Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been skeet shooting a couple times and want to get my own gun for it. I'm going to be a casual shooter, maybe 1-2 times per month.

I used a friend's CZ when I went but I know nothing about the guns. Can anyone recommend some makes and models I could look at? I want to spend $500-$1000 and am open to a used gun. I know I want 12ga. and choke tubes so I can try sporting clays some time and hunt birds with it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
While I am a Browning snob when it comes to skeet/sporting clays, I recently had the chance to shoot 100 rounds of skeet with a new member's Winchester Supreme Sporting. While the shotgun isn't going to win any beauty contests when stacked up to a Browning, Beretta, etc., it shot extremely well, pointed great and was what I would consider an excellent entry level o/u.

The new member at our range paid $900 for it new in the box off of GunBroker. It was the Winchester Supreme Sporting model. It had 28" barrels that were ported & backbored with Invector Plus chokes. Of course it was a 12 gauge with 2-3/4" chambers. As I understood from him, he almost bought a 30" barreled model, but got a better deal on the 28"...do the 30" model is an option if you prefer the longer barrels for sporting clays.

Here is one I punched up on GB quickly:

Winchester Supreme Sporting 12ga : Over Under at GunBroker.com

If you want to save your pennies, I can't recommend the Browning Cynergy Sporting Clays model highly enough, but you are looking at a shotgun roughly twice your current budget:

Browning Cynergy Sporting Walnut 30inch : Over Under at GunBroker.com

I have a Cynergy Snythetic Sporting Clays model with the synthetic stocks and 30" barrels and use it for skeet, trap and sporting clays. It is one of the finest shotguns I have ever or will ever own and is worth the money.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I want to spend $500-$1000 and am open to a used gun. I know I want 12ga. and choke tubes so I can try sporting clays some time and hunt birds with it.
If i were to only ignore the fact that you were looking for an O/U gun... i'd say you described a Rem 870 Wingmaster with those two sentences.

$500-1000 will get you a NIB 870 wingmaster, plus a 26" sporting barrel, and probably a selection of chokes + accessories and who knows what else if you go the used market route.

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12GA, 30 Inch, Rem Chokes for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $786.00

The only reason i suggest this is the 870 is probably THE most versatile shotgun today when it comes to accessories and add-ons. Its also one of the most dependable shotguns on the market.

O/Us are nice guns but if you want versatility look to a 870 pump.

Plus you have to admit.. that is a beautiful gun.

just my $0.02 USD.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to shoot 2 clays with a pump gun ;) Fine for trap but wouldn't really work for skeet.

Thanks for the info ORD. I'll do some reading about the winchester guns. The Cynergy is a little out of my price range unless I found a used one.

I found a used Franchi at the gun show that really caught my eye but I had no idea if it was a deal or even if it was a good gun. I found out later that it was a great deal at $999 in great condition. Know anything about Franchi O/Us? I know their autos are pretty nice.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I found a used Franchi at the gun show that really caught my eye but I had no idea if it was a deal or even if it was a good gun. I found out later that it was a great deal at $999 in great condition. Know anything about Franchi O/Us? I know their autos are pretty nice.
The Franchi's are nice shotguns...I have a 20ga Franchi autoloader that is a sweet little shotgun, but I have not had the chance to use one of their O/U's. They look well-made and I am sure they hold up to the Franchi name, but I couldn't tell you from personal experience.

As for getting a used Cynergy, I wouldn't hold my breath. Like most Browning O/U's, these things hold their resale value like crazy. Even used ones in fair to good condition seem to be commanding a fairly high price these days. You can always get a good starter shotgun and once you have shot your first perfect round on the Skeet range, reward yourself with a nice Browning or Beretta (just don't look at the Perazzi's...stay away from the light...don't go toward the light!!!). ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts

The Ruger Red Labels are nice.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's hard to shoot 2 clays with a pump gun ;) Fine for trap but wouldn't really work for skeet.
Pump guns work just fine for skeet. Yes you have to work a bit harder, but they do work. They are all I generally shoot in skeet.

Had a buddy of mine that was missing a few with his nice Browning double. I had my Mosberg 500 with the heavy wall 18.5" barrel and an IC choke in it. We swapped guns after station 2. He only missed 1 target for the rest of the round. Now he's going to set himself up with one to see if he can win some money with it on bets.

I had a 12 year old kid on the range a week ago, only 2nd time he'd ever shot a shotgun. First time was a 12 ga semi auto at Scout camp earlier this summer. He could barely lift it.

He wanted to work on his Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge. I put him on Station 7 to shoot some straight away targets. Handed him my sons 20 ga Mossberg 500 Bantam. Had him busting clays like crazy in short order. After he shot enough to qualify he took a little break. My son and I started shooting some doubles from station 7. I handed him the gun back and a couple of shells and pressed the button when he called. He smoked both of them. He continued to shoot off the rest of a box of shells shooting doubles from station 7. I'd say somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4's of the doubles he broke both of them.

I looked over at his dad and said he better go buy him a shotgun.

If I were buying a new skeet gun I'd skip the double and get a nice gas operated semi auto. They soak up more recoil.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts

If I were buying a new skeet gun I'd skip the double and get a nice gas operated semi auto. They soak up more recoil.
I agree! I bought a Beretta AL391 Urika II. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I will be getting a over/under sometime next year, and more than likely it will be a Beretta SV10 Perennia... My bro-in-law's dad has one and it's beautiful...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree! I bought a Beretta AL391 Urika II. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I will be getting a over/under sometime next year, and more than likely it will be a Beretta SV10 Perennia... My bro-in-law's dad has one and it's beautiful...
Either the Winchester supreme, Had one for the last 5 years and love it or a Beretta auto 390, 391. I would avoid Benelli's for this game as the recoil adds up at the end of the day, They actually kick way worse than a O/U.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pump guns work just fine for skeet. Yes you have to work a bit harder, but they do work. They are all I generally shoot in skeet.
I don't disagree. I just don't need to make it MORE challenging. Let's just say the last time I went I might have been better off throwing the damn gun at the clays :p

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I had an Ithaca O/U, couldn't hit a passing bus with it. I like my Beretta Extrema. It works just fine for sporting clays or skeet, comes with choke tubes, is parkerized with a synthetic stock and makes a fine hunting weapon as well. I can hold my own with average shooters at most clays ranges and have a great time. It comes in wood too for a little more. I gave $900 OTD for mine.
Don't pass up the Stoeger either. It uses the Benellli action, and is a smooth shooter. Just beware with the Benelli or the Stoeger, if you don't hold it real tight to your shoulder it will jam since it is inertia driven, not gas operated. I bought three of them as gifts last year for $379 ea. That's a great gun for the money.
I've had Brownings and was raised shooting an 870 wingmaster, and though a fine weapon or canoe paddle, it would not be my 1st choice, but to be honest, if you told me I could only ever have one shotgun, it would be the 870 ( an old one ).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts