Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting under this name, because I really don’t want guff on my "real" name.

I was not impressed at all with Jame's Re-Finish job.

Complaint #1 The Dura-Coat finish on the Loaded Chamber Indicator started to flake/peel off the first day I got it back withought firing. I noticed right away when I put a snap cap in the chamber.

Complaint#2 The Dura-Coat finish on the frame, surrounding the Loaded chamber Indicator, near the front of the ejection port has also started to peel. This occurred after the first time I fired the weapon, 3 days after I received it back

Complaint #3 The Dura-Coat finish was not smooth around the whole slide. There are flakes/artifacts on the top left edge of my slide, and also on the ribs where you grab onto the slide to cock it. Almost as if some dura-coat had perhaps dried a little in the airbrush, or the airbrush was not properly cleaned after a previous application.

Complaint #4 The barrel was not re-finished. Their may be a coat of clear-coat on it or something, but I would have rather had it re-finished black with a clear over that. I honestly believed it was going to come back finished matte black like the rest of my slide. When you get your barrel back like you sent it out, it looks like crap, and you feel jipped.

Complaint #5 It shipped out from in 3 days later than he said it would. (not that big of a deal, but when your told something, you count on what you heard.)

I chose james because you hear great things about his re-finishing, low prices and fast turn-around. You get what you pay for I suppose. Now im looking to get it re-finished again, but now am going with Tripp Research OR Springfield Armory to do it.

When I talked to james over the phone He was very polite. He also mentiond he had something like 40+ slides in. Maybe he is trying to hurry, maybe thier was something wrong with the Dura-Coat, who knows.

I just had a bad experence and would like to let fellow XD owners & board members know about it.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
This post doesn't mean squat to me!
1st. If your gonna complain, have the courage to fess up a name!!
2nd. Why are you posting this without first attempting to correct the problem with James. He is a very stand up person and am sure he will work this out.
:roll: :roll:

·
Registered
143 Posts
You said he was polite, did he not offer to make the gun right? I'm perplexed why you would come here and post this unless he has told you that he will not make it right, but that doesn't appear to be the case, is it?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Chill out. Seriously, why is it that everytime someone says something negative about anything (XDs, Ajames finish job, ammo, etc) someone has to jump in like they're bad mouthing their own mother? Things CAN be bad, it's okay. You don't have to freak out. This fellow just didn't get what he expected he would for his money. I would do the same thing if I sent my slide in expecting it to look better upon return and it did not. He shouldn't have to send his slide in twice to get what he wants, maybe he HAS contacted AJAMES about it, maybe he doesn't want to have his gun gone for another 2 weeks. Bottom line: settle down and use your head.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had AJames refinish a Walther P 1 for me, a gun he had never see before. He researched this gun and found out how to disassemble it, put the DuraCote ,2 colors, on it and reassembled it for me in a reasonable time frame.
I was completely satisfied with the work, the time frame, and the price.
AJames has always been quite concerned with my satisfaction on every transaction that I have had with him. Wish more business owners were like this, giving away your hard earned money would really be a pleasure.
My .02 worth. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can make everybody happy some of the time, some people happy all of the time, but you can NEVER EVER make all of the people happy all of the time. Stuff happens. The many positive remarks regarding Ajames' work that have been posted here far outweigh a single negative.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Anything that can be sprayed on, will eventually chip/flake/scratch off. Folks who find this awful (and I am one of them) should have their guns plated, parkerized or blued.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I think the guy was just voicing his disconcern, Im not for or against anyone. I believe people should be able to voice their positive as well as negatives on the board.

I do believe however that Ajames most likely would have made this right after hearing all the praises about his buisnessship.

Another note: I have a very good friend that has had problems with a service that someone on the board offers and everyone has praised. I wont state the situation since it did not directly affect me. But it is possible that not everyone is always happy with a service that most are happy with.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Like the above said, anything spray on can and will flake.

I say you didn't let it cure long enough.

If you have not the balls to post under your real name, your post don't mean dick. Its not like an admin couldn't take 2 minutes of flipping through IP addresses and find out what your real username is.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
chupacabrachus said:
...why is it that everytime someone says something negative about anything (XDs, Ajames finish job, ammo, etc) someone has to jump in like they're bad mouthing their own mother?
Chupacabrachus, not the situation here partner :) . You can search all of my post and not find anything to the contrary. I welcome all objective reviews and subjective complaints of products and services, be it of our forum’s Commercial Sponsors or other businesses. I agree, things can go bad and that’s ok. It is sad that this person did not receive the desired outcome for his gun.

My issue here is this person chose to post a very well written and precise subjective compliant holding someone accountable, yet chooses to be anonymous and therefore not accountable for his/her work. He/she chose to post under “MrAnonGuy” so not to “guff up my real name”, yet has no problems guffing up someone else’s name. Not a very level playing field!

No requirement for someone to post his or her “real” name or forum name. However anonymous complaints have no resolve and provide no credibility in helping decide as a consumer to support a business or purchase a product or service.

MrAnonGuy may well be a regular forum member and if so I would much rather hear it from that person. If that is the case I am more concerned that this member felt uncomfortable in not posting as such. No forum member should feel bad about noting an unsatisfactory product or service regardless of forum association. In this situation, I think James would feel bad, not mad, about the outcome of his work.
I sincerely hope this person contacts James. I'm sure he will make it right one way or another.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Again everyone,

No, I did NOT contact James about this, I do not want anything to do with him re-finishing my firearm again. I do NOT want to be withought my firearm for two weeks again, leaving me unprotected in the night.

I did not let it Cure long enough?
I thought this was done for you, he doesn’t put it in an oven to cure it for a couple of hours at XXX degrees? If he did not cure it in an oven, it was in the mail for 3 days. If I remember correctly the Dura-Coat cures in 24 hours withought heat, and you are able to shoot it at this point and is impervious to most solvents. However it does take a week to 100% fully cure.

The day I got it, I put a snap cap in the chamber, and immediately the Loaded Chamber indicator flaked. 3 days later, I was able to really shoot it, and it started to flake on the slide, near the ejection port ( a different spot than the first flaw)

Also I know for sure that the “fiber looking texture” on part of my slide, is not right. I have worked with an airbrush a couple of times and this would happen when some of the paint allowed to dry a little bit in the airbrush, or was not cleaned properly from the use before, sometimes you could adjust the nozzle flow and it would clear up.

If you don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. All of the profanity in the world doesn’t do anything for me or my firearms finish, or to disprove what happened to me.

I do not think I will spend any more time stating my case to this forum.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
MrAnonGuy said:
I am posting under this name, because I really don’t want guff on my "real" name.

I was not impressed at all with Jame's Re-Finish job.

Complaint #1 The Dura-Coat finish on the Loaded Chamber Indicator started to flake/peel off the first day I got it back withought firing. I noticed right away when I put a snap cap in the chamber.

Complaint#2 The Dura-Coat finish on the frame, surrounding the Loaded chamber Indicator, near the front of the ejection port has also started to peel. This occurred after the first time I fired the weapon, 3 days after I received it back

Complaint #3 The Dura-Coat finish was not smooth around the whole slide. There are flakes/artifacts on the top left edge of my slide, and also on the ribs where you grab onto the slide to cock it. Almost as if some dura-coat had perhaps dried a little in the airbrush, or the airbrush was not properly cleaned after a previous application.

Complaint #4 The barrel was not re-finished. Their may be a coat of clear-coat on it or something, but I would have rather had it re-finished black with a clear over that. I honestly believed it was going to come back finished matte black like the rest of my slide. When you get your barrel back like you sent it out, it looks like crap, and you feel jipped.

Complaint #5 It shipped out from in 3 days later than he said it would. (not that big of a deal, but when your told something, you count on what you heard.)

I chose james because you hear great things about his re-finishing, low prices and fast turn-around. You get what you pay for I suppose. Now im looking to get it re-finished again, but now am going with Tripp Research OR Springfield Armory to do it.

When I talked to james over the phone He was very polite. He also mentiond he had something like 40+ slides in. Maybe he is trying to hurry, maybe thier was something wrong with the Dura-Coat, who knows.

I just had a bad experence and would like to let fellow XD owners & board members know about it.
-----------------------

James owns a service business. You know this. If your not happy with the service / quality of his work, then you should take it up with him. To come onto this post and state what you did is ok, But, too not call him to have him deal with it is not fair on your part.

I was eating at IHOP the other day, 2nd time I have ever eaten there, first time the service was great as was the food. 2nd visit the food was cold, due to the lousy waiter being forgetfull, This guy could not even get us silverware after numerous times asking for it. Did I tell the waiter his service was lacking, yes. Did it help, no. So I went and found the manager and told him the problems, everything was corrected within minutes.

Problems do not get fixed if you do not say something to somebody who is in control. We, the forum members are not in control of his business or how he operates it.

No matter where you go and what you do, imperfect man is going to wait on you and service your needs. He made a mistake, fine. Now that you have willingly slandered his name, without giving him a chance to rectify the matter in one way or another maybe you should reconsider talking to him about it.

If you don't want him to touch your gun again, thats cool, I am sure he can understand that, But please, just send him an email describing who you are and what you got from him. He CANNOT fix a problem UNLESS he KNOWS about.

Obviously, he has turned out good, quality work in the past. This time, your time, something bad happened. Let him know about it, just as you have let us know about it.

You mention that :
"When I talked to james over the phone He was very polite. He also mentiond he had something like 40+ slides in. Maybe he is trying to hurry, maybe thier was something wrong with the Dura-Coat, who knows."
Then you say:
"No, I did NOT contact James about this"

???[/quote]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have been on the site enough to feel that Mr. Ajames would correct anything if there was a problem. I think the bigger problem is that we are expecting too much out of a material that is spray on and that is why I decided on hard chrome.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When I had a problem with Mahovsky's, they could have cared less.

Guys, James would totally do everything he could to make this guy happy if he knew about it.

My bi-tone "stainless" slide rusted in the mail. James called me to let me know that there was a problem with my slide, and he's gone well out of his way to make sure I'm happy.

It's unfortunate that this guy isn't going to give James a shot to make things right for him.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
pelican said:
I had AJames refinish a Walther P 1 for me, a gun he had never see before. He researched this gun and found out how to disassemble it, put the DuraCote ,2 colors, on it and reassembled it for me in a reasonable time frame.
I was completely satisfied with the work, the time frame, and the price.
AJames has always been quite concerned with my satisfaction on every transaction that I have had with him. Wish more business owners were like this, giving away your hard earned money would really be a pleasure.
My .02 worth. :D
Nice P38, by the way. :D

James posted pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Would you take a car through a commercial car wash the day after it was freshly painted? Duh.

If you're nieve enough to think that a couple days will cure something like this, maybe you should've consulted him first about length of time. I cannot begin to count the number of times he's said that letting it cure longer will only make it stronger.

His service is "slide refinishing", if you wanted the rest of it done, you probably should've mentioned it.

You said you didn't contact him about it. You didn't even give him the chance to make it right or refund your money, you'd rather hide behind an anonymous name and (attempt to) trash someone else's reputation.

Have fun being without your "protection" for a good month if you send it to Springfield.

Your arguements don't hold water pal, grow some balls and post under your real name.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ampleworks said:
Your arguements don't hold water pal, grow some balls and post under your real name.
+1

I myself am a noob around here but I would never trash ones good name due to this. Like stated before he is human, and humans make mistakes. You should have contacted him and tried to resolve this, before anonymously posting your negative comments. Just my 2 cents.

-Josh

P.S. I even give my real name.

·
Registered
437 Posts
James is a real great guy. He bent over backwards to get my work done for me and it back to me quick. Called me every step of the way to keep me updated. I think you should have contacted him and let him know before trashing his work on the forum. He does too much for this place for you to not give him a chance first to make it right. No one is perfect 100% of the time and you should just send it back to him and let him make it right and stop trashing him. I was out of a weapon for the week he had it and I didn't whine about it. If you cannot be without a weapon in the house for a week, maybe you should move.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
When I called James to enter the raffle he kept calling me sir. I don't like being called sir. I felt so... Dura-Coated. Call him he'll do you right. Just the kinda guy he is.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
VICIOUS said:
ampleworks said:
+1

I myself am a noob around here but I would never trash ones good name due to this. Like stated before he is human, and humans make mistakes. You should have contacted him and tried to resolve this, before anonymously posting your negative comments. Just my 2 cents.
+2

James is a stand up guy. He answered like 15 of my emails when I asked questions about the duracoat. What do you hope to accomplish by bitching here? I mean just like the IHOP example, have some balls call him up and let him make it right.
Have you every made a mistake in your life? I guess not were talking to christ here.

Your anonymous post does nothing but bring crap on yourself.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts