Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 7 months ago, I turned my Para Ordnance 14.15 LDA over to a gunsmith for some work. He was going to cut doevetails for sights, install combat sights, checker the front strap, fit the main spring housing, flatten the top of the slide, serrate the top fo the slide, melt the slide a little, and then refinish the whole thing in hard chrome before installing the Nill grips I sent with it. He just e-mailed me last night telling me he was almost done with my gun. I pretty much had forgotten about it. Now I can't wait to see it. Here is the before:

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Wow. 7 months?!? I would go crazy waiting for my pistol after that length of time. Well more power to you! Pix when it is back!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I jumped the gun with this post. But this gun "changes" everyrthing! LOL - forgot about it and had plans to put a Sig Sauer P220 Equinox on lay-away as a presnt to myself. But now I won't need to as this pistol fills the nitch I intended to fill with the P220, and is costong about the same (actually, its costing me considerably more). If anybody feels like it, do a search for" 1911" from my userr name and check out the post with my Nill grips. They are beautiful! I'd link or post the photos here, but I am Blackberry-ing it tonight.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Aye, wish I had some spare change for a nice wheel gun myself. Than a 1911 in 10mm, right now I am just saving up for the gun show in December and when I get there I will have my CCW and can purchase without a pistol permit/or limits. Yeay!

·
Registered
370 Posts
How much did all those mods run you? The 14.45 LDA is not a super expensive gun to begin with. Seems like you could have applied those costs on a trade in and gotten something brand new that was a little closer to what you wanted.

Unless you've already got some cash invested in this one.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
That's a nice gun. But it should not be in the 1911 forum IMHO as it's a bastard stepchild of a 1911.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am paying $1170 for all of the work, on top of the $450 I payed for the gun, and $150 for the grips, $30 for a flat mainspring housing, and $10 for the mag catch, $10 for the stainless hex head grip screws. I am paying way to much.

Oh yeah, here is the complete list of what is going to be done to her:
> Here is what I am looking to have done to my Para 14.45 LDA:
>
> -Flatten and serrate top of slide $125
>
> -Machine dovetails and install sites $260
>
> -Machine matching cocking serrations at the front of the slide $100
>
> -Serrate rear of slide $60
>
> -Dehorn slide for carry $50
>
> -Fit and tweak for function existing beavertail grip safety $30
>
> -Reduce width of thumb safety slightly for comfortable carry $25
>
> -Flatten the "dome" on the end of the pin on the slide catch/take down pin to
> flush with frame. $50 (this also includes machining a matching recess in the hole on the right side of the frame)
>
> -Hard chrome refinish or equivalent in satin/flat $220
Checker the front strap @ 20LPI $250
For sights, I recommend the Yost-Bonitz Professional or the 10-8 Performance. Both give a great sight picture and allow one-handed malfunction drills utilizing the rear sight.

Total for all of that comes to $1170, so I guess you were right on the price!

The reason I am doing all of this, is because I wanted a 1911 of off-duty carry. My agency will not sanction carrying single-action guns though. This is the only way I could carry a 1911 off-duty.

As far as the LDA 1911s not being real 1911s; I used to feel the same way. When I tried out the single-stack the Sgt. over our range has in his desk drawer, I thought it was a nice gun, that looked like a 1911. A budy offerred me the one pictured above for $450, and I figured it would be a fun gun to play with. After taking it apart and going through the guts, I was suprised how much of it is exactly the same as a 1911. In my opinion, its close enough to count. JMO though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The reason I am doing all of this, is because I wanted a 1911 of off-duty carry. My agency will not sanction carrying single-action guns though. This is the only way I could carry a 1911 off-duty.
Gotcha... I knew there had to be some reason, because I knew all that work wasn't going to be cheap.

At that point though, I still would have considered letting my love of 1911 take a backseat to the fact that I could have bought some nice hardware with the $1200 (meaning - carry something else). :)

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
...forgot about it and had plans to put a Sig Sauer P220 Equinox on lay-away as a presnt to myself. But now I won't need to as this pistol fills the nitch I intended to fill with the P220...
How do you forget about owning a gun and have to find one to 'fill the niche'? Isn't that like forgetting you have a kid(if you do)?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, its more like; at that moment, after not seeing your kid for 7 to 8 months, forgetting your kid's birthday is on a certain day, and making vacation plans that over lap with the kid's birthday. :D

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha... I knew there had to be some reason, because I knew all that work wasn't going to be cheap.

At that point though, I still would have considered letting my love of 1911 take a backseat to the fact that I could have bought some nice hardware with the $1200 (meaning - carry something else). :)

Well, I only told you the surface of it.
When I qualify with my GLOCK (that I love), I ussually qualify low 90%. My GLOCK patterns like a shotgun at 25 yards. When I firts got this LDA, I fired a magazine through her at 25 yards, and all of the shots were in the heart and lungs. Its just a damn good shooter!

plus now it will be my own custom gun.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Now you've got ME anxious to see it! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts