Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I went to the range yesterday. She picked up a few boxes of Wolf 9mm for me. Great price online. Well, I shot 250 rounds of the stuff thru my XD9. Not a happy camper. It was more like shooting a black powder pistol, that much smoke. I finished off the boxes she got for me (never look a gift horse in the mouth) and started in on a WWB wallyworld buy. My first ever FTE! On the first round of Win. Pulled the slide off, and the extractor looked like a half moon, that much gunk built up on it. I'm 99.999% sure it wasn't a build up of oil to attract anything, I clean it after every range trip. My only idea is the Wolf ammo. After a quick brushing, the XD performed flawlessly thru another 100 rounds (like I expected . No more Wolf for me! Has anyone else had any experience (good or bad) with Wolf(I'm not trying to slam this company, just a bad experience I don't want to repeat)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I haven't put a single round of Wolf through my XD. I've read way too many posts like yours to even try the stuff.

I'm sure you're right that the dirty ammo was the culprit for your FTE. I know I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
There are some things Wolf is good for, and some things it isn't. If you're shooting an AK or and SKS or something (i.e., something sloppy), then by all means, shoot Wolf, and just clean it up when you're done. But for guns with high tolerances like the XD, I wouldn't let Wolf near it.

Of course, this is entirely my personal and non-scientific view of things...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I shoot Wolf regularly, in my 1911s, my XD9 and my AR, and I have never had an ammo related problem. Can't say the same for WWB.

I do agree that it is dirty ammo and good cleaning discipline may be what's keeping me out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I shoot a ton of Wolf through all my guns!
1 out of 1000 rounds maybe i will have a problem.....
I follow a strict cleaning routine!
I completely strip my XD 9 SC after 2 trips to the range and I Field Strip it every time after firing!

·
Registered
580 Posts
mr0w1 said:
There are some things Wolf is good for, and some things it isn't. If you're shooting an AK or and SKS or something (i.e., something sloppy), then by all means, shoot Wolf, and just clean it up when you're done. But for guns with high tolerances like the XD, I wouldn't let Wolf near it.

Of course, this is entirely my personal and non-scientific view of things...
i've kept to this philosophy. i know people do REALLY well with wolff in their pistols though. i might try it...but i'm happy with the way things are now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i know i've bought several cases of Wolf .223 for my Bushmaster...only to have FTE every other round after a couple hours of shooting....and seeing blown out firing pins, broken extractors, etc....which require bolt work and that can get expensive on very expensive weapons.....i still have several hundred rounds that will stay where they are until i run out of military ammo or WW3 starts and i need somethin to keep the towel heads away...but dont they make some kinda spray for that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm always a little surprised to see this come up. I switched from WWB to Wolf for the price and have not had any problems. I probably have 2500 rds through my xd, wolf prob accounting for 1500, the only hiccup being with wwb from wally world.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I
Wolf ammo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shoot a lot of Wolf and, yes, it's a bit dirtier then normal. But for the price it's going for around here I'll clean a little more often if I have to.

I go 2000-3000 between cleanings and haven't had a reliability problem yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my comment on wolf, I have shot several thousand rounds in my 9X18 makarovs without any problems, havent bought any of it 40 cal to try. also i have shot lots of barnal too, it is in fack very nasty ammo, and the old com bloc guns love it. at $5 a box I can deal with the extra smoke, I just wish I could get 40 cal that cheap. :) my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
The older manufactured Wolf Ammo has a lacquer coating on the case. If you shoot a lot of ammo at one time as I am sure most of us do the lacquer heats up and deposits inside barrel and slide of pistol. I purchased a Bushmaster and received a warning about Wolf ammo it said if you use it you void your warranty. However my shooting buddy had some new manufactured Wolf ammo that didn't appear to have lacquer coating on it. Hope this helps :D :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Firearms i cherish do not have wolf put through them. Something about a steel case in my steel chamber and steel on my extractor........ :?

I shoot it in my AK.

It is dirty ammo, dirtier than WWB. Laquer build up with the old stuff gummed up everyting. The new polymer coating is better but still has a distinctive odor left in the gun after use.

With regard to extraction problems, i noticed that Winchester's rim on the case is a little looser on my XD's, when compared to other ammo. Just a little different case design. A little adjustment should do the trick if extractions are a problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I like wolf. I have never had an issue with it other than it being very dirty. Plus the stuff is as soft as a kitten to shoot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts