Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I wanted a PSA premium upper with the FN 1:7 barrel without the BCG married to a Spikes lower. I planned on a NiB bcg rated full auto with a multi caliber lower. Never having used a red dot before I was concerned with my ability to quickly aim a 1 MOA red dot in a stressful situation. So I was going to get a Vortex Spitfire DRT. I wanted the Diamondback integrated nite bright site system. I also wanted the Diamondback VRS rail sysem. All told it was going to run around $1,300. Well, there is this little problem called a wife.

Now I am settling for a Core 15 from Buds Gun Shop STA M3T 16 5.56 BLK 1-30RD $879.00 SHIPS FREE
which has the Diamond back sight system as well as the VRS rail system. Unfortunately it is a 1:9 twist on the barrel. What I plan on doing over time is upgrading the barrel to a 1:7 and the bcg to full auto in NiB.

I plan on going to the local BassPro as well as a local large gunstore to look through some red dot sights. If I feel confident I will purchase an eotech 512. Does the 512 have a quick release system?

I also plan on getting a Yankee Hill quick detach sound suppressor as well as the flash suppressor required for the QD suppressor. I am not going to get the cheap PMAGS but get some better onesl

After being handicapped by a clumsy neurosurgeon removing to ruptured disks in my neck I have recovered enough to start looking for work. For the Christians out there I request your prayers. For the atheists cross your fingers. If I can secure a decent paying position I can finally afford to get a divorce. Sad but necessary. I do not expect to be happy, just less unhappy. If I continue to improve ai hope to take up fly fishing againl

If anyone has recommendations on sling equipment please let me know. I have fnally settled on Federal Fusion 62 grain for self defense ammo. If you have any recommendations, please share.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Pmags or troys are awesome

Blue force gear vcas sling.

If you haven't bought yet hold off. We can do better with this budget. I sent you my phone number call me I'll talk you through it

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Prayers sent, droopy.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Best of luck sir...you could have picked a worse starter *cough ATI cough* Might not have all the bells n whistles, but itll get the job done..,

Have you handled a rifle with an EOtech? I don't care for them personally--they are quality but just too dern heavy for me...I like Iron Sights co-wit to a micro optic...I used a Burris Fastfire on a riser...just my $0.02...kudos on bypassing the cheap junk and going to a bigboy optic straightaway!

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
Originally I wanted a PSA premium upper with the FN 1:7 barrel without the BCG married to a Spikes lower. I planned on a NiB bcg rated full auto with a multi caliber lower. Never having used a red dot before I was concerned with my ability to quickly aim a 1 MOA red dot in a stressful situation. So I was going to get a Vortex Spitfire DRT. I wanted the Diamondback integrated nite bright site system. I also wanted the Diamondback VRS rail sysem. All told it was going to run around $1,300. Well, there is this little problem called a wife.

Now I am settling for a Core 15 from Buds Gun Shop STA M3T 16 5.56 BLK 1-30RD $879.00 SHIPS FREE
which has the Diamond back sight system as well as the VRS rail system. Unfortunately it is a 1:9 twist on the barrel. What I plan on doing over time is upgrading the barrel to a 1:7 and the bcg to full auto in NiB.

I plan on going to the local BassPro as well as a local large gunstore to look through some red dot sights. If I feel confident I will purchase an eotech 512. Does the 512 have a quick release system?

I also plan on getting a Yankee Hill quick detach sound suppressor as well as the flash suppressor required for the QD suppressor. I am not going to get the cheap PMAGS but get some better onesl

After being handicapped by a clumsy neurosurgeon removing to ruptured disks in my neck I have recovered enough to start looking for work. For the Christians out there I request your prayers. For the atheists cross your fingers. If I can secure a decent paying position I can finally afford to get a divorce. Sad but necessary. I do not expect to be happy, just less unhappy. If I continue to improve ai hope to take up fly fishing againl

If anyone has recommendations on sling equipment please let me know. I have fnally settled on Federal Fusion 62 grain for self defense ammo. If you have any recommendations, please share.
Title of the thread is what my wife calls me......:lol::lol:....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Why so worried about a 1:7 twist? If all you're shooting is 62 grain Fusion (non-penetrator vs. 62 grain military penetrator ammo), 1:9 is great for that. Is it because "that's what the military has"? A 1:8 twist rate will stabilize most projectiles up to 77 grains.

Before you buy anything, if you haven't bought anything yet, figure out what you're going to use the rifle for first and then start modifying and tweaking. I'd take yocan's advice and call him for input if you haven't bought anything yet.

Pmags may be cheap in price, but they are GREAT in quality. Lots of video of them being run over by Humvees and other large vehicles and working just fine afterwards unlike many other brands.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Talked to him on phone. New thread purpose build awesome ar15 under $950 with mbus sights. 1/8 or 1 /7 doesn't matter

So I'm making the must have list and you guys help fill in the options or post up less expensive options. He wants 16" with keymod adjustable stock. Otherwise he's open to ideas
Upper blocks http://m.ebay.com/itm/121402658125?nav=SEARCH
Psa lower blems incliluding ffl shipping $100
Magpul mbus not the airsoft version combine shipping with other parts anyone upgrading to pros want to sell him a set? Psa has them if not$90

Lpk options http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10301/category/388/

Or http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2343/category/388/

Depends on preference. Personally I like the magpul trigger guard $10 but prefer the ergo grip... Can't go wrong its about your comfort.

Any railed upper with or without the cover and forward assist installed. (Help him source)

Where's the best place to get a keymod.

At this point we establish a cost with the barrel Bcg and CH left and within that budget we show the options

16" mid length he needs gas block(or shave where's the fsb shave thread) and tube. Barrel nuts part of keymod.

Bcg PSA bcm pros cons discuss psa$100 saves on shipping too
Stock CH or bcm mod 4?

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Posted this in another thread... Change what you want

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know it's expensive, but if he plans on using a suppressor later, I wouldn't do an AR without an adjustable gas block. I've got 2 of these and I don't think the design can be beaten by anything available now. It's a cliche, but it's also true..."buy once, cry once" and "do it right from the start". Anyway, enough of the cliches...here's the link:

Sentry 7 Series

They have keymod forearms also, but aren't cheap.

LOVE the mod 4 charging handle. Another one of those "don't want an AR without it" items.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I know it's expensive, but if he plans on using a suppressor later, I wouldn't do an AR without an adjustable gas block. I've got 2 of these and I don't think the design can be beaten by anything available now. It's a cliche, but it's also true..."buy once, cry once" and "do it right from the start". Anyway, enough of the cliches...here's the link:

Sentry 7 Series

They have keymod forearms also, but aren't cheap.

LOVE the mod 4 charging handle. Another one of those "don't want an AR without it" items.
Adjustable is higher adding $300 to the price due to pricey rails He could just get a gas buster charging handle and second buffer (h1+h2 all the parts to make them all) gotta stay under budget

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I hear ya about cost, but cut the keymod for now, get something inexpensive that will function and go for the adjustable gas block. Trying to tune with additional buffers and a gas buster charging handle still doesn't help with the gun getting beaten up by being so overgassed and is more complicated than a good adjustable gas block.

However, it's just my opinion and is worth exactly what was paid for it. Good luck with the budget and the build.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I hear ya about cost, but cut the keymod for now, get something inexpensive that will function and go for the adjustable gas block. Trying to tune with additional buffers and a gas buster charging handle still doesn't help with the gun getting beaten up by being so overgassed and is more complicated than a good adjustable gas block.

However, it's just my opinion and is worth exactly what was paid for it. Good luck with the budget and the build.
If he gets the suppressor he buys an adjustable gas block then.

Or he goes 2 years with a rifle he doesn't want.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If he gets the suppressor he buys an adjustable gas block then.

Or he goes 2 years with a rifle he doesn't want.

Roger, not trying to argue, just present options (that you've already thought of apparently).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I am the OP. Down the road I want to get a Yankee Hill quick detach suppressor. This will be my first and probably last AR15. I want to get it right. There are so many options I am totally lost. I do not even know what I do not know. I would like to have the keymod, but if I have to forgo it I will.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Hi, I am the OP. Down the road I want to get a Yankee Hill quick detach suppressor. This will be my first and probably last AR15. I want to get it right. There are so many options I am totally lost. I do not even know what I do not know. I would like to have the keymod, but if I have to forgo it I will.
Meh you'll be fine without an adjustable gas block.

And you say 1 Ar now..... Its a disease

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Title of the thread is what my wife calls me......:lol::lol:....
Yeah... I thought this was a marriage thread. LOL

EDIT: From my dear wife's point of view, of course :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL. Ok, an ignorant question is there any difference in cost between a mid length vs. carbine gas system?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Not really but a big difference in felt recoil... you'll also not be too overgassed with a mid-length.

Take your time, do some reading, and you'll get it right =)

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Not really but a big difference in felt recoil... you'll also not be too overgassed with a mid-length.

Take your time, do some reading, and you'll get it right =)
Which is why for the suppressor said don't worry.

Slower carrier speed has less wear and tear on parts. Less muzzle dip upon the bolt closing.

The uber cheap barrels aren't made in mid length for a decent barrel no price difference

1 - 20 of 33 Posts