Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my XDm .45acp for a couple years now, and while I love the firearm, I realized why everyone complains about how bad the stock trigger is on the gun. I REALLY love my XDm. I am accurate as hell with it. But after recently buying an M&P Shield 9mm, I have realized that the break on my XDm absolutely sucks in comparison to it. I am shocked by the difference between the triggers. I have raved about my XDm, by comparison, to the other polymer striker-fired pistols I have fired, but damn....The Shield's stock trigger is frighteningly awesome next to my XDm. Why can't SA have a stock trigger with such a positive break and reset? Now I am thinking about getting an aftermarket trigger....The addiction grows deeper. :evil:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, most guys on here have forgotten more than I know. But, I'll tell you there is hope.

I have an xdm 40. My oldest SA pistol. As such it has lots of rounds run through it. I have no idea how many! Its trigger has evolved into being very good. How do I know? Cause I have an XDs and an XDm 5.25 Competition.

I'm actually a good shot with the 40. Unfortunately, I'm a bad shot with the .45 and XDs 9mm. Trigger is everything!!! I keep burning rounds through the other two. I'll say, they just don't seem to be loosening up and smoothing out.

Someday. I hope. Can't tell you the magic number.

·
Banned
0 Posts
PRP all the way!
This is a must, but it does add $100+ to your purchase. It really improved my XDm, however I can get a much better trigger in my glock for $.25

·
Registered
179 Posts
PRP all the way!
I put PRP Ultimate Match triggers in both my 4.5" 9mm and my 5.25" 9mm. Quite expensive, but worth every penny. Smooth as silk, with short pre-travel, crisp break, very short over-travel, and short reset. Both are now tack drivers! :) Bp

·
Registered
18 Posts
You also have the opportunity to disassemble your stock trigger, polish and sharpen the sear with some 400 grit, 800 grit and 1500 grit wet dry paper and it will help quite a bit. Just follow the same disasembly and assembly video instructions you can find on the PRP website. Once you experience the short travel and reset of the PRP though, you will be hooked.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
however I can get a much better trigger in my glock for $.25
You can polish stock parts on the XDm as well. What you get with a .25 cent Glock trigger job is a smoother feel and slightly reduced pull weight. Geometry is the same as is take-up and any over-travel. The real improvement on my G19 trigger did not come until replacing the OEM connector and springs. I think a better comparison for the PRP would be a Glockworx or Zev Fulcrum. Price is not such a discriminator when looking apples to apples.

Trigger feel is subjective for most. My issue with triggers comes from consistency of feel more than characteristics. My XDm .45 home defense gun had one feel, my M&P with Apex FSS had different feel, my G19 another feel, my Walther another feel and my XDs carry gun, it's own feel. Hard to go back and forth without and adjustment period.

What I've done is replace my G19 with a XDm 3.8 compact and my M&P with a XDm 4.5. Now that all my triggers, minus the XDs, are the same, I can pick any one of the guns up and get a very familiar feeling, and be successful with them because of the consistency built up in dry fire training.

FWIW, when I do tweak the triggers on my growing XDm collection, I will go with Springer Precision.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have both a Shield and an XDM 45 3.8. I find the trigger much better on the XDM

Shrug...ask 100 people and all you'll get is an opinion. There is no right answer to which has a better trigger

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a trigger job on my XD right after I got it and now have no complaints. But this is NOT a project for the weekend warrior and it helps to have spare parts on hand. Back when i did mine spare parts were impossible to get so it took several take aparts and a couple range sessions to get it just right. I haven't shot an M yet so I will have to try one and see just how bad it really is.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a trigger job on my XD right after I got it and now have no complaints. But this is NOT a project for the weekend warrior and it helps to have spare parts on hand. Back when i did mine spare parts were impossible to get so it took several take aparts and a couple range sessions to get it just right. I haven't shot an M yet so I will have to try one and see just how bad it really is.
I thought it was awesome, until I felt the 9mm Shield trigger...It's crap by comparison....better than my brother's stock Gen3 G19, but still crap :evil:....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did the PRP drop-in kit for my XDM 9mm. I've never done any type of install nothing on my guns prior to. I'm still a noob to guns, but it was very easy to do. I watched the video about a hundred times and followed along when installing it. Best investment for that gun IMO. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I don't think the trigger in the XDM is all that bad. It's not the best but better than some others IMO. I do prefer the trigger in my XDs and wish the XDM trigger was same. Thinking about the PRP though, a good trigger is always a plus. My Zev Tech modded G19 has the Fulcrum duty trigger in it and what a mess it makes the stock Glock trigger feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting read for a newbie like me. Having come from shooting rifles, I've always struggled with my XD-40 and G23 triggers. Good to know there are some options out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently I rented a Glock 30 and a XDM 45. I actually shot the XMD much better and I really think it was the trigger that I liked better.
I'm a Glock guy and really wanted to buy another one but I shot the XDM much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts