Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well being as I only had my hand gun for a few months I saw a local club was having a NRA Basic Pistol Course, so I figured for $30 what could it hurt plus you could bring your own pistol to shoot. It was the best $30 bucks I ever spent. While many of the things they said in the classroom session where things I already knew there where one or two tidbits I picked up or had not thought of, just some pointers that only come with age and experience. After 4 hours of class room and a test—got a perfect score. We headed to the range started with the .22 guns which was nice as we started with wheel guns, never once fired a wheel gun so it was a learning experience. Each of us had a private instructor for this part of the class so it was nice really a great learning experience. Then we moved to Semi-auto’s 22, and then onto more items, you could shoot your own or the instructors where letting people shoot their toys as well. My instructor was a great guy and had about 15 guns in his case I shot so many different calibers my head was spinning. After shooting a few wheel guns have a new found respect for those, I am thinking of picking up one, the range officer gave me some good pointers and I was doing better with some of those then my own XD--lol Also having never shoot a .22 before I was amazed I think I have shoot air pistols with more kick again got my mind going thinking need to get a 22 as a nice plinker. After having some fun shooting a few 1911’s got to get one of those too—lol. Finally pulled out my XD, this is the first time I had a chance to shoot it since installing a dons rod and 22# spring as a well as a hogue grip. While being new to hand gun shooting I can’t comment on felt recoil as it always feels like a lot and I am fighting with recoil anticipation pushing the gun down, I can say I could bring my sight picture back much quicker, and the grip made a much easier control, especially when doing rapid fire. What I can say is for a lil more then the price of a HI-cap mag defiantly improved my feel and action of the XD. Did not have one problem, and had a few comments on the xd from instructors including my instructor wanting to shoot it. All in all it was a great day and got to check out a local clubs shooting range that I have been dying to get into. So for any new shooters I would highly recommend this class you can look up whats offered in your area on NRA website.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I instruct this course (among others) in the Southwest Florida area. If anyone is interested, let me know. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like a cool deal, I'll have to check and see if there's anything going on around here like that. I'm in love with my new hogue grip myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts