 200 rounds and never had a failure of any kind. Also shot through 20 round sof hydra shok also without any problems...

when I originally shot my XD40 I had a couple of FTE/FTF but after about the first 500 rounds everything started working great...no problems since..I did find that it was limp wristing causing my original problems and not the ammo.

Rikoshey :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have shot wwb, blazer aluminum, mag tech, and now I shoot Wolf mostly. I have never had one problem with any of them. I actually am a pretty big fan of the wolf copper jacket. It shoots fine and is fairly cheap.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had a few failures-to-feed and one or two failures-to-extract, mostly with WWB and a couple with Remington UMC. It seems like time and number of rounds down range has cured the ills. Although I now use CCI Blazer most of the time (it's cheap and not as dirty as WWB), once I got beyond 500 or so rounds things seemed to smooth out. I haven't had an FTF or FTE in over 200 rounds. Knock on wood. :mrgreen:

Although some have had to resort to polishing the feed ramp area and "smoothing" any edges, I would wait a while to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Maybe I just got lucky.. but I have shot WWB, PMC, Remington, and Federal rounds... I am up to about a 1,000+ so far, and never had a single problem. Not one.

I am not bragging, I am just stating a fact. At the safety class I took, they suggested putting at least 600 rounds through the weapon, and that if it failed even once, then it needed to be sent back to the manufacturer. I took them at there word, and SA will not be getting my pistol anytime soon.

Perhaps there is some minor correction that can be made to make your gun feed it's ammo' without problems. I dunno'. It seems as if the people who are having problems are generally the .40 owners. My 9mm has never even burped.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I hate to ask this but, is this you're first gun. The only FTE I had was in the first 50 rounds and it was from limp wristing. I shoot WWB a lot. I rarely if ever have FTEs from them. Come to think of it I had two FTFs from WWB but they were bad primers or something. . . Try some different ammo for the first 200 or so rounds. Most likely it will smooth out in time. . . is you recoil rod and spring in good condition (no obvious wear). Is it throwing the brass really far or really close to you?

Krackels

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While this is my first pistol purchase I own and have shot several other pistols including a Beretta 92FS, Glock 17, Ruger Mark II and a S&W .357. I am not sure what you mean by "limp wristing", but I do feel I have a pretty good grip on the gun. The FTF/FTE occured while shooting with both hands in both the isosceles(sic) and weaver position (I though maybe my thumb was hitting the slide so I changed grip). I am not real accurate or have a lot of experience shooting, but at 50 feet I can keep all my rounds on the paper with the majority of them in a 10" diameter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
RIKOSHEY said:
when I originally shot my XD40 I had a couple of FTE/FTF but after about the first 500 rounds everything started working great...no problems since
new weapons have a break in period.

you cant expect reliability you want to stake your life on until at least 300 rounds...but 500-1000 is best

·
Registered
29 Posts
im just under the 3000 mark and i still get ftf about 1 out of 50 on wwb 180gr. about 1000 of that was with 165gr. and no problems. and not a problem 1 of any kind with any other brand or gr.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My XD-40 had several ftf with wwb and reloads during my first 300 rounds. I polished the feed ramp, chamber, and breach and haven't had any since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have fired over 1000 rounds in 40 with wwb, and blazers, and no FTE FTF. I stake my life that my xd40 will fire. I have heard of problems, but Mine has been flawless. Hope everything works out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts