Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to reloading and from what I understand the longer the better as long as you don't get in the rifling for pressure reasons. So does anyone know the Mac OAL in a 5.25 xdm 9mm ?

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
What type of bullet is it other than just a 125 gr. RN? The best way to establish the correct OACL is with your barrel/chamber. It's fairly simple for .355" jacketed bullets. Enter a bullet into a FIRED case, no powder, with spent primer in place. Drop the "dummy" into the chamber of your barrel removed from the pistol, then push on the case-rim until it stops moving forward in the chamber. The rifling will seat the bullet and this is the MAX. Possible OACL. Repeat 4 times to ensure you get the same OACL of your "dummies" with each test. The when you handload, make your loads .005 - .010" shorter than the MAX possible, or just drop down to the next lowest .5mm.

With cast or poly-coated, start with an overyly long length like 1.170" by making a "dummy" with an uncrimped round and perform the "plunk" test, dropping the "dummy" into the chamber with the barrel removed, muzzle pointed at the floor. Shorten the "dummy" in .010" increments with your press until the case-rim starts getting flush with the barrel's hood. At that point, shorten in .005" increments until the "dummy" passes the "plunk" test. The case-rim should be flush with the hood or just barely below it. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
As always, oal is gun & bullet specific, always.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like Fred said and 57K outlines, you must go through the steps to determine the OAL with any particular bullet in ANY particular gun. They are not all the same even if the same model from the same manufacturer. Plus you must make sure that the max OAL you select will also fit into the magazine ALL the way down to the BOTTOM so it doesn't cause a hangup when coming up in the magazine.

Incidentally, though finding the max OAL for a particular bullet in your gun is essential, actually using the very longest OAL possible with that bullet is not always the best way to go as far as accuracy or feeding. Accuracy will usually vary some depending on the powder used and at what level, and few books will list the actual OAL you wind up using so powder load will always have to be adjusted to the varied OAL depending on just what you are trying to accomplish velocity wise or accuracy wise.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Ya that's why I included the gun and billet info... I did typo though I meant 115gr Rn. , plated berrys
No you miss the point. There are maybe 12+ diff 124-125gr RN designs, that many 115gr, plated, lead, jacketed, all with slightly diff shapes. Throw in all bbls being slightly diff depending on which lot you get, again, oal is gun & bullet specific, always. What works for my gun may be just too long for yours.
So you have to establish the correct oal for your gun with your bullet. Make a dummy rd, loaded to a longish 1.160". Remove the bbl, drop the rd on. If it fits, try it in the mag, all the way down. If it fits, that is the oal for your gun, that bullet. If not, seat 0.01" deeper & try again. This has to be done for every new bullet shape you reload. Keep records, it's important & saves time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts